“GREAT PLACE TO LAND IN!”

Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 295 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“GREAT PLACE TO LAND IN!”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I have stayed with Liz at least 3 times over the past few years and am now ´part of the furniture´. I visit this busy city once a year on business and would certainly never stay anywhere else when in Jhb. The facilities are extremely well planned. I love the fact that I can be self-sufficient but there is always a helping hand nearby in case I need advice. The Room Booklet which is supplied is a mine of information. The venue is in a very convenient and safe location. Although I now always hire a rental car when visitnig the city, on my first visit, Liz happily arranged all transport for me and so I had to think of nothing. I always feel perfectly safe and at home in this lovely spot and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going to Josie! Thanks to Liz, Zac and the rest of the lovely staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
We are always delighted when you come back to stay Barbara. We have so many regular guests who return again and again and we take that as the highest complement. Thank you for your extensive feedback about your stays at Liz at Lancaster. We're so delighted that it is a safe secure and comfortable haven for you in this busy bustling city. It is amazing just how quiet and secluded it is, yet how close we are to the major business and leisure hubs. So thanks again Barbara for taking the time and trouble to write about your stays here. And we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
All the best from us all - Liz, Zac, Catherine and Thandie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Harare
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I travel to SA a lot on business and have stayed in numerous hotels, B & B and lodges. Liz@Lancaster is by far the best accommodation we have found. We always try and stay here, as the service, rooms and amenities are the best, and you get great value for your money. The whole package is great as Liz really does try to do everything she can to make your stay more comfortable. Zac their driver is also great, and is always on hand to help.

Overall the best place I have found so far to stay, I highly recommend Liz@lancaster

Room Tip: The Ochre room is my favourite
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Nkosi, we so enjoy seeing you every time you have a return visit. You like many others are part of the greater Liz at Lancaster family of guests who return for hopefully the same reasons you do: value for money, good service and comfortable amenities. Plus of course Zac's driving services and friendly helpfulness. We're delighted that all went well with Hayley's op and it was such a success. So thanks again for taking to time to write about your various stays here at Liz at Lancaster and we look forward to seeing you next time you are down in SA again.
All the best from the Liz at Lancaster team: Liz, Zac, Catherine and Thandie
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We just stayed 3 nights at Liz at Lancaster. I have stayed at a wide variety of guest houses and this is in my top 5 for sure! First of all, they made everything so easy. From check-in, to sorting out breakfast, to getting in and out, it was all easy. The room was lovely (I believe we stayed in the Earth room) which is attached. We heard a TINY bit of noise but nothing that would keep you awake. I enjoyed having a kitchenette so we did not have to go out every night. The wi-fi is GREAT, and made getting work done so much easier. The breakfast was also very good. I love how they have little notes posted everywhere! It makes the stay so easy, and you don't have to ask a million questions. She also has a large booklet of TONS of information in each room, which is very helpful.

Overall, it was a great stay. There were nice personal touches (recycle bin, bath products, electric blanks, and home-made rusks!) which made the stay lovely. We did not meet the owner herself, but were taken VERY good care of even though she was away!

THANK YOU!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Hi Meg,
I am so sorry to have missed you when you came to stay. I was away on a five day break in Kruger Park (which was just wonderful.) I am really pleased that you enjoyed staying here and that all the details and small luxuries were appreciated and made a difference. We do try to make things as easy as possible for guests at all stages: from enquiry; to booking; to airport collection; to getting to know the ins-and outs of the room and facilities on arrival; to what's on offer in the immediate area and in Joburg generally, etc. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Liz at Lancaster. We're delighted that all went smoothly, that it was such a great stay and most importantly, that we are in your TOP 5 guesthouses. That is a really great accolade. We look forward to welcoming you back if and when you are ever back in Joburg.
From us all at Liz at Lancaster : Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie and while I was away : Olga and Dick
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed in Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse on 31 May 2013 and really felt valued from the time of booking all the way to reception. Liz and her staff have a warm heart and know how to make travelers feel at home away from home. The Wi-Fi even made my business simpler as I could catch with my daily task once I settled in the room. The breakfast was excellent. Overall the services available at Lancaster Guesthouse is value for money.

Room Tip: The whole guesthouse is of best quality, you cannot regret upon arrival. I encourage you to think of...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Samuel we really appreciate the time and trouble you took to give feedback on your stay with us. Thank you. As a South African your comment about value for money is really appreciated as we certainly try to go the extra mile with value added conveniences and it is good to get positive feedback about this. You say too that the wi-fi enabled you to keep to your work commitments. We have a regular guest who also makes use of the landline phone for conference calls (each unit has its own phone with direct line), as he prefers it to using his mobile phone. So yes, we do cater equally for the business and leisure traveller. I’m sure business will bring you back to Joburg, so we hope to see you again on your next visit.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster: Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Ochre Studio where we stayed for three nights at Liz @ Lancaster was a pure delight: clean, cozy, relaxing, quiet and privately secluded. What a fantastic "home" away from home!

We could not think of anything that Liz did not think ahead and prepare for her guests' needs. She even prepared an info book on any and every topic for anyone visiting Johannesburg. It really came in handy for us - visiting Jo-Burg for the first time.

She even listed on the info book the FM102.7 classical music station which we still tune to after returning to NY. Thanks to Internet and WIFI!!

On our second night stay, we decided to eat-in at the studio just so we could avail of this simple pleasure of rest and relaxation we found so therapeutic!

On the third night, we met up for dinner with our sister at the Cnr Road Café down the road.
We can see that for Liz, this is a mission for her with all her energy and thoughtfulness in caring for her guests.

We will never forget the delicious rusks Liz have so kindly home-baked for her guests and the special blend of coffee, that on cool nights and cool mornings, it was just the perfect heart and stomach warming delight.

We can't wait to go back and visit Liz and Zac and of course, Molly!!

Room Tip: Check ahead with Liz as her place is so popular with returning guests.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe_GardenCity
We at Liz at Lancaster are so pleased you had such a good time on your first visit to South Africa and to Joburg. Thank you Joe for taking the time and trouble to write about your experiences during your visit. And wonderful that SA’s Classic FM station is now being listened to all the way across the seas in New York City!! It was good that you had a meal at the Cnr. Café as they have a great menu with very good food. I have never had a mediocre meal there. You can see why it consistently gets the thumbs up for the being an excellent neighbourhood restaurant. I wish I could have given you some rusks to take back with you – you could have enjoyed them with your coffee in New York and been transported back to South Africa ! Now that ‘the African bug has bitten’ we so hope that you will return to SA and if so that ypu will come and stay with us again. We really enjoyed meeting you both.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster including a tail wag from Marley !
Reviewed 20 May 2013

What a wonderful place to stay.
Our family is spread over north and south Johannesburg so location is a bonus.
Thanks for looking after us so well and the breakfasts set us up for the day.
A hotel would be far too impersonal and we enjoyed the quiet garden.
Des and Angela

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Des E
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
We're delighted Des and Angela that you found the location at Liz at Lancaster to be so convenient. As you know, many of South Africa's map books are published by Map Studio. And Map Studio's book of Joburg has a schematic diagram of this large metropolis with motorways, main arteries and key suburbs. And RIGHT in the centre of Map Studio's diagram is Craighall Park, which as you so rightly point out, is equidistant from the southern and northern regions of this large sprawling. Plus of course we are less than 15 minutes from Sandton, Randburg, Johannesburg Central and Cresta in the west, and less than 10 minutes from Rosebank. So we are certainly a central location. Good too that the garden was a haven in this bustling city.
All the best from the team at Liz at Lancaster: Liz , Catherine, Zac and Thandie
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

There’s a reason Liz at Lancaster is #1 on Trip Advisor; it is simply top notch.

Travelling alone, I traversed reviews for weeks, wanting somewhere ‘safe’ (I was overcome by the cautions on TA), and wanted something between a backpackers (for friendliness & meeting people) and a hotel (for comfort). Liz at Lancaster is what you might call more a ‘utopia’; providing the best of both. Liz’s delivered the familiarity of a backpackers but with the luxury of a hotel; no, correct that, the luxury of a ‘home’.

Each room (I stayed in the ‘Earth’ room) is like a mini apartment/flat, resplendent with lounge, kitchenette and courtyard (bigger than some London dwellings)! I only had 2 days in Johannesburg (wish it was more; it gets an undeserved bad wrap and I will be going back), and Liz confirmed all bookings efficiently via email and, organised an airport pick up by the wonderful Zac (who waited 2 hours for my delayed flight), and booked me a Soweto and Apartheid Museum tour ahead of my arrival. Liz’s website gives a great outline for first-time visitors to Jozi of what-to-do on anything from a 2 to 7 day visit. Check it out.

