“Perfect venue for romance or few good friends”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Perfect venue for romance or few good friends”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We attended an engagement party in the Melrose Arch Hotel penthouse suite - WOW! such luxury. We were treated to our own 2 barmen, 1 hostess, Executive Chef and assistant Chef. I felt like a princess. Welcome drinks were an array of different alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails at the pool area before we proceeded to the 5th floor. The food was superb, the service was fantastic and the decor and ambience was faultless. A fabulous evening all round.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Lucrecia1511
I had a look at your pics – coupled with your excellent feedback, and speaking to the TEAM, sounds like you guys had a party to remember!
At the African Pride Melrose Arch our purpose is around creating special memories – we are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations!
We look forward to welcoming you back, possibly for a honeymoon party….enjoy the wedding!!
All the best.
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Loved it, centrally located in Melrose Arch, crawling distance to all restaurants. Arrived at 2pm, check in took a bit long and they gave us a smoking room. They changed it very quickly for us. Went down to the pool for some oysters and champagne, exqusite. Check out was seemeless.

Room Tip: noise off the street can be loud but then it was new years eve!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Seanvaderwalker
Champagne and oysters are the call of the day - glad to hear you had a moment to enjoy it all!
Thank you very much for saying with us, and for commenting on your excellent stay. Please accept my apology for the delay on arrival, I will look into this with the Front Office TEAM. The Melrose Arch precinct is great, and has a myriad of activities to complement the hotels services and facilities.
We look forward to having you back!
See you soon.
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I was here for almost 6 weeks,. Everything is special, from the doormen to reception, check in is a breeze.
Rooms are large and well laid out. Free Internet is a bonus.
Hotel meals are expensive, but there is a huge range of restaurants just outside within the safety of the compound.

Room Tip: Ask for a room around the back
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Knuddys
Dear Knuddys
Thank you for the excellent comments, my TEAM really appreciate the feedback!
From the special mention to the WOW - it is our pleasure to host you!
See you soon!
Best regards
Toronto
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had a short 1-night stay at the Melrose Arch between flights and had a wonderful time here. We didn't use the room service but the service at reception was very friendly and quick.

The location was great because it is located in Melrose Arch - a small and safe community/mall with shopping, restaurants, and bars around. Because we were just staying one night there, it was great to be able to just walk out and explore the area without much effort.

The hotel room itself was fantastic and very comfortable. It had a comfortable bed, rain shower and large bathtub. It had a great vibe to it and reminded us of the W hotels but with more character. We also had a chance to walk around the hotel - the outdoor pool area looked fantastic with some cabanas, hammocks, even some tables in a shallow pool. It's unfortunate we arrived too late to use it. Because it was a one-night stopover for us between more remote locations, the free wifi was great to help us get connected for the evening.

The breakfast was great with lots of variety - I wish I hadn't been in a rush that morning.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Melrose Arch and wish we could have spent another day (or more) there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chriso416
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Christo416
I am very pleased to hear that you had an excellent stay and that the TEAM took good care of you!
The hotel’s location is an ideal base whilst visiting Johannesburg.
The Melrose Arch precinct has numerous dining and retail facilities for local and international travelers.
If you wish to venture out, the hotel also offers a courtesy shuttle service to Sandton and Rosebank.
Hopefully on your next visit to South Africa, you will have a little more time to explore some of the other beautiful attractions Johannesburg has to offer!
Safe travels.
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I live 5 kilometers from Melrose Arch. In a flight of fancy I thought we, my girlfriend and I should be local travellers and enjoy a local getaway.

We were more than pleasantly surprised by the amenities and friendly service. All the staff were helpful and clearly well trained. My only criticism was that it felt a little OTT (Over The Top) at times. Maybe I'm just not used to people being overly nice even in hospitality!

I would criticize their in-room dining service. We ordered a couple of sodas and the mini-cans arrived. I breathe down a mini-can at the best of times. When we requested a couple of larger cans they told us they didnt have any. I'm addition to which the delivery took almost an hour.

Aside from in-room dining issues, the capped wifi is a bit of an irritation. As an international traveller the norm is free and uncapped wifi.

All in all the service, experience and result was great and we enjoyed a few hours in the guest library/den as well as a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant, which is worth going to as a dining experience on its own. It is lovely walking around Melrose Arch and enjoying the window shopping experience while perusing the market stalls, set up on weekends.

Would I say "you should go to the Melrose Arch Hotel?"
"YES definitely!"

Enjoy it

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Mr. Thabang Skwambane
The TEAM are here to provide OTT service!
It was a privilege to host you for your local getaway!
Thank you for the detailed comments regarding your weekend – sounds like you had a great break!!
We do offer in house GUESTS complimentary WIFI, the vouchers issued are limited to 500Mb per voucher, I will reiterate the point with our front desk TEAM.
I will look into and address the service delays with regards to our in room dining – please accept our apologies for this.
I am very pleased to see that your return is an overwhelming YES – look forward to personally welcoming you back!
See you soon!
Best regards
London
Reviewed 20 May 2012

i stayed at this hotel, was impressed with the breakfast , and friendly staff.
very safe and enjoyed every moment, but disappointed with the laundry service. my clothes were
returned in this lovely black box , but was horrified . my clothes was returned not properly ironed
and marks that were never there in the first place.

Room Tip: the standard rooms are nicely done and would definitely want to come back.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Dear Kieron F
Thank you very much for selecting the AP Melrose Arch as your hotel of choice when travelling to JHB.
It is an absolute pleasure to host you, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service, breakfast and that the TEAM looked after you!
Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor delivery in our laundry service. We have an outsourced service provider that operates our laundry, and have taken them to task regarding your feedback.
I take full ownership of this service lapse, and would like to be in contact with you directly in this regard. Can you kindly contact me on gm@melrosearchhotel.com as I would personally like to discuss this matter with you.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Kind regards
Jean-Claude
London, UK
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here for three nights as part of a business trip - the staff were all very welcoming and helpful, the rooms were large and the beds are exceptionally comfortable! Also had a nice big bath and rain shower, which was very welcome after an 11 hour flight! Food was also very good - lots of selection at breakfast, however venture out into Melrose Arch to find some really GREAT food - my recommendations would be Tasha's (for amazing salads, seafood and brunch), Lulu's (for a 'Frosti' coffee) and Orient which had some outstanding Asian food. Also great nearby is the Grillhouse in Rosebank Mall - enormous steaks, a comprehensive SA wine cellar and fantastic service. Anyway, back to the hotel... I didn't get the chance to use the spa or pool area, but both looked very nice. The only downside was the service in the hotel bar - pretty slow, even when you just ordered a bottle of water... I would stay here again though - it's in a safe, secure 'compound' area with loads of cafes and restaurants to explore. I have no idea how close it is to some of the other Jo'Burg attractions, but for us it provided an excellent base.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear BaddyTravels

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay, sounds like you had a great culinary tour of the best of what the hotel and the Melrose Arch precinct has to offer! The hotel is an ideal base should you wish to experience some of Johannesburg's tourist attractions - The Cradle of Humankind a World Heritage Site, is only 48km from the hotel.
Your comments regarding the bar service have been addressed with my TEAM. I would like to assure you that service delivery is our priority - delays of any sort are not acceptable.
Please let me know when you are traveling back to JHB as it would be our pleasure to host you again!
Kind regards