“very good price for what you get”
Review of Backpackers Ritz

Backpackers Ritz
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Clean
Very Safe
Couldn't use the pool because it was very dirty
Very friendly and helpful staff
Cleaning lady quite loud in the morning
Close to supermarket and mall (expensive)
Nice activities proposed (we did 2 and were happy about them)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed in a double room for the last four nights of our trip, after a month of camping in Africa. After our trip, the Ritz was a great place to relax. You get what you pay for, and the location is great. The area is pretty safe, and you can walk around with ease. The beds were really comfortable, and we found the staff to be fantastic. They help you organise any sightseeing you may want to do, and not to mention help you get back to the airport. Bathrooms were pretty ordinary, the showers were of a low standard, however there was hot water, so really that's all you need. Close to fantastic take out, café's and shopping malls. A great way to end our trip.

Room Tip: rooms down the stairs outside were quiet and peaceful!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2012

great professional friendly staff, clean bathrooms and bedrooms. Overall great experience, thank you!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 17 November 2011

the place is basic but that is what you pay for - the rooms were clean and the staff were brilliant friendly and very helpful - this is not a 5 star hotel, if what you want is that then pay more and go somewhere else if what you want is a bed and a shower and a good laugh then go here - there is a bar, pool table, kitchen, you can order food and there is a swimming pool - you are near a great bakery and there is a shopping centre near but it is a high end one but has a supermarket - there is also a money exchange near by.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2011

And that is the location! Nice leafy suburb and walking distance to the best Bakery ever Fournos Bakery! Also walking distance to Roseland and African Market ( 40 minutes). If you are staying at the Ritz, it means you should not bother with a walk to Hyde Park Mall which is definitely an Elite Shopping Centre with extravagant price tags!

Had to be here for our Acacia Tours. Booked three nights before and two nights after...What a mistake! I will be taking this up with my travel agent.

Rooms are spartan with rickety and old furniture pieces. Our bed creaked everytime one of us moved ( just like the floor boards).

The pillows and toilet paper could win Guiness Book Records for being the thinnest around.
Room #5 has a nice view but room #11 down the back has view to the pool therefore no privacy. The rooms have no ceiling fans and no air conditioning therefore, we suffered with heat and mosquito bites as no mosquito nets either ( oh but we were reassured that there is no malaria in Jo'Burg).

The airport transfer ....well that was the worst service ever! With one hour wait after the scheduled time of 8am, the driver finally found us sitting down in the arrival foyer and without any apologies justified his lateness with : This is Africa! It was a horrible start to our one month Safari.

Do not stay there. It is just not worth it.

Room Tip: If you really, really have to book in there because you have a 5am start with your tour, then book...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozmanon
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We researched this place prior to leaving Australia and wisely chose to stay elsewhere for two nights. We had a pre departure briefing for our Acacia trip and had to be here.
We had rooms down the back and although they were relatively clean they were extremely cold, small and only had two showers and one toilet for about five rooms.
Others on our trip had the misfortune to be in the dorms and on feeling cold at night searched for the windows and found it broken and missing.
Giving it fair dues; we were probably too old for this sort of place and mayber our kids would have liked it - not for us!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yurgo56
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My name is Backpacker Mike.
Most know me for my online booking website that has more than 1 million video reviews of hostels and tours worldwide.
I have recently stayed at The Johannesburg Ritz backpackers which I am compelled to take the time to sit down and add my opinion so others can benefit from good advice.
If you are looking for a neat, clean, safe place to stay when arriving or leaving Johannesburg you should definitely stay here.
I like it because it is safe and clean.
the staff are friendly and the owners are super cool funny guys ( brothers ) who laugh and enjoy life.

I can say that my stay here has proven to be better than I had ever expected.

Take my advice. I have 26 000 backpackers on my web site and I have traveled all over the world.
I know a good hostel when I see it.

You will be safe and taken care of with a smile.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo