Took a friend to Melrose Arch for her birthday, and have to say the stay was not what one would expect from a 5 star luxury hotel. The hotel was to full capacity, and the amount of staff could not cope, it was chaos at the pool bar, and pandemonium at breakfast.
The hotel rooms were okay, quirky and weird, but you could not complain at the size or the amenities. We were shown to our room, and the porter did little to show us the operations of the TV, or DVD system, and we had to ring for assistance later in the day.
We went for lunch in March, the food was beautiful, and the staff were really good, and brought cake for my friends birthday. The restaurant did only have two tables in, so we were well looked after.
In the afternoon we went to the pool deck, and there was a party taking place, and only two bar staff. The area was not well cleaned, the staff had no chance to clean glasses or move anything, so it looked very unkept. We waited a while and eventually were served a very boring strawberry Daquiri, in a plastic glass (no problem, it was the pool area) with not even a slice of any garnish, and it could quite easily have been served as a cold drink.
The following morning, breakfast was just a complete grab what you could from cutlery, to food to a waitress etc. I asked where the bacon was to a chef, and was told sorry you order from the waitress?? Then the waitress said" no you get it yourself" she took my order after i told her that was contradictory to what the kitchen staff had told me, anyway it turned up 30 mins later. My friend had finished her food, much before mine had arrived. All the hot food etc was buffet style?? odd, very odd, that if you wanted an eggs benedict, or just bacon, it was waiter service, with not enough waiters!
We were up and down, stealing butter from empty tables, knives and try to get a second coffee was near on impossible, needless to say, not what you expect for a leisurely sunday breakfast. to be honest it was really really poor, food not hot when it arrived, long waits, just awful. we actually felt sorry for the few waiters we could see, they were running around like idiots.
Mr Manager, don't fill the rooms if you have not enough staff to cope! it really is not fair to your clients who are paying for 5 star service, we would have been better going to Wimpy for breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn't ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where decor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg