“Good but some room for improvement”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and is one of the safest parts of town.
The hotel has a nice funky vibe which was slightly eccentric a few years ago but is now getting a bit tired.
The welcome on arrival was excellent. Warm and efficient--perfect after 15 hours of flying ! The rooms are fun and spacious.
Internet access is expensive. It cost me around 30 pounds sterling a day adding an extra 120 pounds to my bill. In addition, internet access is clunky, slow and far from intuitive. his cost is excessive as my internet usage was not massive by any active business traveller standard.
While the atmosphere is aged funky, on occasions, it can feel that the staff are having a party and not particularly focused on guests, particularly if the restaurant is quiet. I was impressed that management took this seriously when I raised it with them.
There is no gym but there is a Virgin Active nearby. It is a bit naughty of the hotel not to tell guests that their voucher is being charged to their room.
The travel desk is fantastic and the staff there are professional, polite and happy to focus on their customers. They organised my trips around Johannesburg very efficiently and provided excellent recommendations for restaurants.
The rooms were well serviced and laundry service was prompt and clothes delivered in good condition.
I left with a strong impression that this hotel is a good place but that it has almost lost its five star sparkle. It may need a revamp of the infrastructure but, more urgent, is addressing the patchy quality of service and the poor and expensive internet access. Would I go back ? Yes as I am sure that management really want things to improve.

Room Tip: Clarify the cost of wifi beforehand.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Dugie C

Thank you for the detailed manner in which you have directed your Tripadvisor review. I am delighted that we had an opportunity to meet and sort out the issues around the restaurant whilst you were here and were able to immediately address this with STAFF. I can already assure you of the massive positive response from the TEAM to assist in making our GUEST experience a wonderful one. I was very distressed to have learned about the Internet access that was slow and clunky and requested our service provider to complete an audit on reception and functionality to ensure a smooth connection in future. The fact that you were not informed of the gym charges is completely unacceptable and addressed with the Front Office TEAM. Please accept our sincere apologies for that.

But that brings us to the positive responses on the welcome at reception, the feedback on the wonderful rooms and of course our super efficient travel desk. I am delighted that your overall impression was a good one and that addressing the above issues will assist us in delivering the five star experience expected!

We look forward to welcoming you back as a discerning traveller!

Tania Malan

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

It's my first stay at Melrose and I have to say the hotel is superb. Used to stay in Sandton all the time but the Melrose Arch is a jewel.
The service in all areas is great and very friendly. The room is fantastic and very comfortable. Has a bit of a naughty approach but great. A place to be

The hotel bar is fantastic with its open fire place.

I will be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Helmut A
Wow, what an accurate and amazing review! Thank you so much for putting our personality into words. I am completely enthralled by your response and delighted you enjoyed this property to its full extend. We are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards

Tania Malan

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I have been to this hotel now 3 times and have aways had a great experience.

It is well located in JoBurg in an area called Melrose Arch. I often travel to JoBurg with my job and can frequently be here on my own. As a one female traveller I am quite particular about where I stay.

This hotel is within very short walking distance of a number of good restaurants, cafés and some great shops that make it a perfect location if you want to get out and about.

Very safe area with lots to do very close by.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank JessTurner
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear JessTurner,

I would love to thank you for the exceptional feedback!

Another highlight of our stunning property is definitely being located in Sandton’s exclusive suburb of Melrose. I am glad you had a chance to experience all the exciting adventures the Melrose Arch Precinct has to offer!

We are so looking forward to welcoming you back for your 4th stay.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

They went out of their way to make our stay special. Birthday cake in bed. The best part of the Hotel is the restaurant. With private booths, individually themed, the atmosphere is set for a five star meal. This is one of the Hotels i enjoy coming back to. Not the run of the mill, but a place where you can forget the world and let go...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Airvertise,

This is an overwhelming message left for us on Tripadvisor, and what an amazing pleasure it is to say thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Your comment encompasses the passion that this Hotel has for its spectacular GUESTS and we are delighted that you enjoyed our energy.

We do hope you will be with us soon again to enjoy the splendour even further.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have stayed at the Melrose Arch many times and it has remained consistent over the years.
The rooms are funky (rubber duckies in the bathtubs!) and the safe is hidden from view in a particularly fun clever way. The TV's need updating but other than that it is a consistently good hotel with good staff and the ovation is great. In Melrose Arch which has a good selection of restaurants and stores.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear ScatherbrainP
It must be the most rewarding feeling in the world as a General Manager of such a prime property to receive accolades to the likes of your post! I am so pleased that the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel still offer you the charm and amazing service that is expected of us! Thank you for your words of praise! It is highly appreciated!
Tania

Reviewed 21 July 2014

When staying in this area in Johannesburg, you may well read that the Melrose Arch hotel is the best in the area. What you read is possibly right. I have stayed at this hotel several times, and have given them positive reviews, but things have changed.

The first issue is one that has plagued the hotel for some time: there is no fitness center. Yes, you can visit the luxurious Virgin Active Classic, but it's costly. And this hotel's sibling does have a fitness center. Surely, one thinks, they could have come to an arrangement. The second issue is that of the restaurant. When we stayed here about a year ago, I observed the service and cuisine in the restaurant were of a particularly high standard. Service remains good, but the food quality is not what it used to be.

There was also the fascinating issue where we had to beg the bartender to serve us drinks at the bar, despite it being just before closing time. His excuse was that he had cashed up for the evening, as he thought nobody would be down there. Five star? I think not.

Melrose Arch remains a lovely destination if you are planning to stay local - the shopping and restaurants within walking distance are really good. However, the premium you part with for this hotel are no longer attractive when one considers the other options nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the pool can be nice, unless you have a pool party in the afternoon. The rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grant H

It is extremely saddening to hear that your experience at our Hotel has not been up to the standard that it used to be. My sincere apologies that we failed your expectations in these aspects.
The fact that you could not get beverage served is absolutely unacceptable and I am completely in agreement that this is not a Five Star level, Please be assured that this was addressed and most definitely resolved!
I have taken the fitness centre issue as a personal challenge and will do everything in my power to have a better solution prior to your next visit to our Hotel.
Please be kind enough to pop me a mail on gm@melrosearchhotel.com, to check the progress prior to your next stay. I would be absolutely delighted to be in a position to offer you a fantastic next visit with a much improved fitness offering and the delectable meals that became a trademark of our amazing establishment.

Tania

Reviewed 13 July 2014

this is just a beautiful 5 star hotel, with a modern twist and and old world charm and ambiance!
the rooms are delightful up till the playtfull yellow duck in the bathroom! the dinner and restaurant was brilliant! the cigar room and the stoep is vibrant and stylish at the same time. the swimming pool area is posh to say the least!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Dear Heila

Thank you for the amazing feedback on your stay at the Hotel. We appreciate your patronage and wish you many more visits to come!

Regards