“There can only be one!”

Dining options: Reservations
Knysna, South Africa
“There can only be one!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

By pure chance we happened to park right outside Fong Mei, looking to find good chinese in Cyrildene. We asked a few locals and everyone pointed to Fong Mei, seeing the chef standing outside greeting his patrons, we decided it was the place to go.

We were NOT disappointed.
The best sweet and sour pork I've ever tasted.
Awesome fried rice!
I can't wait to go back and try the crispy beef!

The only complaint I have is that, no other Chinese restaurant will ever be as good!!!

• Visited September 2013

UK
“My favourite Chinese - in the world”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I love Fong Mei. I llive in London and dream about Fong Mei. The crispy beef, the sizzling kingclip, even the chicken chow mein, far surpass any chinese I've had in Europe. Whenever I return to JHB, I go to the Fong. Starters: the dumplings are delicious; fluffy and packed with pork. They're brilliant when munched with a bit of bok choi. The crispy beef is my ultimate though. It is gingery and sweet, but not deep fried to a leathery shoelace crisp. Instead it retains succulence and flavour wrapped in a crispy shell. The spare ribs are also delicious. And the Peking duck! Oh the Peking duck! More duck and pancakes than you can shake a chopstck at, served with plum sauce, spring onions and cucumber. Heaven! The hot pots are great (but I'm not really one for spice food, so I generally err on the noodle side of life). Essentially: if you're looking for great chinese in JHB, hit Fong mei. The ambience isn't amazing (white plastic picnic tables outside and simple furniture inside), but if it bugs you, get a takeaway. For me it's worht it to sit there just in case I want to order something extra.

• Visited January 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent Chinese”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is the best restaurant in town for Chinese. Never been adventurous enough to try any but the traditional Chinese dishes. Candy Lui and her staff are excellent but I do agree, never order your starter and main course together.

• Visited June 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Delightful family owned”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This restuarant is one of two family owned restaurants owned by William and Candy Liu.
Unlike most typical chinese restaurants, you will find delicious options avaialble at reasonable prices. In typical chinese tradition, don't order your starter and main course at the same time as it will all come together. The "Sizzling dishes are fantastic and highly recommended. A good experience at affordable prices. This is not a silver service restaurant, but very nice indeed.

• Visited November 2012