“Truly Excellent!”
Review of 54 on Bath

54 on Bath
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a boutique hotel formerly known as The Grace. It is is not very large but very well appointed. Stayed there for four nights and had an in-house conference for two of those days.

Check in is smooth and quick. The only problem I had was the insistence with taking authorization on my card for my stay as well as R500 per night for incidentals. If this did not happen then the hotel would have insisted on cash for any service provided that was not bed and breakfast. I acceded but very reluctantly.

After checking in and before I unpacked I tested the wifi in the room I had been assigned and once it was found not to be working, David from Front desk found me another room and ensured I was sorted before we moved my things. It took a couple of hours, but was eventually sorted.

Being a boutique hotel, 54 on Bath can offer special services that other larger hotels might not be able to. Free ironing or steaming of 3 items of laundry every day; in room breakfast conveniently delivered at a time picked by the guest at no additional cost; a gym bag with a water bottle, water, towel, MP3 player for gym sessions (this more than made up for the location of the gym).

I ate at the 4th floor restaurant twice and ate meals provided during the conference, all which were very well prepared and delicious. Room cleanliness was excellent. The one stop service was fast and very efficient; requests were responded to very quickly. Conference facilities were very good and more than met our needs.

Special mention goes to Lebo in housekeeping who took very good care of my clothes and David at Front office sorted me out on wifi and quickly changed my room. I would definitely return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear MsafiriK,

Thank you for spending your valuable time to extensively review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are extremely pleased you enjoyed your visit and that you picked up on the small details you can expect to find at 54 on Bath. We appreciate you naming the staff that made the difference during your stay and we have passed on our thanks to them. Hope to see you return very soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Wonderful hotel, with extremely good service, and a lot of attention to detail. Indeed, as mentioned earlier, they get close to perfection, so even perfectionists can relax here!! Decoration in the room is wonderful (even fresh flowers!), giving you the feeling that you're staying at someones house instead of a hotel (which I often find have impersonal decoration). Coffee and tea available in the room is of high quality. Breakfast is amazingly good as well. A real treat for a business traveller, ensuring you can truly relax during the hours that you do not have to work!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Diana W,

Thank you for posting such a positive review on Trip Advisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It has always been our intent to make the hotel feel like a home from home for our guests and it is great to hear such affirmation from time to time - it helps keep us on the right path! Please do consider yourself at home when you next visit 54 on Bath, Johannesburg.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is simply one of the best business hotels in Johannesburg. It is located in an amazing building with high class quality and service to match. The food is brilliant and extreme care is taken to satisfy every guest.

A must for those who expect nothing less than perfection.

Room Tip: The suites are fantastic. Quiet and a perfect setting for private business meetings.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear MKISC,

Thanks for posting your review on Trip Advisor and for your recommendations. It is satisfying to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we do look forward to having you return in the near future. Your tips on the Executive room is spot on- not only do you have a separate dining and lounge space but there is also a guest WC allowing business executives to hold formal meetings without any intrusion to personal accommodation space - a real bonus for discrete or top-level meetings or even as a last minute meeting venue.
Thanks once again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I recently had dinner at 54 with a couple of friends and was thoroughly impressed. I love the fact that they give you the choice of parking your own car or using their complimentary valet service. The door man was friendly and explained everything to me and he personally escorted me to the elevator. The hotel and restaurant, have this old world charm and elegance and the atmosphere was very warm and cozy. We started our evening with champagne outside in the garden, before moving inside for dinner. The staff is super efficient, professional and very friendly. I found it very interesting that they wrote down the name of the chef who had created each dish on the menu and the waiter explained that they change the menu twice a year and jokingly invited us to submit a dish, so we could be added to the "wall of fame". I had the pork belly, which was absolutely delicious. Everyone in the group had only good things to say about what they had. For dessert, I opted for the Death by Chocolate dessert-with-a-very-long-complicated name and yes it was sinful!! 5 min before we left, the waiter called for my car and it was so good to find it ready and waiting at the front door by the time I got to there. I love this restaurant and am dying to come back and try out the champagne bar!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thandz D

