All reviewsmelrose archlibrary barm msoystersmarch restaurantrubber duckiesvirgin gymsurround soundsurrounded by restaurantsgated communitytravel desksafe areaexecutive roombreakfast buffetshopping and restaurantsfantastic hotelhotel is located
Reviewed 12 December 2017

We loved this hotel! It is hip and a little funky but so modern and nice. The only complaint I had was no hot water for my shower!! Other than that, I would stay here anytime. The area around the hotel was fun to stroll through and loved all the Christmas lights!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Stayed for one night at African Pride Melrose Arch in Joburg, December 2017. Arrived to the hotel early 9am and then allowed me to check in early thankfully. A much appreciated gift after 20 hours of flying to get there. The staff was very kind and helpful. Additionally the room were clean and the facilities nice. I did not eat at the hotel but heard the breakfast was very good from others. The pool facility is nice and peaceful. There is not a gym at the hotel but you can get a pass from the hotel (paid) to visit the gym across the street. It's a very nice three high-end gym. Definitely recommend that.

Also, just outside the doors of the hotel is an open plaza where they had events going on, outdoor restaurants, shopping and many other things to do. This is a very nice area of town and seemed very safe for kids as well, as there were many around.

Room Tip: Our room (422) was quite large. Full bathtub and separate large shower. Two sinks, two beds, tv, etc...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Not the first time we visit them keep on going back. Always a wonderfull experiance. Tranguality seroundings and very piecefull. Staff very friendly and their service is excellent. Rooms very clean and well maintianed. Room service is very good and snappy. Restaurant food of a very high standard and very good service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, we stayed in a corner suite and is very sunny in the mornings.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

In a vivid location, next to restaurants and shops, this hotel is really interesting. All their rooms are attributed to a famous Hollywood star and there is a picture of that actress in front of the room. Interior might be the same in everyroom but it is aligned with the glamour of Hollywood. What surprised me was that the shower and sink was literally right inside the room, w/o any walls, only separated by a curtain!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Impressive hotel on arrival and friendly welcome by concierge and reception, however that is where the five-star treatment ends. The rooms are very odd and designed by someone who didn’t take practicality into account and they have been poorly built & maintained.

We changed room after realising the bedding was ripped and stained, remote control broken, etc. To be fair they moved us straight away, but we didn’t receive an apology for the inconvenience and got the feeling the hotel thought they were doing us a favour.

The rooms are really odd…. They have gone completely over the top with the lighting with every colour bulb being used in one room (it doesn’t look great), the cupboards are poorly fitted with doors not closing properly & beading broken, you can’t get any privacy as there are ‘designer’ gaps between bathroom and bedroom, toilet door is frosted glass, etc.

No gym in the hotel which I thought was a prerequisite for five-star rating.

The pool is extremely disappointing and to be honest just as odd as the rooms. There are only five sun-loungers around the pool which is completely inadequate for any hotel but especially for one of this size, but more concerning is the pool itself. Its split into two sections, one for swimming and the part for people to sit in metal chairs at tables with water to their ankles. On a design front I am sure it seemed a good idea but it’s the same pool for both sections which makes it extremely unhygienic, I saw a number of people sitting on the chairs smoking and flicking ash in the pool and one person even used the pool to put his cigarette out as he hadn’t got an ashtray, class!!! They also advertise the pool as residence only which is false, we saw lots of people arriving getting change in the pool toilet area and then joining friend’s poolside.

On a positive note it has a nice restaurant, bar area and lobby and is in a safe area with some good restaurants, bars and shops. However personally I wouldn’t stay again and would look for a hotel in Sandton area.

Its disappointing as the hotel is called ‘African Pride’ but doesn’t paint the best picture, its no way a five start by international standards.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear Jamesc1001
It is with great dismay that I received the feedback on your recent stay at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel. While incredibly disappointing, I must thank you for your candor in this regard and for graciously commenting on all the positive elements of your experience.
Most disappointing of all was to learn about the fact that you had to move rooms due to various shortcomings in the rooms and of course the state of the linen. I am disconcerted that this was not brought to my attention in order to investigate immediately and to offer my apology in person. We pride ourselves on offering our GUESTS a highly personalized experience at our property and are terribly sorry for our failure to deliver on this account.
Your comments regarding the pool have been addressed with the Food and Beverage Manager. It is shocking to note that GUESTS were flicking ash into the pool; this was unfortunately a result of inadequate training as GUESTS should be referred to smoking in the designated areas where ashtrays are presented. This too brings me to the fact that the pool should be controlled for in-house GUESTS only and I find the fact that outside GUESTS were allowed access to be completely unacceptable.
With regards to the décor within the rooms, pool and gym, I am happy to mention that we are in the final stages of planning a refurbishment for our Hotel where most of the comments mentioned in your post will be addressed.
Thank you once again for your forthrightness. I hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies for our service delivery failings. This really was a most unfortunate occurrence - and a rare one, I can assure you. I hope that you will return to the Hotel when our changes have been affected in order for our TEAM to have the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service for which the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become renowned.
Please be assured that I will certainly be addressing all of the service delivery failures with the relevant STAFF members and can assure you that the correct procedures will be put in place to prevent similar issues from re-occurring.
Warmest regards