This hotel is in a great location and is one of the safest parts of town.
The hotel has a nice funky vibe which was slightly eccentric a few years ago but is now getting a bit tired.
The welcome on arrival was excellent. Warm and efficient--perfect after 15 hours of flying ! The rooms are fun and spacious.
Internet access is expensive. It cost me around 30 pounds sterling a day adding an extra 120 pounds to my bill. In addition, internet access is clunky, slow and far from intuitive. his cost is excessive as my internet usage was not massive by any active business traveller standard.
While the atmosphere is aged funky, on occasions, it can feel that the staff are having a party and not particularly focused on guests, particularly if the restaurant is quiet. I was impressed that management took this seriously when I raised it with them.
There is no gym but there is a Virgin Active nearby. It is a bit naughty of the hotel not to tell guests that their voucher is being charged to their room.
The travel desk is fantastic and the staff there are professional, polite and happy to focus on their customers. They organised my trips around Johannesburg very efficiently and provided excellent recommendations for restaurants.
The rooms were well serviced and laundry service was prompt and clothes delivered in good condition.
I left with a strong impression that this hotel is a good place but that it has almost lost its five star sparkle. It may need a revamp of the infrastructure but, more urgent, is addressing the patchy quality of service and the poor and expensive internet access. Would I go back ? Yes as I am sure that management really want things to improve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn't ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where decor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg