“Cosy and charm”
Review of The Winston Hotel

The Winston Hotel
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Far from the global and standardized hotel chains this place is charming and is a mix of comfort , old fashioned and classy Decoration. Professional team and appropriate service . Large rooms . Very quiet. Breakfeast as expected .
It is a pleasure to vsit the various lounges and take a book from the bibliotheque.
This place will stay in my memories for a long time and we recommed it to every visitor in johannesburg

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Gilles Mauritius

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor about your experience at the Winston Hotel. It is always wonderful to hear when our guests had enjoyed there stay at the Winston Hotel. We very much appreciate reading your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have.

Please contact our reserations team on reservations@thewinstonhotel.co.za when you next travel to Johannesburg as it will give us a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Winston Hotel

There are newer reviews for The Winston Hotel

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Winston Hotel in Rosebank for 3 nights in room No. 18 ( upstairs corner ) it is a gated hotel, with a gard and very safe. Rosebank is a very safe neighborhood.

Our first impressions were that this hotel was most likely an old private home, the inside is very elegent and well decorated, maintaining its colonial state.

The service was swift and efficient - we never waited for any of our needs or questions. We had asked for an early checkin which was provided without charge.

The most impressive feature was how quiet our room was and we were in town.

An emphasis on African curios and feel was very well incorporated into the modern and spacious room design. The room had a very cleana nd modern bathroom, a balcony facing the courtyard parking lot. Some rooms face the interior courtyard. Our room was also equipment with our own modem,

The breakfast was included and very good. It consisted of a buffet containining cold items and a menu with hot items that you could order such as eggs, toast, potatoes, etc...

To be improved:

1. The internet speed did not allow for much online streaming such as you tube. It would need to wait for a large percentage to download prior to being able to watch lets say a movie without it stopping to download.

2. The pool itself was a little run down with the cement discolored or chipped ( hopefully not dirty )

Would would certainly recommend this hotel as the price point is great for the value.

3. The tiles on the balcony (black) turned our bare feet black in seconds - caution should you have white socks....

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the back of the hotel are very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had made my reservation at another hotel several weeks before my 11/15-18 stay, but something was nagging me about the hotel on my first flight from NYC-Paris. While on layover, I found the Winston and immediately felt it was the perfect fit for this trip -- and indeed it was!

The room, a deluxe king, was tastefully eclectic while placing some emphasis on S. Africa and its locale. Perched on the 2nd floor, the room had a small balcony overlooking the courtyard and pool area. Each morning was a treat, as I was instructed to ring the front desk and immediately a member of the staff brought me the paper, my choice of tea or french press coffee and some biscuits. If was a great beginning to the day. Similarly, I enjoyed keeping the french doors to the balcony open during the night feel a gentle, fragrant breeze.

My room package also included free wifi and breakfast buffet downstairs. I was actually provided with a menu to order my breakfast, and the hotel staff were quite happy to provide an additional item from the menu or substitute something to my liking.

The Winston sits off a main road, so it is a very quiet boutique hotel. Even though it may feel isolated, the Rosebank Gautrain Station is a few blocks away and there are a number of shops nearby.

I left relaxed, wishing my trip was longer and hoping I will return sometime soon.

Room Tip: The Winston is a two-story hotel. I prefer the 2nd floor with a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Trekkingtheglobe_10

Thank you for taking the time to give us you valued feedback on your stay at the Winston Hotel.
It is always nice to receive feedback from our guests as it also helps keep the team motivated.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon to spend some more time with us and on your next visit please do let reservations@thewinstonhotel.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us on your next visit.

See you soon

Reviewed 21 December 2013

On my trip to Johannesburg in November, I can honestly say I was lucky enough to find this "little piece of heaven". From the level of service, to the rooms, to the bar area and dining, everything was absolutely fantastic and 5 star quality. Nothing was too much to ask for and all staff members made me feel completely relaxed, at home and welcome. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Johannesburg and I thank the hotel for making my stay so special.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Morning

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor about your experience at the Winston Hotel. It is always wonderful to hear when our guests had enjoyed there stay at the Winston Hotel. I will decently pass your comments on to the team as every takes great pride in making our guests feel at home as it gives us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

It will give us a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Winston Hotel

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I came to Johannesburg for a business trip in late October. I decided to stay at the Winston at the recommendation of a friend. My stay was nothing less than exceptional - the hospitality, the attention to detail and the warmth of the staff should be the envy of other hotels who claim to be of the same calibre. Also of impeccable standard was the cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel breakfast (unfortunately I didn't have a chance to otherwise eat at the hotel).

The position was also outstanding - in the heart of Rosebank - a vibrant and modern area of Johannesburg that is only a short walk away from the hotel. Also of wonderful convenience was the Gautrain which can take you to central Sandton in a matter of minutes.

I would recommend this hotel unreservedly for anyone visiting Johannesburg, for whatever purpose.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Vezdan123

Dear Vezdan123

Reviewed 7 December 2013

After reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews I was concerned about the level of staff service and the breakfast. I needn't have worried. Service was friendly and helpful throughout my stay. No breakfast buffet but enjoyed every breakfast. The location of the hotel is convenient for Rosebank. The rooms are large and comfortable and the the hotel ambiance stylish and intimate - no sterol large chain hotel atmosphere here. All in all I had a great stay and recommend this hotel to people tired of the conventional sterile large chain hotel

1  Thank Steve V

Dear Steve

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor about your experience at the Winston Hotel. It is always wonderful to hear when our guests had enjoyed there stay at the Winston Hotel as the team takes great pride in making our guests feel at home as it gives us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

please feel free to contact our reservations team on reservations@thewinstonhotel.co.za to make your next reservation with us as it would give the team and I great pleasure to welcome you back to the Winston Hotel

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Tasteful rooms with a classy yet modern decor. Our room had a bath and a separate shower. Balcony was over looking the hotel pool that was also tastefully set up with nice a great outdoor space and flowers surrounding it.
Overall service was excellent. We used their airport transfer service from and to the airport and both drivers were friendly an reliable.
We had only breakfast at THE restaurant (the hotel restaurant) but here again service was impeccable and the food was good too.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Elodie B

Dear ElodieB

We hope to see you back at teh Winston Hotel soon.