“Home away from home, excellent service”

Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 305 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Traveling alone with my 20 year old daughter first time to Africa’s Jo'burg for the first time was expected to be a bid challenging. Staying with Liz was like staying with Family. She and her staff fulfilled every need we may have to make our stay in Jo'burg comfortable. Liz's services make us comfortable to travel within the city, and sightseeing Jo'burg. We had our 5 nights stay there filled with activities everyday. Zak conveniently was available to drive us to any destination on our agenda, including restaurant, shopping, and airport transfers. Liz’s rooms and beds were comfortable like home away from home, plus her full breakfast top it all. We Love Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 October 2009

As final stop during my holidays in SA, we decided to stay at Liz's in johannesburg.
I think it was one of the best decisions made for our planning.

From first instant we stepped out of our car we were received by a warmth smile from Zac and Liz. Our room (Ochre room) was so cozy and impecable, big bed -so comfortable-, TV, kitchen, minibar, wireless network, pool...
From this location you have many amenities, malls, great restaurants around and sightseeing.

It was very useful to have the big binder from Liz with all type of informations, turistic, business, maps, attractions brochures, markets, etc... all was in there.. but we still had some extra questions which Caroline was very kind to answer.

Breakfast.... was delicious, and even it was not buffet, you get many options and no hunger was left.

I live in Germany and heard that Joburg is a very dangerous city, but in that area I didnt feel like that.

For sure I am coming back to Liz when visiting Joburg, and of course SA, I missed still lots of things to see...

Cheers!
Mario

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We stayed at liz@lancaster in early september 2009 (2 stays over 5 nights) ..it is certainly a nice (and safe) place and is in a nice leafy suburb in johannesburg... The rooms are great and clean.. We did have issues with the shower but we rectified that ourselves... The staff -catherine and zac - are terriffic... The only downside to our stay was the attitude of the owner.. we found liz (the owner) to be alittle prickly and hard to deal with at times during our stay.. When you are paying good money to stay somewhere this is certainly not what the guest is looking for... and we did not appreciate this attutude at all..!! - I also gunuinely feel that liz doesnt really 'prefer' having kids stay at her guesthouse and prefers the business / couple type of guest. Maybe we just caught liz at a bad time..??
The brekky was fantastic..but the pool was to un-usable (full of leaves and so on) . Make sure you have a good look at the guest houses in jo-burg on offer here on T/A. we found others that were better... feel free to email me if you require more details..

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2009

As the owner of Liz at Lancaster it is obviously uncomfortable for me to ‘own up’ to the one who was ‘prickly and hard to deal with’. Firstly a thank you to Kingrox for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. This is always appreciated. And yes it is a fair review, I was prickly and distant in early September. The reasons why are of no consequence as, in the hospitality industry, more so than any other industry, any personal difficulties and worries are not, and should not, in any way affect the client/guest. Re the state of the swimming pool, I have been battling with rectifying all sorts of major glitches. Over the last month I have invested in a new automatic pool cleaner and had a leaf catcher installed which required structural alteration to the pool wall and paving. It was a major problem that I was only too aware of and I think it is only finally coming right now after at least 6 weeks. (I hold thumbs.) While I could not have done more about rectifying the problem, my error was that I obviously did not explain to all guests that I was aware of it and attending to it. My apologies for that. Thank you again Kingrox for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 20 September 2009

Liz at Lancaster is truly a haven in the city, in the garden suburbs abutting upmarket Rosebank and Hydepark. The accommodation is spacious, inviting and restful. I stayed in the Earth room where I enjoyed the lovely morning sun streaming into my room, the sounds of the birds (difficult to believe one is in the heart of a big City), the breakfast patio overlooking the garden and the peace and tranquillity . What I particularly liked was the privacy and independence and yet if ever I needed anything the staff could not have been more helpful and kind. I went down the road to the Corner Cafe for supper where I had an outstanding meal and also loved the Rooftop Market where I overbought hopelessly. I loved the experience and will certainly plan to be back. All this is offered at really low rates, (probably a third of the price of a Rosebank hotel), and includes all the mod cons (like internet connection) plus gracious hosptality and a hearty breakfast.
A rare find and no-brainer!!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2009

This guesthouse provides luxury beyond expectation for guesthouses. The rooms have all the facilities of a 5-star hotel. And yet Liz and her staff give such a personal service I felt that I was a guest in her home. Added to this the gardens are superb and peaceful. A real treat as I had tried often to get a booking. It's well worth while.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I have stayed at Liz at Lancaster twice - for extended stays - and am so impressed that I will return each and every time I visit Johannesburg (annually). Liz, Zac, and the rest of the staff have created a unique and inviting space that is ideal for work, vacation, relaxation - or all of those things combined. The B&B is centrally located, and the staff is willing to help visitors get to wherever they need to go. The rooms are comfortable, beautiful, and secure - I travel alone as a single woman and feel absolutely, positively safe at Liz's. The breakfasts are divine (be sure to try one of Zac's special omelets in the morning). And the cost is incredibly reasonable. One couldnt ask for anything more. I have recommended Liz at Lancaster to all of my colleagues who travel to Johannesburg, and Ill be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Liz at Lancaster - well done!! . I've stayed in dozens of guesthouses in South Africa, and none comes close to Liz's BnB. Your every whim is catered for. Its spacious, tasteful, comfortable and comes with such attention to detail!! And its so well priced for what you are getting too. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a BnB to stay in in Johannesburg. Its easy to get anywhere from Liz's. They even picked me up from the airport!!! Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business