“More motel style than hotel but really liked this place”

Courtyard Hotel Rosebank
Ranked #32 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Brighton, United Kingdom
“More motel style than hotel but really liked this place”
Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights at the start of a month long trip to SA. Rooms are huge - more 1 bed apartment than hotel room. Small kitchenette is useful for longer stays.
The pool is nice and everywhere is clean and well kept. Just cross the main road and you're in the Zone mall which is very convenient.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I stayed at Courtyard Rosebank hotel in June 2012 for about three weeks. During at the end of my stay, I suffered bit from invisible bed bugs for two nights. ( I wrote a review about this incident on trip advisor) so I complained about this to the General manager; Anton Rademeyer. However he didn’t believe me and he was not willing to laundry my cloths free of charge which were in contact with the bed. However my clothes were laundry, a letter was kept in my room apologizing for what append and my laundry will be free of charge and a one year old wine was given to me as a curtsy for the incident. The reason behind I requested the laundry was I might carry the bug with me on the cloths which were in contact and transfer that to home, etc.

When I checked out from the hotel after two days, my invoice did not show any charge of laundry. However when they refund my extra booking about rand 10,161 ( I booked for 30days online but stayed 21days), they deducted the laundry charge. Moreover the laundry was written in Africana language as “Indinzini La". I could not understand why Rand 516.16 was deducted from my refund, so I sent two e-mails to the management requesting the reason behind and correct the refund but there was no reply. So I sent an email to their group “City Lodge”. Finally the Courtyard Rosebank hotel General Manager, Anton Rademeyer replied to me telling me “ it is the charge of laundry”. I was very very furies for his stupid reply and disdain. He gave me a letter apologizing and he didn’t charge me when I checked out the hotel but after I flew thousands of miles, he tells me it is the laundry charge. I cant tell you how much I hate the hotel name “Courtyard”

Anyways after some e-mails he refunded the Rand 516.16.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Benyam S
Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Get on the airport train and get off practically at the doorstep, just what you need after a long fight.The facilities are good, bedside lamp didn't work and a few little things like that but overall very well designed. It is a hotel that punches above its weight re service, people are very helpful and friendly. There is a great happy hour each evening...with free alcoholic beverages (wow)...and a nice lounge to sit and sip a well mixed G&T. The Rosebank Shopping mall is just over the road and has a Sunday African rooftop market.

2 Thank 35GillyW
Hurst Green, Lancashire
Reviewed 24 September 2012

i stayed two nights at this hotel in Johannesburg. The rooms were very good, and the service from all the staff was excellent. Nothing was too much and they were so friendly. When i was at a lose end they were more than happy to recommend excusrions and were most helpful. The food (they only do breakfast but there are many restaurants right across the road) was very good too. Great hotel in a nice location

Room Tip: All the rooms have tea and coffee facilities and a nice little kitchette BUt really the choice and q...
1 Thank Chris G
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Hotel Rosebank, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Many thanks for your generous comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon at this hotel or another in the City Lodge Hotels grpoup.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Staying at The Courtyard was just wonderful. The team were welcoming, warm, friendly and efficient and I felt really safe in the hotel itself.
My room was fabulous. It didn't feel like I was in a hotel as such as there was a mini kitchen and dining table and the room had more character than the standard 'chain' hotels in Johannesburg which really made a difference for my four night stay. It was also immaculately clean.
As a female on business alone I was a little daunted about heading out for dinner in the evening but there are plenty of nice restaurants at the mall/outside the Hyatt (which is just opposite) and a woolworths to get food (like M&S Simply Food) if you fancy a night in. There is also plenty of security in the area (even until late) and the security guard at the hotel can also come and meet you to cross the road which is so lovely.
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and would definitely go back if I return to Johannesburg in the future.
Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Gabriella x

2 Thank Gabriella D
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Our stay was very positive. Helpful staff, comfortable accommodation and good breakfast to start the day. The bonus of a free evening snack and drink in the lounge. The position works well, just across the road from the Gautrain station, and the Rosebank shopping centre. No dinner at the hotel but plenty of eateries in the shopping complex. would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Motel style access, and if you had heavy luggage you would want to request a ground level room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Radix7
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Hotel Rosebank, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Many thanks for your comments about our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon at this hotel or at another hotel in the City Lodge Hotels group.
Vienna
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed there only one night in July 2012. But nice hotel in nice setting. Staff was friendly. And we had to take a smokers room (all non smokers have been occupied), but it was still OK since the room did not smell much.
Great parking possibilities.
The only critiques are a very slow check in process and an expensive breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business