“Wonderful stay, new adress for return trip to JHB”
Review of The Winston Hotel

The Winston Hotel
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The pleasure I had in staying here likely was much heightened given the sharp contrast between the quality and service at the Winston and the total lack thereof at the hotel where I had left in a huff to come here. But to be sure, I had a great stay here.
The room was wonderful: spacious, spotless (my usual bugbear), a comfy and large bed, wonderful and stylish bathroom. Yes, it was clear beforehand that the rooms have no tea-making facilities but can be ordered 24/7, but it did pain me that every cup of tea did result in a hefty tip to the waiter. The gorgeous local bathrobes, or copies thereof, can be purchased for a decent amount when checking out, so do inquire!

After staying in various 5-star hotels in South Africa, it was refreshing to meet a barman who knows his stuff! Thanks for inquiring - and not simply deciding on my behalf - whether I want a huge lump of lemon in my Hendrick's but instead, yes, maybe a few thin slices of cucumber!

Breakfast and dinner both were very good (dinner was simply excellent, in fact) and trumped what were described to me beforehand as top restaurants in Johannesburg.

The not so good: wifi failed throughout my two-day trip. No, my Mac and iPad and phone were not to blame, your wifi did not work. Not a big deal as I was at the hotel mostly when I did not require full internet access for long, but please get this fixed.
There was a problem with my booking (reception desk disputing the conditions of my booking even though I could offer hard proof of the booking details) that took just a tad too long to resolve (i.e. several hours). It was resolved finally, but without an apology, which seemed a bit ungracious. I was not exactly left with a bad taste in my mouth but it would have been a bit more courteous to just give some acknowledgement of me not having been in the wrong (which was what was stated to me rather bluntly at the outset).

Small tip on room location: for a light sleeper, the rooms facing the road are perhaps not advisable, as they carry much noise from immediate traffic but also from two roads up at the much busier Rosebank Mall.

Would I return? Most certainly! I will likely be back in South Africa in September and will most definitely be back at the Winston Hotel. A colleague has stayed here since on my advice and likewise found the Winston preferable to all other hotels we had stayed in previously in Johannesburg.

Room Tip: Rooms facing road might be too noisy for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FDanvers
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear FDanvers

Thank you for your very positive review and for your support. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Winston Hotel and we appreciate your noticing the extra touches. I have passed your positive comment onto our staff as they are always exited to receive feedback from our guests.
During the month of May our internet service provider was busy doing upgrades to the WIFI lines to the hotel and this affected the WIFi speed at the hotel. I am glad to report that our WIFI connections has now been upgraded to the highest speed capacity as well as the hotel has optic fiber internet lines running to the property.
The Winston Hotel team pride themselves in the detail and in providing personalized service and I do apologize for the manner in which your dispute was handled and assure you that this is not the norm at the Winston hotel. I have address this incident at our next management meeting to ensure this does not happen in the future.
Once again thank you for the great feedback as this kind of feedback assist us in improving our level of service to your guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to Winston Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for The Winston Hotel

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Really enjoyed our nights stay at The Winston, lovely rooms and staff and very close to the Gautrain which meant we didn't have to rent a car. I would highly recommend this Hotel, if your looking for a home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate M
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Kate M

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Delighted to be back in my home town after some years in the USA and I treated myself to a hotel stay near my old street. It was quite a surreal experience being so close to home again. I loved the hotel, it was stunning and so comfortable. Decor and styling were wonderful. Food was fantastic and waiting staff were very attentive. I stayed for ten days so was costly but well worth it. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bbee C

Dear Bbee C

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This special boutique hotel is a must try and just a block away in a quite leafy street a block away from the Rosebank Station.

We hosted a event for 40 work colleagues which turned out to be just perfect.

Personalized service and a quality meal made the evening very special.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EONJoburg
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear EONJoburg

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your event.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great little find in the heart of Rosebank, superbly done up rooms, spacious, well appointed, tasteful. Very friendly and helpful staff, the free all day room service on tea and coffee is great as well especially as you can book a wakeup call and mornign coffee the night before. The areas of improvement are minor but just in case Winston wants to get even better:
1. Bathroom floors are really cold in winter, any way to heat them orr have rugs?
2. Also the basin tap takes ages for the hot water to come through, anyway to improve that plumbing?
3. Check-in staff while very friendly and well-meaning was quite perplexed and unprapered in the billing area and took ages to prepare check-out bill and explain the money they had held on ym carrd,. then cancelled plus the actual charges. Made me look silly and suspicious to ask for explanation mutliple times
4. Food is good but really tiny menu that risks getting repetiive for medium stay guests, definitely needs more variety
5. Curtains around the work space window in the room since the sun shines really brightly and makes it impossible to sit at the desk during the day to work. Despite the lovely alcove I had to work on my bed coz I couldnt sit at the desk and take the sun in my eyes

Room Tip: I'd say anything on the first floor since the groun floor rooms look directly out into the court...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear DeblinaC

Thank you for your very positive review and for your support. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Winston Hotel and we appreciate your noticing the extra touches. The Winston Hotel team pride themselves in the detail and in providing personalized service.

I have taken your suggestions and comments to heart and will address them at our next management meeting to find the best possible solution to make our guests stay a more pleasant and memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Winston Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I live on Johannesburg and we wanted to have one night at a hotel ( a Staycation;) and we chose this hotel. Number one it's gorgeous.. Very stylishly put together. What really impresses me is how a place handles a complaint (our aircon was loud) & they really handled it well. They give 24hrs free tea and coffee and it's delivered to your room. Breakfast amazing. Bar v nice. Enjoy! It's a great hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SashaSimitopoulos
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Sirensash

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is my third time staying at The Winston Hotel. I stayed for 1 week and once again my stay was excellent. The staff are helpful and attentive, David, the driver, so helpful and friendly, picked me up from the airport in a spotless Mercedes. when i arrived at the hotel, as usual i was welcomed by staff who made me feel comfortable.The rooms are spacious and luxurious and i slept like a baby. The food at the restaurant is delicious -i ate dinner there every night, i am quite a fussy eater, so even when i ordered things that were not exactly on the menu it was no problem, this personal attention to guests is an example of level of service that earned this exquisite hotel its five stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Clair