“Liz, Thank you!”

Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 300 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed at Liz At Lancaster for 3 nights with my daughter last week.
Actually Joburg has such bad press that we stay there because we had no choice.
Liz succeeded to make us love Joburg, recommending good restaurants around, advising for visiting museums and places and things to do and even organizing a Soweto tour with a guide.
Zac was an awesome driver, picking and dropping us in Joburg, always with a smile. We always felt very safe and my husband at home was relaxed…
As described in the web site, the room was very cozy, well furnished and comfortable. Everything you can imagine you might need during your stay is in the room. Breakfast was delicious. Best of all, a very a welcoming and friendly atmosphere.
Hope we'll come back!

• Stayed: September 2010
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2010

I am so pleased that your perceptions of Joburg changed after visiting. This has always happened with guests who stay here on their first visit. There are lots of downsides to Joburg - traffic is horrendous, you do have to be aware - more so than in most big cities, the public transport is inadequate and there is no compact urban centre. But it is a city in constant state of change and that makes it an exciting city. There are great restaurants , the shopping is excellent and the climate is often regarded as 'the best in the world'. Plus Jozi-ites are famously friendly and welcoming. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Joburg stay at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse. From all at Liz at Lancaster

There are newer reviews for Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse

Reviewed 22 September 2010

We have stayed at Liz@Lancaster three times in the past 2 years. Every stay has been perfect. A warm welcome at an efficiently run establishment, comfortable rooms and a generous breakfast. Add to that the good advice Liz is able to give on things to do and see in Johannesburg, Zac's availability for transport, and laundry beautifully done - it is the perfect place to base oneself. Is the best part the warm bathroom floors in the early morning?

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

One of the best compliments we can have here at Liz at Lancaster is when 'repeat 'guests arrive and say 'It's like coming home'. We obviously cannot please everybody all the time, but many guests have been coming for years and comment on the personal attention and the friendly welcome from the team here at the guesthouse. We really appreciate your comments and taking the time to write about your experience at Liz at Lancaster. We hope to see you back in the not too distant future.
From all the team at Liz at Lancaster

Reviewed 19 September 2010

We didn't get off to a good start on arriving at Liz at Lancaster. We were allocated a different room to the one we had booked. Zac told us we had more space but as we were staying for 1 night space was not an issue and we would have preferred the 'Coral' room as confirmed.
Unfortunately the pool was unusable due to the number of leaves and Liz explained that the pool maintenance man was due the next morning.
The breakfast was very good and Liz recommended a very good restaurant where we had an excellent meal.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Oh dear! The swimming pool is my Achilles' Heel. A huge camphor tree which is very beautiful but overhangs part of the pool, sheds its leaves annually (and copiously) in September/October. And this adds major extra pressure to maintenance during this time of the year. Even though the temperature makes the pool unswimmable until October, this should still not be allowed happen as it does not look good. The aesthetics were not helped by the lawn getting really damaged in our cold winter this year and still battling to come through the black topsoil we layed down in our efforts to encourage its summer growth. I know at the time I offered a bottle of wine or drinks of your choice 'on the house' as apology for the pool, but my huge apologies once again.
Re being accommodated in the two-roomed Yellow Cottage rather than the Coral Studio flatlet, again my apologies. I had guests in the Coral Studio flatlet who had extended a 4 and half week stay by 2 nights and rather than move them for their last 2 nights, I moved you as 'one-nighters' to the Yellow Cottage (at the same rate as the Coral flatlet) .Sadly running an establishment with few rooms, this kind of thing does sometimes happen. I have never before had anybody unhappy about being 'upgraded' so did not think it would be an issue with you. Thank you for the positive feedback about the breakfast and the restaurant recommendation.
I am sorry it was a disappointing stay but I hope Madikwe lived up to expectations and that your experiences in South Africa were positive overall.
Best
Liz Delmont , owner at Liz at Lancaster

