“No complaints at all !”

10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My boyfriend whisked me away to 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate for the weekend to celebrate our Anniversary, and I couldn't have asked for a more amazing Hotel or weekend! From the moment we arrived the service was impeccable! The staff were always friendly and their etiquette was 5 star worthy.

The food is most definitely worth mentioning, every meal was interesting, presented beautifully and delicious! The chef was friendly and we loved talking to him but most of all, his food was divine.

The Hotel room itself was beautiful and clean as well as cosy. When we weren't sitting in front of the fire place we were walking through the breath-taking gardens. It really felt like I was far from home in the middle of nowhere, I most definitely didn't feel like I was in the middle of a busy city but also had the luxury of going to a mall up the road when we needed to.

I loved every second I spent at 10th on 2nd Avenue; my only regret is that I didn't stay for longer. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you very much for the time and effort to write your review. You will have to return soon and spend a bit more time with us!! Your comments are appreciated.

There are newer reviews for 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I spent one day and one night at the hotel whilst on a business trip. Apart from the friendly and professional staff, the rooms were a great pleasure to stay in. I had dinner in the restaurant and it was out of this world! Great quality and I could definitely recommend my experience to others.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We appreciate your time and comments very much. I have forwarded your compliments to the various departments. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was probably our best experience of any Johannesburg establishment. Attention to detail started with the gate security and was repeated throughout or stay by the front office, waiters and all the service staff. Rooms are impeccable. No request was a problem, our car was washed without having to ask, and breakfast was a family feast. Well done to Anita and her team, we will be back and this may become our favourite overnight home in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AndrevanHeerden

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Have spend three days at the Hotel during a business trip to Johannesburg. The staff are very friendly and professional, yet very discreet and the overall impression of the property is faultless. I had dinner in their restaurant every night and the quality/value of the meals was also excellent.
I will definitely recommend to colleagues and will be back on my next trip to Johannesburg

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Being a trainer, I have been to my fair share of conferencing venues, and I have to say, 10 2nd Avenue certainly stands out. From the warm reception I received from management when I came in, to the polite and helpful staff, who not only helped me carry my things in, but were there to take it all back to my car afterwards, I was left exceptionally impressed. It is a jewel of a conferencing venue situated in timeless suburb of Johannesburg that I would recommend to anyone looking for an intimate conferencing venue.
Usually one finds that the service might be there but the kitchen is a let-down. Not so in this case. From the freshly baked danishes to the delicious lunch that was served, this boutique hotel ticks all the boxes.
I have recommend this venue to all my Johannesburg-based clients and am looking forward to coming back in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you very much for your kind response. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have used the venue on a number of occasions recently for small group meetings.

The location is ideal being within easy reach of Sandton and the old CBD and just off the N1 highway. At all times, we have found the staff and management to be most accommodating, even with last minute changes and requests.

I have no hesitation in recommending the venue for similar events such as Board breakaways, small trainings and group meetings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

It is always a great pleasure for all here at 10 2nd Avenue Houghtone Estate to welcome back our regular conference delegates. Thank you very much for taking a few moments to put your thoughts to paper.

We strive to make all our guests experience our true hospitalty and "gracious living in luxury".

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Today was my first and as it turns out, my last visit to the training venue of the Hotel. I was training a corporate group of 12 , our venue was booked by the company till 17h00. ( I know this because I saw the booking sheet and all delegates had the meeting request till then) I was training a resilience and stress management programme, initially I was pleased with the environment as the gardens and building lends well to set a calm atmosphere. I must thank Luke and Christopher and Professor who helped allot with my set up, which is very busy and involves much unpacking and sorting out, they have much to teach the "Bosses". Sadly that's where my compliments end, the Management demonstrated very unprofessional behaviour and poor judgement, I was asked informally when I arrived what time I was planning to finish, I know the room was booked till 17h00 by the company, but I mentioned I may end a bit early but I was not sure and I still needed time to pack up my stuff. The session was going well when I was asked to step outside at 1615 by the Manager, he had a new group of people with him now waiting to get into the room, he asked me when I was planning to leave as I was meant to be out the room by 16h00????I was still not finished and now had " people " outside the room, glaring at me and putting me and my group under pressure, including approaching the delegates demanding to know when we they are leaving, so inappropriate! I chose to ignore them, but the group picked up the issue and agreed to help me pack up at 1645 when some delegates needed to go, the next group just started coming in while I was still packing up. The staff at the Hotel did NOTHING to help me. Luckily my delegates assisted and helped me pack up including taking all my bags to my car. I have never in all my 20 years of training seen such unprofessional hosting, I also never received my meal which I asked them to bring after the workshop.The delegates were also shocked and it really messed up the calm and peaceful space we were all in from the session. I will be letting the company know of this poor standard and am sure the delegates will complain too. So perhaps the hotel is nice to stay at but be warned if you use the training venue make very certain what time you are booked till and when they are anticipating the next group to come in, or else you may be in for a forced removal like we had.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CAMSRMAC
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We are sincerely grateful for your comments and the time and effort for writing these comments. I have subsequently to you writing this been in contact with you per telephone and have personally apologized and explained the circumstances around your unfortunate experience. Once again our most sincere apology. As discussed and being in the hosting business yourself, you will understand the pressure we may find ourselves under from time to time.

However this is no excuse and we will take a valued lesson from your unfortunate experience and build upon it not to book the same venue for two conferences in succession.

Thank you for your positive comments and your compliments have been conveyed to the staff mentioned.