Dear Thandz D,

Thanks for visiting us at 54 on Bath and for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor, we appreciate it. Great to hear you all enjoyed your time with us and for sharing your extensive in-sight to Level Four. We trust to see you on the Champagne Bar very soon and don't forget to remind your friends to use our complimentary valet service - it makes your arrival experience so much easier!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Unfortunately only spent one night at this hotel as a treat for my Mum's birthday. We stayed in room 914 which was a corner room on the 9th floor...it was huge! I had mentioned on booking that it was my Mum's birthday and asked if they could please set up a small surprise in the room for her. They went out of their way...there was a chocolate stand set up in the room with all sorts of sweet treats (and chocolate covered strawberries!), a little chocolate cake with a happy birthday message on it as well as a hand written note from the manager wishing my Mum a happy birthday!
The room is very tastefully decorated with a "clean" look. Lots of little extra touches...a complimentary Illy coffee machine in the room, Lindt chocolates, a reading light at the bed, a heated towel railing, complimentary nuts, jelly beans & dried fruit and an amazing shower with a long half frosted window which allows you to look out at the beautiful views.
The beds are high and super comfortable and they even put out a pillow menu should you require a different type of pillow.
We had high tea at the hotel which was extremely good value for money as the treats are refilled the minute you finish them! Scones that melt in your mouth.
Supper at Level Four was good. Lobster bisque was rich and delicious. Although my husband who joined us for dinner did not enjoy his lamb...my duck was divine though. At the end of dinner they once again brought my Mum a dessert with a Happy Birthday message on it! And complimentary chocolate truffles were served.

The only downfall was that the drain in the shower was blocked which resulted in the water standing in the shower which I only discovered late at night. I however did report it to them the following morning. The water also takes a very long time to get hot but thats not a huge problem.

The next morning the Sunday newspaper was left outside our door...another nice touch.
Breakfast was a small selection but very tasty. My Mum loved her English breakfast and my Eggs Benedict was yummy! I must say they have an excellent pastry chef. All the pastries and quiches are flaky, buttery, fresh and delicious.

Overall a wonderful 1 night stay.

Would not hesitate to go back!

Room Tip: Corner room on one of the higher floors! We were in 914
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Vineshree M,

Thanks for your comprehensive review on Trip Advisor and for taking such time to share it with us! We are very privileged to be the hotel where Johannesburg comes to celebrate and it brings us great delight to hear that you and your Mum enjoyed your stay. In fact you may want to put a small word in hubby's ear to bring you to stay over on Valentine's Day and enjoy a special celebration of your own. Hope to see you again in the very near future!.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Hotel rooms is good, service is excellent. The little extras that they add makes it pleasent. Bathrooms urgently need an upgrade. Restaurant service excellent as well but did not enjoy the food. Will not stay here because of the bathrooms. Room 714 certainly did not meet my expectations

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
1  Thank Montana K
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Montana K,

Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor it is appreciated. I'm glad to see on the whole you enjoyed your stay. We were aware of your concerns about your bathroom from our internal online survey and like your review, we have no further insight as to what the issue was with the bathroom. If you have a moment please do let us know.

Many thanks

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is an excellent hotel and has a great staff. The rooms are spacious and really big, nice rooms. It attached to a large mall which we didn't go in. We did walk around the corner to another shopping center which had a nice variety of restaurants. This hotel is close to the Cube restaurant which we highly recommend to go to. Excellent food and a 10 course tasting menu.
The hotels breakfasts were excellent also. Very tasty food and nice dining room to ear breakfast in.The hotel is in a very nice, upscale suburban location. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a high up room so you can get a view of the city way off in the distance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear tellall1,

Thanks for sharing your review of our hotel and neighborhood on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found Rosebank to be convenient - it is a great area as an introduction for first time visitors to Johannesburg. We do hope you'll visit us again the next time you're back in South Africa!