Reviewed 10 September 2010

My best girlfriend begged me to book with Liz at Lancaster when I told her that my trip to South Africa would include two nights in Johannesburg. I’d planned on staying at a chain hotel, but decided to take her advice and give a B&B a try. It ended making such a difference to my quick trip to Johannesburg. We arrived to a warm greeting by Zac, who took our bags and showed us to the Coral Room. Just as advertized, we had a private entry with our own enclosed and secure outdoor seating area. The room was big and well furnished. The temperature of the room was just perfect, and even though it was winter, I didn’t even need the electric blanket. The bathroom was luxurious and the heated floors felt so nice on my feet. Oh, and the toiletries were lovely – I believe that they use sandalwood scented products. Breakfast was fast and delicious. Pictures of the breakfast room on the website are nice, but it’s so cozy and quaint in person that the photos don’t do the experience justice. We didn’t have much time to explore Johannesburg due to professional commitments. However, we had a few hours to play with on our last day, and Liz gave us great advice on where to go in Soweto. I really could not have asked for a better experience and am grateful to Liz and her staff for making our stay so special and relaxing, and to Shani for insisting that I stay at Liz at Lancaster.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Thank you too to Shani for insisting that you stay ! Your feedback is really valuable .and we are so delighted that your stay was so succesful. Thank you for the positive words. Good too that your visit to Soweto was enjoyable and that you saw the things you wanted to. Hopefully your quick trip whet your appetite for a return trip. All the best and thank you for coming to stay.
From all at Liz at Lancaster

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We absolutely loved your Guest House....the best in the country. I just want to tell you, that your attention to detail is unsurpassed. The art that you display inspired us to purchase art. The tendancy is to overlook beautiful items as they are not well displayed in the stalls and markets. However, seeing items in your home made them shine. Liz, you offer really high quality in several ways. Exceptionally delicious meals in such a gorgeous setting. A website that is clear and detailed. Having our suitcases moved without request. Being so kind when I had an upset tummy. Thank you. Your efforts do not go unnoticed! Hope to see you again some day.

I miss your place!
Verity

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback on your stay at Liz at Lancaster. I am so pleased you emjoyed your stay and the art work inspired you to buy work elsewhere. I hope it looks good in your home back in Canada! All the best from Liz and all at Liz at Lancaster

Reviewed 2 September 2010

Beautifully appointed rooms with absolutely everything you might need for a very comfortable stay. Huge quality very comfortable bed, very nice bathroom, flat screen TV and everything that opens and shuts in the kitchen, microwave, 'fridge etc.
People do not realise that in winter Johannesburg gets cold. There is underfloor heating and extra soft luxury blankets.
Beautiful pool, and a really great breakfast. Liz is warm, professional and knows exactly what needs to be done and is also extremely well informed about Johannesburg generally; the staff are friendly and very efficient.

And then there is Marley. If you do not like dogs, be prepared to have your mind changed. My grand daughter was terrified of any dog. By the end of their visit she had to be forcibly removed from Marley's tummy. This is not to say that the dogs are intrusive, they are well trained, clean and keep their distance if this is what you require.

The B&B is in a quiet road but is in an ideal position to get to Rosebank, Sandton or Randburg.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

We so appreciate your taking the time and trouble to share your experiences and views of Liz at Lancaster. Marley especially liked her mention as you know full well thow she needs attention and recognition !! She says please all come and visit again! All the best from Liz and all the staff, Zac, Catherine and Thandi

Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stay with Liz @ Lancaster in June for the 2010 World Cup, a was the most amazing time of my life, share my energy with the employees of the Lancaster. All I had to do is bring my enthusiasm and they give me back a big smile and a the best vibe of my life over there.
They have a really good breakfast in the morning and amazing rooms.
Hilly recommend!!
Thank you Liza, Zac and the hole crew!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback about Liz at Lancaster and your experiences in Joburg. Joburg gets such bad press and it is amazing how when people visit they leave with such a different perceptions. We at Liz at Lancaster are so pleased that you had such a good time here and in Joburg and that you have such positive feedback. We hope it will not be too long before you visit South Africa and Joburg again, We look forward to welcoming you back.
Liz Owner and all the staff at Liz at Lancaster

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Monarch Hotel
#3 of 66 in Johannesburg
Arum Place Guest House
Arum Place Guest House
#2 of 300 in Johannesburg

Been to Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse? Share your experiences!