“Great B&B and perfect service”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 293 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Great B&B and perfect service”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in Rutland House for our last night in South Africa. The place has a lovely garden full of birds in a quiet area of Johannesburg with malls and parks a few blocks away. The best thing here is the service. Delia is absolutely wonderful, sweet and welcoming. She even drove us herself to the restaurant for our dinner and made sure that the restaurant will organize our way back to the B&B. Breakfast was like at home and we had a great time talking with her as if we knew each other for a long time.
I definitely recommend this B&B if you visit Johannesburg!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
delia12014, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Xavier, Thank you both for staying at Rutland House. You are the sort of guests who make me love my work. I equally enjoyed our interesting conversations and I was sorry you were gone so soon. Thank you for your lovely review it was a great pleasure to have you both to stay. I hope you return to South Africa in the near future. All the best.
Delia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I must take my hat off to Delia and her team, stayed there for a week and the stay was so relaxed hardly realised that I was down in Johannesburg on business. The rooms were extremely comfortable, even the environment and surroundings were so relaxed. The home cooked meals were a great welcome, what a big change from having to live on takeaways. anyone traveling be it on pleasure or business Rutland Guest House is the place to stay. I know I will be making as many stops there as I can be it business or pleasure. Thanks Delia see you soon. Norris C

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
True to your word you were back before I could thank you for your lovely review.
It was great to have you to stay again and I look forward to the next time.
All the best and thank you.
Luanda, Angola
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Welcome to Rutland House! It was with these warm words I was received on the evening of April the 5th, in Craighall Park Johannesburg. The next morning, I was simply amazed at the verdant heavenly, beauty, idyllic place. Additionally to its beauty, it is a quiet, safe place with all modern requirements for a business or family trip . It is with great pleasure that I'll schedule my next stay in Johannesburg Rutland House.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
It was such a pleasure to have you to stay and your enthusiasm for my B&B was most refreshing.
I enjoyed our interesting chats at breakfast before you went to work and I really look forward to your promised next visit when I will show your the results of the renovations in the other rooms that were being done during your visit. Keep well till then and thank you for the great review. Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We are a family of 4 and have recently returned from a most fantastic trip to Jo'Burg, RSA. We were lucky enough to stay at Rutland House B&B where we were made so welcome. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with all mod cons, and the gardens were a picture with the most charming swimming pool which looked so inviting, but we didn't use as the weather wasn't warm enough. Delia was incredibly friendly and accommodating and we would definitely stay again when in Jo'Burg in the future. In fact, she made us so welcome and comfortable that we wouldn't dream of looking for anywhere else to stay. Thank you Delia for such happy memories of your beautiful B&B - we will be back!

Fiona and Alan Palacci and family

Room Tip: Delia replied very promptly to our specific requests and managed to satisfy all our requirements. Al...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fiona P
Dear Fiona, Thank you for your super review. I am sorry it was such a fleeting visit but I felt we had known each other for years by the time you left. I am so pleased I could have you and your delightful family to stay and I could accommodate all the various sleeping arrangements for you so successfully. I look forward to your next trip so keep well till then.
Best regards
Delia.
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Rutland House is a quiet haven with lovely rooms and wonderful personal service. I first stayed there several years ago, and had forgotten how charming it is. My recent visit more than lived up to my expectations. The gardens are beautiful and the whole place is relaxing and welcoming. Delia was very friendly and helpful and organised trips for me, all of which worked beautifully. I certainly look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your lovely review Doreen. I look forward to having you to stay again at Rutland House on your annual South African holiday. I always enjoy your visits and our chats, you have become a good friend over the many years and one of my treasured guests. I look forward to showing you my new renovations next January .
Keep well till next time. Delia
Paris
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at Rutland House several times over the years, up until last year. I am now planning another trip to Jo'burg, but will stay somewhere else. In spite of the good reviews on Tripadvisor, I have watched the accommodations at Rutland House slowly become more and more worn out each time I visit, and the bathrooms are 1980s style. Yes, Delia is a charming hostess, but there is much better, and cheaper, accommodation available in Jo'burg.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank J-CDup
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much for your honest review. I completely agree with you that 2 of the bathrooms needed upgrading. 1 has been done already and we are busy with the next as I write.
Every year I budget approximately R1000,00.00 for upgrading and maintenance. Last year it was trees, garden, TV's and beds. Next year it is replacing carpets with wooden floors.
As I am still educating my daughter at university I have to budget carefully.
I do however feel it was a little harsh to write off my entire Guest House due to an old fashioned bathroom which worked perfectly. This is an old property with loads of character and was not custom built as a B&B which is why many of my regular guests come back for years on end and my new guests love it.
I do hope you have an enjoyable stay wherever you are on your next trip to Johannesburg.
regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

From the moment we arrived from our overnight flight from Singapore we really loved staying at Rutland House and Delia is such a good hostess, somehow finding time to chat and fill us in. The property is most attractive and well looked after and is in a very secure and safe area. Delia also organises safe collection and delivery to the airport. Delicious breakfasts cooked in front of us and a firstclass restaurant for dinner close by. We think South African B&Bs are as good as we have ever found, and this was certainly one of the best.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for your great review. It was a pleasure to have you to stay and I am pleased I could give you a good welcome to South Africa for the first few nights on your holiday at Rutland House. I trust the rest of your holiday was as successful and enjoyable.
With very best regards