“Booking advised!”

Cnr Cafe Bistro and Deli
Ranked #40 of 1,204 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Cafe, Delicatessen, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Booking advised!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Finding the Cnr Cafe in an established leafy suburb of Johannesburg was a really good experience. We had fortunately booked a table for lunch and due to it's popularity, would advise anyone to do the same.
Greeted by friendly staff, our table was ready for us. Drinks quickly served - great variety of wine and beer to choose from - we were then left with menu, trying ti decide what to eat was not easy, everything sounded delicious. We opted for pizzas which have the most unusual toppings and fish and chips, not cod or hake though but salmon done in a beer batter!
Too full for desert, we had coffee - served hot, one of the best cappuccino coffees I have had for a long time!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank sharjahsuzy

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely spot for lunch”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Although they are open in the evenings, I have only ever been there for business lunches. They have a standard menu together with a lunch special menu that changes every now and again. The lunch special menu has very interesting combinations which are fun to try. I do however sometimes have the need to order something healthy other than a salad & here they are lacking a bit. But overall a nice place. Make sure to get a table outside on a nice sunny day.

Sydney
“Great suburban boutique cafe”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Great food and atmosphere , highly recommend the calamari and haloumi burger , definitely visit again

• Visited December 2013
Johannesburg
“Usually good, but growing inconsistency”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'm usually very happy with Corner Cafe, and have recommended it to several people. However, I probably won't be recommending it again after having a number of poor experiences and having noticed a decline in the quality of some of the dishes.

This last Sunday we arrived at about 09h30 (not very busy yet), and only received our food at 11am - over an hour after ordering. The waiter told us that the kitchen didn't know what they were doing because some of the staff hadn't shown up because they were "phuza phuza" the night before and hence hungover. Not once did a manager arrive to apologise, or offer any kind consolation for having to wait so long - terrible service considering we are regulars.

When the food finally did arrive (not all at the same time), it was well below their usual standard. They forgot the avocado on the famous Corn Fritter, and what used to be a beautifully constructed dish was at the low point of what I've noticed over time as a gradual decline into a messy mound of ingredients. My fried egg was still uncooked on top, and I had an upset stomach for the remainder of the day - most likely because of the egg I'm assuming. (It couldn't have been the bacon that did it given how burnt it was)

This really is unacceptable. I may revisit in a few months, but for now I'm going to explore my options in Parkhurst and 7th Avenue, as well as revisit Doppio Zero in Greenside which always delivers the goods.

I hope when I return things have improved enough for me to be a regular again.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank BlakeRSA
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Boring ”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Boring food, not particularly well cooked. Same menu for years. Big ladies who lunch type spot they clearly don't arrive with discerning palates. Besides sitting on the edge of a car park does not fill me with glee. Nice owner, average staff non-descript wine list.