In regard to rooms, I visited at the start of winter (still moderate, but chilly nights and mornings) and the floor-heated carpet and bathroom tiles were, for this Australian, a revelation I had not encountered before. Pure luxury! Pad around in your bare feet and singlet top and you’ll still be more than comfortable brushing your teeth and getting ready for the day. If you need to repack, like I did, there’s more than enough room to swing 10 cats!!!! There’s also a heated blanket on the bed, but I didn’t need this during my time. My favourite things about Liz’s were: you can come and go as you please (this isn’t rooms in a house, it’s your own place, just like a hotel) and you get keys and a gate ‘toggle’ to enter and exit at your leisure. In room, there’s a ‘mini-bar’ if you like, and wine and other such refreshments are stocked (at reasonable cost) if you haven’t had the time (or inclination) to self-cater. There is ‘home-filtered, great tasting’ water and signature South African ‘husks’ for free! You can buy groceries from the walking-distance store up the road to fend-for-yourself in the fully decked-out kitchen or, order from the extensive Mr Delivery-menu (or, of course, eat out; and with arrangements, be collected by the fabulous Zac, or get home by taxi)! The bathroom toiletries are also ‘something else’; not the usual commercially-produced perfumed fare, they’re lovely essentials of oatmilk, honey and bran. Strangely, in South Africa they only seem to supply shampoo/conditioner combined, so if you like it otherwise, make sure you pack a standalone conditioner. Blowdryers in room.

Breakfast is superb with the options of home-made muesli (no preservatives, no sugar), which can be sweetened with the organically harvested local honey (a consumption of joy on my visit). Hot breakfasts and specially brewed coffee are made to order, and with the delightful smells emanating from the kitchen, and the view overlooking the sun-kissed pool; it’s a pretty good start to your day.

The Craighall Park neighbourhood is very pretty with tree-lined streets and feels very safe. I’m not sure, however, its proximity to ‘things to do’ because Zac chauffeured me everywhere I needed to go. Liz is very helpful, so if this is a priority of your visit, email her ahead of time and I’m sure she’ll respond with best options to get around.

I used Liz’s suggested Peter for my Soweto tour and was very happy; a very generous and friendly host. I was lucky enough to join Fred and Lydia from Ghana and their insight provided me a different, and appreciated, perspective.

We collected Fred and Lydia from the Hyatt, and still, admiring its surrounds and friendly service, I wouldn’t give you tuppence for it after having enjoyed Liz at Lancaster!!!

Liz’s is simply the perfect choice for the comfort and (frankly, more than luxury) of a hotel, combined with the relaxed friendliness of a backpackers. And, you can take it both ways; together, or mutually exclusive!

LIZ’s is the BEST OF ALL WORLDS, however your inclination to enjoy it is!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SoozSolo
Wow Suzanne ! Can I either bottle you as a preserve or photocopy you ? (the latter is an expression from an ex-student who was so delighted with how I had helped sort out a bureaucratic admin problem at Wits where I taught for many years!!) Next time I need to re-write my website I am coming to you! .. 'sun-kissed pool'; 'organically harvested local honey'; 'specially brewed coffee' .... I need this for my marketing copy! We have a clear ethos at Liz at Lancaster encapsulated in the line 'Quiet Convenient Connected' and we're so delighted that this ethos seems to be of value to travellers. You make mention of Zac as a trusted and reliable transporter, our valuable local knowledge of Johannesburg, the independence of being able to come and go at will, the sheer luxury in chilly Joburg winter of underfloor heating in both bedroom and bathroom, and the shifting of perceptions around Joburg and the 'bad wrap' it gets. So thank you for your glowing words about your stay at the 'utopia' of Liz at Lancaster, and we so hope that you will return to explore further this mad,crazy, vibrant, interesting city. I really enjoyed meeting you and wish you a wonderful time on your amazing adventure through Africa in the next few months.
Take care and wishing you all the best from me, Liz and the rest of the team: Zac, Catherine, and Thandie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Monarch Hotel
54 on Bath
54 on Bath
#4 of 67 in Johannesburg
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa

Been to Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse? Share your experiences!