“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It really is worth the trip into the foreign lands of Olivedale. It is in an unusual space, and had it not been for the raving reviews, I might never have bothered calling and going for dinner. It's not generally the norm that I have a three course meal and happily walk out the restaurant not feeling stuffed, or unhappy with at least one course. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and the pavlova at the end is worth a second visit. The meringue not sweet, the strawberries fresh, was a lovely end to an incredible pasta dish and salad. It's very far from my usual eateries, but given the quality of the food, I intend on eating my way through their incredible menu. It's worth trying, if not because of all the rave, just at least to form ones own opinion.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Itumeleng

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“high end italian dining”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

owned and run by mother and daughter team Luciani and Chiara, this award winning italian resteraunt in a non descript suburban mini mall, has won many prestigious awards for its fine dining, imaginative combinations, sublime pastas made on sight and to order with each new order. Eating here is an adventure in gastronomy. Try gnocchi pillows in a dolce di latte gorgonzola and walnut sauce, leave room for the amazing rich cheese cake, and everything on the menu is sublime. Daily specials also are adventurous and amazing. Good wine choices of S.A and italain wines, Amazing personal service, you MUST BOOK for a meal at least A WEEK IN ADVANCE, IT IS SO POPULAR. PHONE AND BOOK YOUR TABLE NOW 011-7046493. Lunch and dinnder Tuesday-SATURDAY, AND LUNCH ON SUNDAY ONLY.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank goldy61
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best Italian in Joburg hands down”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've been to many of the Italian restaurants in Joburg and this is always my favorite. The food is here classic italian with a twist and all their dishes have impressed me. Absolutely make sure you make a reservation before ocming here as they do get packed and it would be a shame to drive all the way out to Olivedale (far from the city center) to get turned away!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Johnny C
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Definitely a highlight”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We went to Cafe Del Sol with a group of friends (7 girls) and enjoyed every moment. Great atmosphere, great service, tastefully decorated premises. I had the Parma Ham Parcels with artichokes as a starter, which were delicious. However, I was really impressed by my main course, the Risotto with fresh porcini. I hardly choose risotto in restaurants as it is difficult to find a really good one. But since I haven't had porcinini in such a long time and really felt like it, I gave it a try. This was definitely one of the best risottos I've ever had!
Regarding the previous reviewer, yes, the food might be a bit more expensive than your average Italian but it's worth every cent. I also think that the size of the portions is good - keeping in mind that at a proper Italian place, one is supposed to have Antipasti, Primi and Secondi. I couldn't even finish my two courses.
I highly recommend this place and look forward to when they'll open a branch in Cape Town:-)

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank bineK
“A little disappointing...”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

... and undoubtedly not too popular for this review.

It seems that what starts out 'as a winner' sometimes looses it's luster after a while.

After much hype from friends we finally succumbed to this 'foodie peer pressure' and went along to Cafe Del Sol. We were pleasantly surprised by the ambience.

The menu, albeit interesting, if one likes Fusion Food, is not too italian - neither is the lack of bread on the table...

What really annoyed us most are the portion sizes, especially considering the prices... Successful italian eateries in JHB traditionally served pasta dishes in PANS, large enough for two... no such luck here (although they certainly charge as if you'd get a pan). One of the starters we ordered could best be described as a Taster... three measly italian spring rolls, each about 2 cm long and thin as you like... a mouth-full at best...

A prawn and chorizo pasta with three prawns, which were more like Scampi? Come on, at your prices you can actually put a couple of nice big boys on there...

We finished the meal on a positive note (except for the huge bill) - the home made ice cream is superb.

• Visited September 2013