“Great location, good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Don Rosebank

Don Rosebank
Ranked #53 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Ottawa
“Great location, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My visit to the Don was a few years back. I enjoyed the big rooms, the fact that there was a kitchen and I was within a short walk of everything I need (the Rosebank Mall, restaurants, movie theatre, etc).
If/when I go back to Joburg, I'll try the Don again.

Room Tip: I felt very safe here, but as someone who has lived in, and visited South Africa for a long time, I...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gam70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Southport, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Don't be confused and expect a hotel - it's not. Don Rosebank is a serviced apartment complex with very large rooms, albeit, very old decor. The location saves Don Rosebank, as it's in a very-safe residential area, only a 3 minute walk from the Rosebank Mall.

Staff are ok nothing spectacular.
Will try the Crowne Plaza next time - this property did not meet my needs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Inglewood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Rooms are super spacious with kitchen and living room. The area is very nice safe and clean. There are two malls from walking distance (3 min. walk), African Market is located in one of them. You can easily use the metro line (Gautrain) since the airport to Rosebank station. You can go to Sandton and other nice areas with the metro. It is much cheaper than taking a taxi, which are not sitting on the street waiting for passengers. I searched for any info here about transfer from the airport and got mixed information. I searched on line and found a very nice shuttle company which I set a round trip price of $600. The company is called SafeShuttle4you, the driver was waiting for me on my arrival and got super early to pick me up for my departure flight! I exchanged emails with them and everything worked out fine. The hotel itself is very good and has an elevator and the staff is ready to give information out.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gilberto40
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

I travelled to South Africa for the first time in the company of my wife to attend an international conference. I did the booking through the internet and everything was okay when we arrived. The sitting room and bedroom were very spacious and well kept. All appliances were in good working condition and the hotel staff were well behaved and ready to help at the slightest opportunity. The only snag I had was the fact that free internet facility was not available- you have to pay for it which I found odd as this facility is now standard in most hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank AB10_10
Hanalei, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed at the Don Rosebank for 4 nights while we were in Jo'berg during the world cup and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. It was within walking distance to the mall, in a safe area, and the rooms were HUGE, especially for the price. The staff was really friendly, they helped us with any questions we had and arranged taxi hires without any delay. The only thing we were bummed on was the bed, as it was two twin's pushed together to make a bigger bed and the bedding was sort of hotel 7-ish. Overall though we would stay here again I think.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Murrrs
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2008

This hotel is situated in a very nice suburban area, and I took the taxi from the airport which cost about 350 Rand (7.5 Rand to $1 USD). My driver, a new immigrant from Zimbabwe, had a little difficulty looking for the hotel, but signs saying “rosebank hotel” led us to it. The façade is simple with steps leading up to the reception where service was straightforward. I was given a room on the first floor (Room 104) which was big with a large kitchen and counter. I did not notice any airconditioning but the room was not warm at all and if the windows were slightly open fresh air went in well (March 2008 weather was just right). The bathroom was small though with standup shower, and it was hard to contain the water because of the small plastic/glass partition so water would wet the floor when I showered. Hot water was quick and easy to control. The room was cleaned adequately everytime I left. The location is perfect since the hotel is walking distance to a mall which has great food choices, including a bakery with fresh stuff daily. The mall also has a curio/souvenir shop but prices are higher and vendors a bit pushy. But I felt safe in the mall and the hotel neighborhood was safe. There is money exchange at a far side of the mall, forgot which side but it gave better exchange than the one at the airport (bring your passport when exchanging money).I did hire a driver and car to go to Sun City and Pilanesburg national reserve which is about 2.5-3 hours north of Johannesburg, depending on traffic. My driver was 62 yo “J.R.” of the Venda tribe who was experienced and drove well, unlike my newbie driver from Zimbabwe from the airport. It is wise to get the most experienced driver to drive you around. The room also had a security safebox which was easy to program, and I left my laptop at the front desk with no problems. Breakfast was excellent with several choices including hot sausages and tomatoes, beans, and eggs can be cooked according to your liking. There was also quick room service, although they ran out of bottled water when I called. But the food was okay. Overall, a safe convenient location in a Johannesburg suburb, which probably would be perfect for small families and those new to Johannesburg. Note: SA very strict with having one page blank “back-to-back” on your passport for visa placement (I almost got sent home! “Amendments page” on USA passport not considered “blank”)

• Liked — located near mall, great choices in breakfast
  • Disliked — porter did not help much with luggage
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JumpingNorman
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2006

This was a great value for what you got. The rooms were well maintained, and clean. the staff was very friendly, and helpful. Good neighbourhood, short walkt to a local mall (good eats and cafes there). We really enjoyed our stay there.... well everything but the tiny elevator (not made for claustrophobics!!)
Would recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Stayed April 2005