“You get what you pay for - staff amazing”
Review of Backpackers Ritz

Backpackers Ritz
Reviewed 17 November 2011

the place is basic but that is what you pay for - the rooms were clean and the staff were brilliant friendly and very helpful - this is not a 5 star hotel, if what you want is that then pay more and go somewhere else if what you want is a bed and a shower and a good laugh then go here - there is a bar, pool table, kitchen, you can order food and there is a swimming pool - you are near a great bakery and there is a shopping centre near but it is a high end one but has a supermarket - there is also a money exchange near by.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 November 2011

And that is the location! Nice leafy suburb and walking distance to the best Bakery ever Fournos Bakery! Also walking distance to Roseland and African Market ( 40 minutes). If you are staying at the Ritz, it means you should not bother with a walk to Hyde Park Mall which is definitely an Elite Shopping Centre with extravagant price tags!

Had to be here for our Acacia Tours. Booked three nights before and two nights after...What a mistake! I will be taking this up with my travel agent.

Rooms are spartan with rickety and old furniture pieces. Our bed creaked everytime one of us moved ( just like the floor boards).

The pillows and toilet paper could win Guiness Book Records for being the thinnest around.
Room #5 has a nice view but room #11 down the back has view to the pool therefore no privacy. The rooms have no ceiling fans and no air conditioning therefore, we suffered with heat and mosquito bites as no mosquito nets either ( oh but we were reassured that there is no malaria in Jo'Burg).

The airport transfer ....well that was the worst service ever! With one hour wait after the scheduled time of 8am, the driver finally found us sitting down in the arrival foyer and without any apologies justified his lateness with : This is Africa! It was a horrible start to our one month Safari.

Do not stay there. It is just not worth it.

Room Tip: If you really, really have to book in there because you have a 5am start with your tour, then book...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozmanon
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We researched this place prior to leaving Australia and wisely chose to stay elsewhere for two nights. We had a pre departure briefing for our Acacia trip and had to be here.
We had rooms down the back and although they were relatively clean they were extremely cold, small and only had two showers and one toilet for about five rooms.
Others on our trip had the misfortune to be in the dorms and on feeling cold at night searched for the windows and found it broken and missing.
Giving it fair dues; we were probably too old for this sort of place and mayber our kids would have liked it - not for us!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yurgo56
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My name is Backpacker Mike.
Most know me for my online booking website that has more than 1 million video reviews of hostels and tours worldwide.
I have recently stayed at The Johannesburg Ritz backpackers which I am compelled to take the time to sit down and add my opinion so others can benefit from good advice.
If you are looking for a neat, clean, safe place to stay when arriving or leaving Johannesburg you should definitely stay here.
I like it because it is safe and clean.
the staff are friendly and the owners are super cool funny guys ( brothers ) who laugh and enjoy life.

I can say that my stay here has proven to be better than I had ever expected.

Take my advice. I have 26 000 backpackers on my web site and I have traveled all over the world.
I know a good hostel when I see it.

You will be safe and taken care of with a smile.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MichaelVilaculos
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Three of us stayed at this backpackers while in Jo'Burg and overall it was ok. We had a lot of contact with various staff over the few days we stayed and their attitudes ranged from polite and attentive to defensive and/or apologetic. We stayed in a triple room that was close to the front door and while the walls weren't exactly soundproof, it was comfortable enough that we all had a good night's sleep. The bathrooms/showers were clean enough, although perhaps not plentiful enough to service a full house!

The reason for the poor rating relates to the interactions between the manager (or perhaps staff supervisor?) and the staff - we became aware of him continually berating the staff and, whether it was justified or not, it was completely unprofessional of him to reprimand them in public (usually at the reception desk or communal tv area). It made us all uncomfortable, as were the other backpackers staying there, and to be honest, for that simple reason, I would not recommend staying at this accommodation to anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank WolfgangCash
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The ritz is an alarming prospect when you first arrive, with intense security precautions at the entrance. The place is clean, safe and the facilities were reasonable. We had a double room which was fine for the price; it's basic, but after 2 weeks of camping anything clean with a shower rated highly for us. Hot dinners are available and Internet access. Nevertheless, the reception staff were terrible - the manager was hostile and intimidating which really put me off the place - our mates went somewhere else because of it!

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank Wecantravel
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We booked 3 nights but we stayed one. (canceld the other 2) It was freezing in the room, we have to ask a extra heater. The one in the room didn't work proper. The people at the counter were very unfriendly and no helpfull at all. Our kitchen on our camping tour was 10 times better then here.
The price was much to high during te Worldchampion ship. The showers where dirt.
The advice is: DON'T GO here. There are much more and better places to go.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple