“Vintage Charm”

Sunnyside Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our visit to this quaint heritage hotel was a bit disappointing. We did not stay at the hotel but wanted to enjoy a drink before our tour. My daughter ordered a passion fruit which she enjoyed after a long wait. My order was a simple hot choc to which the waiter took a while to come back and tell me that there was no hot choc in stock - on the menu! Replaced with a cuppacino, which was the tiniest cup at a tag but I don't mind paying if it's hot. We settled the bill and got our tour bus just in time! On returning my daughter asked if we could catch something to eat as we were now famished. Now I've eaten here a few times before and really enjoyed the food. Nothwithstanding the service earlier on, we went into the pub. Again people came in and received tehir drinks before us. A simple order of passion fruit and a strawberry daquiri. Now please do tell me if you cannot make this cocktail. After a long wait, it was finally delivered. To my disbelief there was tons of lemon rind in my cocktail - I just could not drink this! I sent it back and chose to not have any other drink. By this time we ordered our food. My daughter's beef burger was stunning (just a tad bit raw on the inside). The chips were unappetising... My steak was tough, raw (despite my well done order) and wedges (boiled potatoes not as we know it)were not cooked - the only good thing was the roasted veggies. I did not want to send my meal back for fear of being seen as a complainer so I ate around the cooked areas and left the rest. Good value for money if only it was edible!. Very disappointing indeed. Maybe next time......

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MirindaK
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear MirindaK

I’m extremely disappointed that your meal and the service you received were so below standard, and would like to make it up to you. My PA will contact you directly in this regard. We are addressing all your concerns and I hope to be able to prove to you that what you experienced is not the norm.

There are newer reviews for Sunnyside Park Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times on my visits to Jo'burg. The hotel has a very good location in a quiet neighborhood. The colonial look and feel is charming and I particularly liked relaxing at the lounge, though it could get noisy at times!

Staff are polite and helpful (although you may have to incessantly call them or walk over to the reception to get their attention). Internet can be erratic, breakfast is delicious and with extra-generous portions if you opt to have breakfast in bed ;)...overall it is a good hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Na0mi_Wa

Thank you for the great feedback. It is always nice to receive compliments from regular guests and we hope you continue to stay with us when you visit Joburg.

I have noted your comment about getting the attention of the staff and passed it on to my team. Hopefully you will notice an improvement next time you are here!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is a nice place, but was a little strange for us as seasoned travelers. The hotel is behind a guarded gate, which I understand is par-for-the-course in Johannesburg. The front desk staff often seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, but we were with a large group and may have overwhelmed them. The rooms in the new wing are nice and very modern, but those in the old part of the hotel are not as good. The older room had been partially renovated, but it smelled terribly of old, stale cigarette smoke. There was mold on the shower tiles, and the air conditioning didn't work. On a positive note, the restaurant was very good (and cheap), and the pub/bar has cheap drinks and good (albeit limited) food.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the new wing of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Adam-and-Dave

Thank you for this feedback and for the positive remarks with regard to our restaurant, pub food and drinks. If some of the front desk staff seemed a little overwhelmed it was probably due to the fact that we are in the process of training new staff members.

I apologise for the sub-standard condition of your room and assure you that all the items have been attended to.

I do hope that your next stay with us is much improved and that if there are any problems you will point them out to us while you are on the property so that we can attend to them immediately.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

It may be just my room, but the drainage basin is not good, a dirty impression.
The hotel itself seems well-established, it was a fine building.
Trees on site is beautiful, you can wake up in the voice of birds in the morning.
Staff is also polite.
Breakfast was delicious, too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Yukiko

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I apologise for the inconvenience and assure you that our maintenance team has been alerted to sort it out. If you had notified us of the problem during your stay, we could have moved you to another room. Your complimentary feedback about our garden, our staff and your breakfast is appreciated and has been passed on to the Sunnyside Park team.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

What a pleasant surprise - I booked into the hotel due to it's proximity to our new office building, not expecting much but left after 3 days with a different view on the area and the hotel. It is located in a beautiful old Jhb colonial home and has a strong colonial theme in a hotel frequented by mainly new generation South African's. Interesting contrasts and wonderful to see.
The rooms are comfortable and clean, the staff are friendly and efficient and the meals in both the main dining room and on-site Irish Pub we very good.
A pleasant 3 day stay all round!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JohanMoolman
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Johan

Many thanks for taking time out to post this great feedback. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Sunnyside Park team. It is great to know that we are getting it right. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Very friendly staff, efficient, and very helpful.
Location of hotel is great too.
Rooms immaculate and clean, however houskeeping was a little early on some days, but all in all a comfortable stay.
Breakfast fit for kings, with a selection of various things to have, you definitely werent short of choices.
Great pool, and gym facilites too.
Very happy traveller!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank SKZimbo
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and response. We always strive to improve our culture and strive for excellence.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunnyside Park Hotel in the future.

Yours in hospitality.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was a pleasant stay we went to the Bruce Springsteen shoe in JHB and stayed over the staff is friendly rooms are clean and breakfast amazing
Thanks to jimmy the taxi owner of the hotel that made our stay even better .

Room Tip: Do have the breakfast
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz R
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Liz

Thank you for your valued feedback and response. We are always striving to improve our service offering and culture.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunnyside Park Hotel.

Yours in Hospitality,

Chris Schutte

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
#15 of 66 in Johannesburg
Hotel QSL on 44
Hotel QSL on 44
#31 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to Sunnyside Park Hotel? Share your experiences!