“Relief after a long drive.”

Sunnyside Park Hotel
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I thought Sunnyside Park Hotel was absolutely delightful. Such a welcome haven after a long drive. The staff were very helpful,and the accommodation excellent. We would recommend the hotel to all our friends and hope to return there one day. The only suggestion is that an accurate and detailed map of how to drive ourselves to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rogerdunsmore
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Rogerdunsmore

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Sunnyside Park Hotel in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This really is an old time hotel beautifully restored and maintained to a four star grading. In a similar class of the likes of the Mount Nelson in Cape Town or the Lord Charles in Somerset West. Food and drinks are of a high standard and the staff very friendly and courteous. I will go back here any time!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front overlook the hotel's tranquil gardens!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Johan H

Dear Johan H

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Sunnyside is close to CBD and recommendation for everyone working in CBD Johannesburg. The hotel is clean and in a safe area with a little park surrounding the buildings.
They do have a restaurant and a bar/pub area with nice and decent food.
Staff is well trained and with and old-school approach that i like very much. For sure a difference in comparison to the big hotel chains.
They will know your name most likely as of day 2 or 3 :-)

Room Tip: Go for the Garden villas....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Thorsten_Prague
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Mr Thorsten

Yours in Hospitality.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed one night on our way from Zimbabwe and back to Europe. The hotel has a classic atmosphere, in the lobby, the rooms, etc. Room was nice and clean. Bar was cozy with very friendly staff.
Restaurant was OK, but rather expensive. Staff were a bit slow and not coordinated (came and asked the same questions from different sides). At 9 pm they began to remove plates and glasses from the empty tables, in order to arrange for next day breakfast, although several parties were still eating. We got a feeling, that they would like us to finish, so they could get off!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lars A
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Mr Lars

We are disappointed to hear that the dinner service did not meet your expectations and I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We only stayed here one night as we were attending a wedding nearby but we found it to be a great hotel. The gardens and surrounds are lovely, the staff all very helpful and efficient and the rooms are comfortable and quiet. We stayed in the new wing and didn't have any complaints about the room at all. The food in the hotel was delicious - we had a lunch and a breakfast and both were superb. The price of the hotel was very reasonable and I would definitely stay there again if we needed to be in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Buzzah

Many thanks for this great feedback and for taking the time to post this review. I have passed on your comments to my team who are always grateful that their hard work and service is acknowledged. We look forward to seeing you back at the Sunnyside Park Hotel in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have been at this hotel for almost a week and love it. The service has been outstanding since the moment I made my reservation. After check in, the front desk graciously changed my room from the new wing to the main building - a very nice suite with a balcony. I booked the new wing based on reviews here, but the historic part really suits my taste. Hot water galore, great firm bed, soft pillows, fridge, fresh fruit plate, great breakfast buffet...excellent service all around. If you want pristine and new, book the new wing. If you want historic and comfy, book the main. WiFi can be spotty, so be prepared to interact with people instead of devices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Ann S,

Yours in hospitality

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was once again very happy with the Sunnyside Park. My room in the new wing was outstanding. Well appointed and comfortably furnished. The well equipped gym is, for me, a big plus. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in the new wing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Chris S, General Manager at Sunnyside Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Nevvy

Thank you for the wonderful feedback about your stay and accommodation. I am delighted you enjoyed using our gym. Our regular guests are very important to us and we appreciate your support. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunnyside Park Hotel.

Yours in hospitality
Chris Schutte

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite
#26 of 66 in Johannesburg
The Winston Hotel
The Winston Hotel
#9 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to Sunnyside Park Hotel? Share your experiences!