“Great stay!”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Melrose Arch is chic, modern, cutting edge. Loved this hotel. Fun, great service and an excellent location! I would definitely stay here again when in Joberg again. Rooms were large, & comfortable. Food was fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Carol M
Thank you for the chic comment!
The TEAM are proud to have lived up to delivering a great experience - we are delighted to hear you had such an amazing stay!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Traveling for business...

I would definitely stay at this Hotel again. Great staff, always friendly, inviting and helpful. We were always greeted for breakfast since it was our favorite part of the day. The hotel lights show the true colors of Africa throughout the hotel, including the room. Turn down service every night and M&M's in the morning :)

Located in a great, safe area full of shopping and restaurants. Honestly you can't go wrong with an overall experience.

PS the safe is behind a picture frame on the wall...

Room Tip: I had a view overlooking the pool and the courtyard. Not much of a "view" but it was fine...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ngmeckley

Dear ngmeckley
Our TEAM take great pleasure to ensure that you feel at home from the moment you arrive!
Thanks for staying with us, our breakfast is the best way to start your day!
We cannot wait to welcome you back!
Kind regards

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights during December break 2013. When we arrived, our luggage was taken to our room for us and reception was friendly enough. The room was trendy, clean, and the bed was comfortable. We had a view overlooking the pool, which I would recommend. Little touches of the room were great- M&M's at the table each night and the safe located behind the picture. Breakfast was good, but make sure you get there before 10:30. They start taking all the food away exactly at 10:30. The hotel is centrally located in Melrose Arch and you felt very safe eating the restaurants and shopping at the stores in Melrose Arch. We sat the pool one day. The pool was very trendy -you can eat lunch at tables that are located in the water. There is also a deep end where you can take a dip. The pool boys weren't that accessible, as we needed water and had to ask several people for water before it actually arrived. We hired a private driver through the hotel to take us to Soweto and Mandela's home. He was great and explained everything we needed to know. We felt very safe in his car and would recommend booking a tour through the hotel. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel when in JoBerg.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JetsFan85x

Dear JetsFan85x
The TEAM enjoyed reading your experiences of the hotel and travels through JHB!
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our beautiful hotel.
We are pleased that you had such a memorable stay - see you soon!
Best regards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

After my last awful stay here I wanted to try it again after the MD of the hotel assured me a fantastic stay the next time... I even had the MD of their sister hotel ring ahead to Mr McMenamin to assure all was well... I stayed there for two nights being the 19th and 29th April 2013. Again as part of a two for one voucher offer given by the Prokard scheme.

Sadly all was far from well... Many of the same reasons from my last stay sadly... Lets just say the room was filthy. Hairs in the showers on the towels in the beds... Laundry is always going to be a problem here it seems... Internet which was included in the room didn't work. TV would not work and the light next to the bed was faulty and was giving people an electrical shock when you turned it on...

I complained to the front desk and was told hotel at full capacity no rooms availaible. I then rang the reservations team from my mobile to book a room, and was told they had several rooms available... So the lies and non sense began.

I contacted the MD Mr McMenamin given I had his emails and was even given his cell number in case of any problems and was told by text "My PA Zene is there, we have addressed all the matters and I have upgraded you to a room I have personally checked. All will be in order. Enjoy the rest fo your stay regards, Jean-Claude."

I arrived back at the hotel to move to the new room and was told there was no room to be moving to, and the front desk knew nothing about this.... I returned to me room to have two long dark brown hairs on the freshly laid towels in the room.. I had arrived late to the hotel so I rang downstairs to ask if Zene was still in the hotel. I was told she was so I went downstairs only to bump in Zene and a gentleman caller n the lift on the way to reception, both looking very worse for wear. I hoped they had been sleeping but it is not relevant. She was in the hotel and then tried to address the issues but after almost an hour of simply wanting a clean room Zene inspected three and I was left right where I was the night before. I will say I did over hear that the room had been used by Zene but I could not care less if this was true of not... I should not have needed another room. The one I was given should have been to the appropriate level of cleanliness and safety.

I think if you are able to put up with getting hair in your sheets and pubic hairs on your towels - which you notice as you dry your face - and like electrical shocks when you turn on the lights, this is the hotel for you. Personally if you put five stars up on your front door... You need to get the basics right. Cleanliness is not optional in a hotel... Basic electrical issues are not acceptable in my opinion.

It also sadly speaks to how a hotel is run when senior management tell a guest they will do one thing and then do not do anything at all. It is not a five star treatment but it comes with a five star bill thats for sure! R3000 a night is not small change and given the cleanliness issues and the basic electrical items safety in the room... I personally am not sure it is worth it!!

Room Tip: It is important as guests that we get what we pay for. Check your room is clean. Complain to the m...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Mr Watmough
Thank you very much for staying with us and for your feedback; the TEAM look forward to hosting you again in February 2014!
As discussed, the matters where necessary, were addressed with my TEAM at the time, and corrective training was implemented to avoid any shortcomings in the future - I am positive you will experience an excellent stay on your return.
See you soon - personal best!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We started by having a drink at the bar where you sit with your feet in the pool! From crazy leopard décor to ultra modern design, this hotel offered a trendy alternative in Johannesburg. The location is excellent, with access to super modern and high end shopping, and the rooms are super chic - like a W hotel basically, with a very trendy feel. Don't expect over-the-top service, as no on in Johannesburg seems to be very service-oriented, but count on a super amazing room, location, locale and breakfast!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Leilani L
The best possible start to your summer stay at the AP Melrose Arch, is sitting barefoot in the pool with a drink!
Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with us and for staying at the hotel.
We have just completed a revised service training course throughout the hotel, and would like to assure you that all areas have been looked into.
The TEAM look forward to hosting you soon!
Best regards

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Overall great stay. The decor was super modern and beautiful. Rooms are spacious, comfortable, and every last detail down to the rubber duckies on the tub were thought of. LOVED that the safe was hidden behind a picture of a guy looking behind a picture for a safe. My husband liked the green lights in the shower area because he thought it made him look like the incredible hulk. We got a bit of attitude from one receptionist, but the rest were positively lovely. Also had some drainage issues with the shower that we asked the front desk to address, but we're doubtful anyone ever came. Regardless, we had a great experience. The hotel is situated in the middle of Melrose Arch, a lovely gated area filled with great shopping, restaurants and fun.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear MissyJ23
The TEAM wondered where the Incredible Hulk went to!
Thanks for the excellent feedback, and for staying with us - the Melrose Precinct is JHB's best destination. The TEAM are glad you discovered it, and look forward to welcoming you back in 2014!
See you soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

On our arrival reception wasn't very welcoming, noisy reception area. The Staff members were not helpful when asked for directions to nearby. No assistance with luggage, no free parking, lighting was weird especially in elevator and hallway. Nice hotel room but overall unsatisfactory service.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Fatima A
Thank you very much for staying with us and for the feedback.
The TEAM were extremely disappointed to read that you did not have a great stay, all the points mentioned have been looked into and addressed. I will personally be in touch, and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Have a great 2014!