“Excellence!Cosy!Classy!Posh! Wonderful service”

Price range: US$85 - US$450
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The ultimate in experiential dining, five hundred celebrates the synergy between food, wine and art.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Last night was my birthday, and my fiance took me to 500 for a fantastic 6 course meal celebration. The service we received was excellent and the entire staff made us feel like high-end customers, right from the parking bay to the receptionists&waiters!Great value for money!We were both impressed and will definitely go back. Our concierge (a lady called Memory) was very friendly, professional and amazing! Her sense of humour and hospitality made us enjoy the visit even more. The highly skilled and famous chef (David Higgs) also gave us a personalised touch to the evening as it was my birthday. Excellence at its best. Great ambience, lovely view and attentive waiters!

GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Five Hundred, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Daffiez,

Our team from five hundred at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa are always more than delighted to read positive reviews and thank you so much for the wonderful comments. Thank you for choosing five hundred to celebrate your special occasion and we are so overjoyed to hear that you had a lovely evening with us.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon to spend some more time with us and on your next visit please do let managingdirector@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us here at the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was lucky enough to have been given a voucher as a gift to visit this excellent restaurant which is managed by David Higgs and based in Sandhurst in Johannesburg. We were welcomed graciously into the hotel and up a private lift into the boutique restaurant and were shown to our table . The decor was really outstanding mainly in dark overtones with a full view of the chefs at work on the one side and a large tuberous mural on the other. Only six four seater tables were in the restaurant giving it a very intimate feel.

The meal started with an introduction to the four margarines and four salts that could accompany them and the crispy minature brown or white loaves served with them. The sommelier presented the menues and a fine flute of bubbly to pique the appetite.

We chose a four course wine accompanied meal , each course of which was presented by a separate member of the chefs team and was grouped with some excellent wine choices. I cannot really fault anything that was presented to me and enjoyed the culinary experience very much. Fine food well prepared and origionally presented. Great colours and wonderful flavours.

The meal was very pricey by Johannesburg standards but there was really nothing that was spared in terms of quality or service so very well done Saxon and David Higgs. I hope one day to be able to afford another visit..

Dear Greg W,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of five hundred at the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa. David Higgs and the team are always more than delighted to read positive reviews and thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had dinner here with friends last month and am sorry to say that I was disappointed. I had heard great things about David Higgs and his team, so was really looking forward to the experience. The restaurant decor and ambiance is fantastic (love being able to see the chefs at work in the kitchen) but, for the price you pay, I really expected everything to be as close to perfect as possible. The food (the reason you go and are prepared to pay so extravagantly) was inconsistent.

A wonderful curried pear soup for my starter was followed by tasty but sinewy tuna and then the toughest lamb I have ever eaten. I left half of it on my plate because it couldn't be cut. I should have said something, but one of my companions had already kicked up a fuss about having booked the chef's table, had it confirmed, and then when we arrived, it had been given to someone else, so I kept quiet. I noticed that Mr Higgs didn't visit our table at all that evening - something he did to the others - embarrassed perhaps? He should have been. I won't be back.

6  Thank Mandy B

Dear MandyB,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and feedback about your recent experience at five hundred at the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa.

Executive Chef David Higgs has been in touch with you directly to address this and we do hope that on your next visit you enjoy the experiential dining we have on offer.
Thank you again for your feedback as this is the only way we can improve on the experience we deliver to our guests at five hundred.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

In my experience the food was presented well, tasted good but the service was awful. I asked for a simple "Happy Birthday" message to be put onto the dessert but that was not even done. Considering I picked the venue for it to be special - it ended up being just average. Good wine selection & ambience.

2  Thank Sapna N
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have dined at all the famous gourmet restaurants in South Africa, but NOTHING can come close to Five Hundred at the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa! David Higgs has finally found the perfect place for his signature restaurant and the result is absolutely fabulous!

The restaurant is "city elegant" and intimate with only 8 tables and a chef's table. The culinary art is created of only the freshest produce, with most vegetables and herbs harvested the same day from the roof top garden of the hotel. The wine list is thick as a bible with wines from all over the world and in all price categories. And when it comes to the food - ahhh, there is just nothing like it! Taste, texture and presentation is world class, and when Guide Michelin finally arrives in Africa in 2015 this will be well appreciated. We enjoyed the six course tasting menu with matching wines by the glass, and will never forget the divine ”Ndabele salmon, sour cream, asietra caviar”, ”The quail circle of life” and ”Lychee and liquorice macaroon massacre” among other lovely dishes. Price for the six course menu with matching wines is R1550. Service is also absolute first class, which is not always the case in South Africa. The attention to detail is unique, such as a small pedestal for my handbag and a tray full of reading glasses of different strength.

This is the perfect place for a romantic gourmet experience for you and your loved one!
Bravo, David and staff!! Keep up the excellent work!