“Not the best”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Local Grill in Parktown North offers better value and better service. For a steak restaurant, The Meat Company is distinctly average.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

A Sth African's dream - great steak and tasty baked potato! Avoid the house basting on the steak as it is quite sweet (like a lot of tastes in Sth Africa!). Great ambiance sitting outside on a busy square with other restaurants around. Good wine list with plenty of options and like most restaurants in this country, great value compared to most of the rest of the world!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have eaten here a number of times, because it is convenient to places I tend to be and other people keep booking tables here. The front of the house is fine. Service is pleasant and competent. The failing is the kitchen. The meat is often tough! Quite remarkable for a steak house. The preparation is bland and bears little resemblence to how it was ordered. There are lots of better choices within a few steps.

I ate at another branch of this operation elsewhere in Jo'burg and had a much better experience.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We have always enjoyed this restaurant and decided to go for dinner as we had not been there for a couple of months. Unfortunately the whole evening was a disaster. It began when we sat down and found wet (used?) linen napkins on the table. I then received the wrong main course, and after a debate with the waiter whose fault this was, I agreed to keep the dish - a mixed grill - for the sake of timing. However once I started eating I found the chicken was completely raw, the beef raw, and the lamb burnt to a crisp. I sent it back and requested my original order - a beef skewer - which I received as my husband finished his meal. At least half the meat on the skewer, which I had ordered medium well, was very rare. We also had to send back a plate of danish feta which was so off and smelly it's remarkable it made it out the kitchen with no-one noticing.

We spoke to the manager who was apologetic, but he offered no compensation which was disappointing given how bad our dinner was. When we received the bill, they had charged for the more expensive mixed grill which I had not actually ordered and then sent back as it was inedible. Overall it appears the standards at this venue have really dropped which is a pity as it used to be a great spot.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

The food is always great, but the service is a little bit "poor". Btw I think The Meat Co is the best place in Melrose Arch where you can have a delicious beef fillet.

3  Thank Mario M