“Consistent, better? Who knows ;)”
Review of The Schwarma Co

The Schwarma Co
Ranked #36 of 1,302 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Schwarma & Grill, Mediterranean an Middle Eastern Cuisine
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Out and about in the city again with the decision to visit one of the best Schwarma places in the country. The only thing that has changed is that they have now expanded to having an upstairs section. The food is very good as well as the service.

I would suggest booking or coming early as they do get very busy and you will have to then wait in line.

Try some ribs or just have a schwarma. All salads are as always fresh. Vegetarians will not be disappointed with the haloumi laffa which is fantastic! Very good value for money.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was invited by a friend to this restaurant in Norwood - an area not too far from the centre of Jo'burg that I've not been to before. He always comes here when he misses Israel because it's so typically Middle Eastern and the food is fabulous.

Owned by an Arab Israeli, the restaurant recently expanded upstairs with sliding glass doors giving full access to an open balcony and patio seating overlooking Grant Avenue - the main street which is lined by a number of other eating joints. The only thing missing in what could be an equivalent of Upper Street in Islington or Kingsland High Street in Hackney is the lack of people walking on the streets; but then again this is Jo'burg and at least it's an alternative to the northern suburban mall culture with which I am more familiar. The downstairs is a little less formal and more café-like with ethnic music whereas upstairs they played disco or dance music which made it feel a bit more frenetic so we prefer downstairs.

The reason for it's buzzy atmosphere and popularity though is the food; absolutely sumptuous extras to go with the excellently grilled meats. We had lamb schwarmas which is probably the must-have signature dish. Served in an Israeli pitta - less elastic and smoother than the Greek and Turkish pitta - we are invited to add extra toppings piled in invitingly heaped glass dishes behind a counter; creamy humus and tahini, spiced tomato-based Turkish sauce, unctuous eggplant in three varieties, glistening slivers of peppers in red, green and yellow, softened onions, crunchy red cabbage, crisp green shredded iceberg lettuce, a special white schwarma sauce and the for me the obligatory hot red chilli sauce - although a milder green version was available too. We go back to our seats and the waitress brings the full-to-bursting stuffed pitta to our table. My friend scoffed his in no time at all whereas I savoured every mouthful and took a takeaway bag home. Deserts are minimal in number - a red velvet cupcake, chocolate halva or baklava - but no less delicious for all that. To drink, my friend had a refreshing home-made lemonade served with ice and a fragrant mint leaf and I had a fairly ordinary glass of Sauvignon Blanc. We ended with coffee - a cappuccino for him and a Kahlua-coffee for me; well he was driving. I paid R140 for all of that which is pretty reasonable especially as I can take the left-over for lunch to work tomorrow.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I must say when I went to the establishment for a meal as far as the food goes the quality is superb. The staff however were a bit surly and it seemed at times unable to deal with a lot of customers.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I really enjoyed this restaurant, went with a group of 6 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals but the highlight has to be the mezze platter we had to start. The falafal's in the mezze were some of the best I've ever tasted and being able to choose your own (large amount) of salads ensures you get the right mezze for your tastebuds (the eggplant is amazing). They are very generous with the hummus and tachina but unfortunately not so generous with the pita and we had to order 4 extra pieces. It's not too much of a problem because the pita is cheap but they may want to rethink their pita allowance. We had an assortment of lafas, pita's and platters for the main courses and no-one had any complaints especially considering how cheap the meal ended up being.
Our only gripe is the lemonade, it's fresh and delicious but if you order by the jug it ends up being so much more expensive then ordering by the glass since each jug only fills 3 glasses. I think they should think about repricing the jugs so that its the same price or cheaper then 3 glasses-luckily it was so tasty we weren't too bothered about that either.

Service is friendly and professional, food is amazing, good bar scene and I can see why it is so popular and filled with so many people.

1  Thank RobZ6
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Schwarma Co is one of the best restaurants in Orchards. The kebabs are massive and full of flavour and certainly not your average meat filling. Normally I'm not a huge kebab fan as the meat often seems like something swept off the butcher floor and processed but this is not the case here. They are full of flavour and very fresh and the meat is mouthwatering. Servings are very impressive and the menu is vast - you don't have to have a kebab. The sharing platter and ribs also look great. The hummus on my kebab was delicious and full flavoured.

The service is quite good although waitresses friendliness seems to vary a bit. Some are particularly friendly, others seem to be a bit overly efficient no [--] kind of attitude which makes you feel a bit rushed / flustered at times. One strange thing is that you go up to the cabinet to select your salads after you have ordered your kebab. This was not communicated well to us and we had no idea what we were supposed to be doing and how they know which particular item is yours when you choose your salad but they seem to magically get it right every time.

It is always busy and buzzing - I believe they are opening upstairs soon as well and I can see why because they could easily double their capacity to keep up with demand for their delicious fare.

The drinks menu is quite good.

A note for the non-locals: We walked home after dinner a few blocks away and felt quite safe doing so but there are plenty of places to park if you prefer to drive.