“Different time to view animals”
Review of Johannesburg Zoo

Johannesburg Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
US$55.22*
and up
Johannesburg Zoo General Admission
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have found the JHB Zoo to be proactive, they will arrange viewing of the nocturnal animals on special evening tours. They are always trying or developing new or better in closures for the animals. They do connect with other zoo's as well as helping in breeding and reintroducing animals back in to the wild ( endangered) The staff are very passionate about their animals.
I saw frist had on a night tour with a zoo keeper, who hand feed some animals and explained the history of each animal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was thrilled ot finally have visited the Johannesburg Zoo, what a great experience. the zoo was really clean, the animals looked well taken care of and most of the enclosures were quite spacious. I was very impressed also by the variety of different animals to view and my only regret is that we didnt go even earlier as we ran out of time to view all of the animals. my tip, pack a picnic basket and head down there early already as you can spend at least 6-7 hours in the zoo

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I went here with my two young boys and they had big expectations after living in London and going to ZSL London many times. We were a bit disappointed as there are not many animals and the enclosures are very spread out so expect a lot of walking. A lot of the enclosures were empty, and we walked to a long time to see an animal to find it was not in its enclosure. I would not return to the zoo.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The zoo is pleasant for a short stint. If you have toddler's or babies I do not recommend going to the zoo. There are no baby changing rooms for nappy changes, the toilets are dirty and not accommodating for babies. The animals there seem to be well looked after, the kiddie play area and restaurants are pleasant.

The entrance and the ticket areas are not clearly marked but relatively fast to get in. Last but by no means least, parking is an utter disaster.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Quite a large zoo which means alot of walking .those who struggle with mobility pay a bit to go on transport which goes around sea.whats even more lovely is awareness of environment and poaching threats