“A master chef restaurant experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Licorish Bistro

Licorish Bistro
Ranked #5 of 1,187 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: European, International, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We merge the classic and the contemporary to create fusion between food and culture for a new South African palate. We're at the Nicolway Shopping Centre, Bryanston
Johannesburg
“A master chef restaurant experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

This was really surprising. I was impressed by the service and the food. It is a nice restaurant, more stylish than I'm used to. The specials were a fish and a fillet tasting platter, that came with wine to compliment it. It was a fun interesting dinner. Just having an option like this educated us on how to match a wine with a specific meal. It's seems like small portions, because its like you see on tv. Elegantly displayed. But it fills you up. I enjoyed my meal and recommend you at least try it just to experience fine dining!!

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
“An evening with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

the food was excellent .Unfortunately we chose a busy night, and could hardly have a conversation it was so noisy.The tables were very close together.

Visited September 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Still loving Licorish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Attentive staff, great, interesting food,and lot's of love flowing from the chef's hands. I wish this restaurant was not in a shopping centre but understand the value of pass-by traffic. They always make you feel welcome and will still quickly replace a fork if it has fallen to the floor. Not many restaurants take notice of those things any more.

Stellenbosch
“Superb flavours and quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My first visit and I shall recommend it to friends and associates.
Lamb - excellent chops, pink inside great flavour and super crust. Waiter Wiseman very knowledgeable and efficient, perhaps talks a bit quickly on the intro, by the time he goes through the whole menu I had forgotten 2/3rds of what he had to say!
Thank you Jacque, good to meet you and great to have owner/chef visible, I'll be back. Thanks

• Visited October 2013
“Excellent Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our family had lunch to celebrate my wife's birthday at Licorish. The only reason I am not giving this restaurant 5 stars is because I do not like shopping centres and I think that a restaurant of this calibre should be housed in a special building. Nevertheless the food is excellent and the service equally excellent.

The waiters are well trained and professional. There is a wine rep who informs you of the bests wines to select. He was very helpful in assisting us with an excellent local sparkling wine. I had a game tasting plate with 3 dishes and 3 red wines to taste. It was superb.

My wife and daughter had two starters served on a plate so it was similar to my tasting plate. The food was excellently prepared and tasty. My daughter is a bit of a difficult one to please with food but she loved her salmon and fish cakes,

The prices are not cheap but them again the food is excellent. Anyway after returning recently from Croatia our SA restaurant prices are absolute bargains. I recommend this restaurant to everybody. Its a pity about the setting.