“Wow”
Review of 54 on Bath

54 on Bath
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 16 May 2014

As soon as you walk into the lobby, you enter a place of exceptional elegance. From the doorman to the front desk staff, from the waiters in the restaurant to the chefs in the kitchen, from the lobby bar men to the management, this hotel sets the tone for what to expect from a 5 star luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Any room. But corner rooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronnie H
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Ronnie H,

Thanks for sharing your experience with all the travellers on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your time in doing so. We are very fortunate to work in such an elegant hotel (more really like an elegant home) and the team love their jobs and take great pride in looking after our guests. It is however our guest feedback that really makes us proud and we are extremely pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Hope to see you next time you are in South Africa!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We spent 3 weeks in Africa in April and stayed in six different high-end properties. I would have rated this hotel at the top of the list if my iPhone had not been taken from my room while I was out with my Smithsonian tour group for the day. I didn't forget to use the safe. I unintentionally left the phone on the bed and I worried about several times during the day. I just didn't believe that it wouldn't be there when I returned so I put it out of my mind. Sadly, when I returned, it was gone. I realize this was my mistake, but I should have been able to leave a personal item in my room and not have it go missing. I think the most disappointing part of the experience was the response from the hotel. Of course, I knew they wouldn't be able to produce my phone or just hand over money for a new one, but nothing, absolutely nothing. I would have thought they might have given me a small credit toward the cost of the extra night we stayed in addition to the tour nights. Unfortunately not. This was a lovely property and I was enjoying everything about it, especially the sincere and friendly staff, until a dishonest associate wiped that out in an instant. I'm sure this kind of situation is a customer service nightmare for hotels, very difficult to address, but I think the hotel could have found some way to acknowledge a very serious problem for an international traveler. Perhaps sharing this review with the hotel staff can show them how easy it is to go from outstanding to terrible very quickly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
54onBathJNB, General Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Brian H,

Naturally we share your disappointment concerning your recent visit but please rest assured that we take such matters very seriously and the alleged removal of a phone from your room was fully investigated by hotel management.

In collaboration with and taking advice from our outsourced security management service provider, we shared a brief of the findings with your travel agent. I am extremely sorry that you feel we have not communicated with you however in this circumstance we were under the impression you had received this feedback. Please do get in touch with me personally should you require further assistance.

Jacques Moolman

Reviewed 14 May 2014

An outstanding luxury hotel at reasonable prices. I can see using this hotel for business or pleasure,
The service from the maids to room service was outstanding. We used it to decompress after a great safari experience before flying out of Johannesburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Quesig,

Thanks for your review. We have many visitors to our hotel, mostly international and mostly in the corporate world however Rosebank is an extremely popular neighborhood for art, shopping and the famous traditional African Craft Market so we are a natural attraction for leisure visitors wishing to get a feel of what Johannesburg is all about. I do hope you relaxed sufficiently before the long haul back home and please do visit again next time you cross our shores.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Excellent property and great staff. Only there one night but enjoyed our stay. Food for dinner and breakfast was 5 star and reasonably priced. You won't be disappointed. Every employee was professional and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Gary S,

It was a great pleasure reading your very kind review of 54 on Bath. Thank you for going to so much trouble.The team are absolutely delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay and hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

54 on Bath was excellent. It is very well positioned in Johannesburg and it's access to the adjacent mall is a real bonus. The room was beautiful and the dining room and food were outstanding. We loved it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill M

Dear Bill M,

Thank you so much for the very kind review of your stay at 54 on Bath. It is so rewarding to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We really do enjoy our jobs and I am very happy to see that this manifested itself in your experience. I hope that we will welcome you home very soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

What a great experience. As a regular business traveller, I so enjoy coming "home" to 54 on Bath. Every business need is taken care of in a 5 star way, and the staff are always friendly and accommodating, no matter what the challenge!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Selwyn L,

We are absolutely delighted to see how impressed you were with the standard of service at 54 on Bath. Thank you so much for your very kind review. The team receive tremendous encouragement from wonderful feedback like yours. Hopefully, it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back home.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed at 54 on Bath over Easter weekend. The hotel is situated in the trendy and busy area of Rosebank with lots of restaurants and shopping areas around. Yet once you're in the hotel's front door you are transported to a hush boutique hotel with wonderful interiors. All the staff were friendly and helpful with all our queries and were there when you needed them.

We had a corner room on the 6th floor with views across the pool area as well as the whole of Johannesburg. The rooms are actually much bigger than expected and we loved the interiors of the room and hotel. The thoughtful touches like the macaroons and drink as a nightcap was wonderful. Loved the macaroons. We also received an anniversary high tea plate when we returned from lunch the first afternoon. Loved the touches like this.

We only ate lunch at the hotel's restaurant, and did find it a bit overpriced, as there are many other restaurants in the area that will provide better value for money. Yet we thoroughly enjoyed the lunch and wine next to the pool area. The Verve Clicquot Champagne bar is small but also a highlight of the hotel. Enjoyed bubbly here prior to our dinner out.

All in all this truly is a wonderful hotel with beautifully appointed areas and staff that is willing to help with anything. We loved our stay at this hotel and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Try for a corner room as they seem to be bigger
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mitxcoac

Dear mitxcoac

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this wonderful review of your stay at 54 on Bath. We are all so happy to see how much you enjoyed this visit and we do hope it is not too long before we can welcome you back home to 54 on Bath, Rosebank.