“Great food in a very relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Quills

Quills
Ranked #18 of 1,207 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Great food in a very relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Quills while on a stopover on a recent holiday and we thought it was terrific.
The menu was varied, the food was excellent and the and the staff were very efficient and friendly.
They kept the drinks flowing which is sometimes a struggle in Africa.
We were actually staying at another hotel but Quills was recommended to us by our travel agent and it didn't disappoint.
Overall a very good meal in a nice relaxing atmosphere and prices were about average.

• Visited July 2014
Manager M, Manager at Quills, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experience. I'm happy to hear that our staff met your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us, especially to enjoy our Quills restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
“Good grub in transit”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Well, if you find yourself with an unexpected stop over at Jo'berg airport as I did, the Intercon is a surprisingly well appointed and well serviced hotel just across the road from the concourse, beating other such hostelries that I have experienced hands down. On the ground floor is Quills restaurant. Whilst the room is not that promising, being rather long and narrow with a high ceiling, it is nicely decorated with a collage of African masks on the wall and an 18 metre porcupine quill mobile overhead (all individually hand crafted and painted).

The service is prompt and attentive, the menu interesting and the short wine list well chosen. My oysters were excellent even though the restaurant is not exactly at the seaside, but the Caesar salad was even better, indeed, historic for a couple of reasons. In the first place, instead of a sprinkling of croutons on the salad (which usually results in their losing crunch) a single, long crouton is served to one side. Magic to have the bite every time ! The star of the show however is the egg which is simmered at a low temperature for an hour, poached for a minute and then deep fried. Quite an extraordinary colour, taste and texture.

The one let down of my meal was the cheese course. The South African cheeses and chutney were fine but the Camembert was hard even when I sent I back. I made a comment on this point to the maitre and I was very impressed the next day when the chef, who had not been in the restaurant when I was there the night before, introduced himself to me, apologised and explained what had gone wrong. That's real customer service in my book - things don't always go well so it's how management responds subsequently that counts (the Front Desk also aplogised when I checked out).

All in all a most enjoyable meal (with one memorable course) was marred at the end but then rescued the next day by reactions that exceeded expectations. So, if you're stuck at Jo'berg airport there is a convivial watering hole nearby (and if you stay at the hotel but would like a change of scene you can always hop on the train for the short ride to Sandton).

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank adrianloader
Manager M, Manager at Quills, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for the detailed review. It is always good to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us.

Hoping to serve you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Much better than a normal airport hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by Quills, given that it is not just in a hotel but an airport hotel. As other reviewers have said the standard of food is good and the surroundings are quite pleasant. I ordered the eggs Benedict at breakfast which was very nicely done and had the catalpana fish stew in the evening. Choice of wine was good and service ok. I have rated it as average against other restaurants but I think it is much better than most hotel restaurants.

Visited July 2014
Manager M, Food and Beverage Manager at Quills, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for giving us feedback with regards your resent dining experience with us. We strive to delver the best service and quality at all times. Service delivery will be looked at to ensure that we avoid any short falls that may occur.

Jacques Visagie
F&B Manager
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The quality of food and exceptional service make this restaurant one of the best we have ever eaten at. Cannot praise highly enough. Also not expensive at all. If ever at Jo'burg airport or overnight at intercontinental and can fit in a meal, you must come here. Truly fantastic.

Thank you for choosing to dine with us, we appreciate to fantastic feedback and look forward to serving you again.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

You just don't expect to get food as good as this in a chain hotel. Good menu, good food, good service. Very much worth walking out of the terminal for!

1 Thank SteveHH1974
Good day

We value your support and positive feedback, please come and try Chef Trevor's new Lunch Menu.
We look forward serving you again.

F&B Manager