“A great stay!”
Review of 54 on Bath

54 on Bath
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My first impression was: what a pleasant ambiance! There was a mix up with our booking and we ended up at a wrong hotel but after my wife saw the welcoming reception lounge, she did not want to move. The reception staff were great and found us a room which included a free upgrade! Great service! The hotel and rooms are in a new classical style. The postion is excellent: close to the shopping mall and the Gautrain Rosebank Station. The inhouse restaurant is very popular and the food is very good. The breakfast was well presented with a good selection and the service excellent. We shall certainly return.

Stayed: August 2014
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Johann S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate it. What a stroke of luck that you found yourself at 54 on Bath unexpectedly. Please do consider 54 on Bath your home whenever you are in Johannesburg. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our company has run several training sessions at the conference facilities of this hotel. Mandla should be commended on his quiet, attentive and efficient service. But we had one incident which in my mind is completely unacceptable from a so called 5-star establishment and that completely negates everything good that was done.

When I left the hotel on the last day I forgot my Apple recharging cable in the conference room. I called on the Saturday and was told that no one was there from banqueting and conferencing but it would surely be safe and that they would get back to me. No one did. This cable is not cheap as I am assure everyone is aware. Also since it is a phone recharging cable it is something that one needs, and therefore there is some urgency to find it.

I phoned and my admin assistant phoned - countless times. We were told that it was hotel policy not to send things to people. When we insisted we were then told that we would need to pay for the postage. I was flabbergasted. I have worked in the hospitality business and I the companies I have worked for would immediately send the lost item - without being asked, and certainly without asking payment. Because that is what 5-star service is!

Initially I was told that the GM would not allow the lost item to be sent, and finally after much insistence, I was told that it would be sent, and at no charge. I have never received my cable. I understand it was sent, but it was sent via regular postage with no insurance and no tracking. And with our postabl system it is not surprsing that it must have gone astray.

There is just so much wrong with this incident. Firstly it is a small thing which, if handled properly, would have done so much positive good. Instead, the experience has completely negated and soured what might otherwise been a good one. Secondly, if the hotel cared, then they would have taken more care to post the item in a way that would ensure it gets to me. We all know the postal system is unreliable.

5 star service would have been - the cable is found in the conference room, someone makes it their job to find out who left it behind, the GM makes sure that it is sent the next day to the owner. Now that would have been worthy of the 5 stars. And indeed there are some 4 star hotels that would do the same. I know because I work with some of them.

You lost an opportunity to show off your service and all I can say is shame on you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KarenOParkin
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear KarenOParkin,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We are disappointed that it did not reach above a one star rating due to a lost and found item, it is unfortunate and certainly not like most of our reviews.

We appreciate you naming Mandla as an employee that made a difference during your visit and we shall certainly pass on your commendations.

We would love to reunite all lost property with its owners but we handle between 150-200 lost or missing items on a monthly basis ranging from very expensive jewellery to suitcases. The significant cost to courier and insure lost items from South Africa, most often to the opposite hemispheres where most of our guests reside, makes it a service that is difficult to sustain.

I trust you understand our reasoning and that this not deter you from visiting our hotel in future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Such an amazing and beautiful hotel! The service is excellent and everything we experienced exceeded all my expectations. The food was outstanding and the rooms were just beautiful

I will definitely return as well as recommend this to anybody i know

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear Bianca M,

Thank you so much for sharing your review with fellow travellers around the globe. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at 54 on Bath. We hope that you will be able to return again very soon.

Thanks again

Reviewed 30 July 2014

From our greeting upon arrival to our departure farewell, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at 54 on Bath. The staff are attentive and engaging, and the amenities are top notch and very clean. We enjoyed the cozy bar area and had a fabulous dinner which was both delicious and beautifully presented. If you are traveling to Johannesburg and don't mind a bit of a drive from the airport, the hotel is next to a nice shopping mall. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear NC207

Thanks for your review and recommendation. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay whilst visiting 54 on Bath. We do hope it will not be long before you can return.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel was my oasis of tranquility and relaxation during a full and busy week of business in Jburg area. I had travelled to South Africa from the other side of the globe and arrived in Jburg in the morning. I had already at noon my first business meeting. Before that, exhausted and worn, I headed to the hotel, although I was supposed to get my room only in the afternoon. They prepared me a room in few minutes so I could take a shower and change clothes. What a relief. And good service!
Car park under the hotel. Great benefit if you need it. The room was nothing but excellent. Top quality bed, very nice interior, quiet, big TV, bathroom had great view through a window that was by the shower. Clean as well. I ate at the restaurant and ordered room service meal as well another night. All very good!
Staff was always smiley and friendly.
There was even a complimentary shoe polish and pressing of three items like shirts per day. Used that service and it was really the cherry on the cake.
There was however one service that did not work - internet connection.
I only got online a couple of times during this 5 days stay and even then the speed was very low. I've experienced elsewhere in South Africa lousy internet connections every time I've been there, thus maybe this is more a question of the whole infrastructure of the country.
Still even this won't drop my score from five star rating.
That satisfied was I.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jaatinen,

Thank you for sharing your review of 54 on bath on Trip Advisor, it means a lot to us. I am delighted that we could get you into your room earlier than expected, we strive to accommodate such requests although it can never be guaranteed. Sorry you experienced internet issues, when we got your review we had our service providers inspect their equipment and found two of the radios were broken, this is likely to have been part of the issue you experienced. We look forward to your next visit.

A warm regards from the bottom of the world to the top.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Lovely and intimate hotel, friendly staff, divine macaroons dropped off in your room at afternoon tea time. A walk away from the rosebank mall, so good for shopping as well. Their champagne bar and garden setting is such a surprise in the middle of the bustle of rosebank. level 4 restaurant will satisfy the most severe food critics, very yummy and very cosy, with a fireplace blazing and a good wine collection.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle S,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we really appreciate it. We are especially happy that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your time in Rosebank. We are on your doorstep so look forward to many future visits.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

What was once the Grace Hotel is now a beautiful boutique hotel, in a nice part of town, connected to the upgraded (work won't be finished until fall 2014) Rosebank Mall by a marble passageway. You are greeted by name from the moment you arrive, and check in while sitting in the comfortable lounge while enjoying the seemingly endless parade of free food and drink the hotel provides. Rooms are large and tastefully appointed. Separate bath and shower. Internet is free -- other hotels, take note! -- and reasonably fast, though the log-in system is erratic. The hotel restaurant is excellent. All breakfasts come with a "fruit plate"; ours usually consisted of half a passion fruit; sliced cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple; yogurt and a fruit compote. There's also a table with cold items: bread, more fruit, breakfast meats. We over-ate daily.

The hotel doesn't have a gym, but it does provide free access to an absolutely massive facility in the attached mall. The front desk will give you a gym bag with towel, water and water bottle, and an iPod Shuffle (!) together with your entry pass.

We used hotel cars and drivers for a number of day trips. They were all amazingly accommodating, and the tour of Soweto and (much rougher) Alexandra was a highlight of our time in Joburg.

A truly first-rate hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DRudd88

Dear DRudd88,

Thanks so much for posting your review, we appreciate it enormously. We are delighted you enjoyed our service and facilities and do look forward to you returning very soon.

Thanks again.