“Great Italian”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Came in late night on Sunday .Salad was rich and big enough for two. Pizza was thin, crisp and very tasty. Attentive staff .

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Trabella is a restaurant I usually enjoy going to because of their delicious pizzas. Infact I have not found anywhere else in Johannesburg with these kind of pizzas. However, a restaurant should never get above itself! I booked a table on Tuesday for Saturday evening for 7 pm. We got there on time and were offered a table in the middle section right in the middle on its own. It was a horrible position and I wondered why I had been given the worst table when actually I made the booking on the Tuesday! I looked around the top section was obviously booked out for a party. There were no more tables in the middle section but the end section had lots of available tables. There was a small table against the wall which I liked the look of so asked if we could sit there. Apparently not all the tables were booked and people requested them. The manager/owner not sure what was clearly stressed . He was sitting down near the till and I saw him tell the waiter who looked embarrassed no. The waiter said I should talk to him if I wasn't happy. I went across to talk to him and he was so rude. He didn't bother getting up. He didn't even try to accommodate us. How does this work? you book a table but because you don't request an exact location you get what is left over no matter when you booked it. This shows a heavy reliance on the restaurants regulars, a big mistake ! As a restaurant , yes your regulars are important but so are the new people walking in. I will never go back there! We walked out as this man was so rude . He didn't care, he was shocking as front of house and didn't even try to accommodate us which he could easily have done with a smile and some shuffling around. He made us feel so unwelcome I would not have wanted to sit there. Just horrible and very up himself! A great pity, but out of principle I will never go back there.

4  Thank Angeweener
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Oh my goodness, the parking is a nightmare and the waitrons can go for a bit of training in smiling but I can forgive them all of that because their pizza is THE BOMB! Pumpkin, Feta, Chilli and Basil, for instance. Beautiful.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Trabella is on the corner of Corlett & Oxford drives in Illovo. It is a little strange to be sitting outdoors watching all the traffic go by, but as the sun sets, it is really lovely.

Trabella's menu is an absolute feast for vegetarians, with lots of options like the Trabella special (butternut, honeyed beetroot & feta) pizza - delish. I am by no means a vegetarian myself, but this was an amazing pizza. They feature thin, homemade bases and just the right amount of toppings. I would definitely recommend the pizza, however, the salads are also amazing. I had the smoked salmon salad and when it came, it was large enough for a main meal - I took the pizza home.

If you like proper, good, tasty pizza, you have got to give Trabella a try. A warning though, they are extremely busy and full and booking is pretty much essential!