“An oasis!”
Review of The Peech Hotel

The Peech Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 5 December 2013

In my attempt to find a pace to stay in Joburg I couldn't have been more confused. The Peech Hotel is great value for money with clean and well maintained rooms and extremely helpful and accommodating staff. It's conveniently located 10mins from the Sandton train station from where you can get the Gautrain to and fro the airport. I'll stay at the Peech any time I'm in Joburg.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Stefan P
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your kind words & I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Walking into the Peech after almost a week of staying in large business hotels was a tremendous relief. The website and the other reviews here sum it up very nicely. Nothing feels cramped, everything is well thought out, friendly and comfortable.
My bed was large, enticing and very comfortable.
Ladies: a good hair dryer here is a welcome change from the wall mounted horrors in many far more expensive places.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BlueDolphinBrussels
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & thank you for taking the time to write the review. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We chose to return here having become something of an honorary guest for 10 days during the ash cloud fiasco some years ago. All change has been for the better - the rooms have received a makeover and are very well equipped and very comfortable What has not changed is the attentiveness of the staff (who remembered us) the value for money and the quality of food and service in the restaurant James runs a very tight ship and his crew do him great credit This gem is again unhesitatingly recommended for leisure or business I swear even Peeches the cat welcomed us back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I am truly flattered by your comments - thank you - and delighted that you came back to SA (and with no ash-cloud as well)! Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 25 October 2013

A very nice property in Johannesburg; the grounds are very well kept up. Enjoyed a few hours out in the garden reading and meeting Peeches the cat. James, the owner, was very nice and seemed very interested in making out stay pleasant. The restaurant is good and the staff was very willing to accommodate the vegetarians in the group. My only regret was not asking for a room in the one of the bungalows - we stayed in the main building above the reception and it was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the bungalows on the property. We stayed in the main building in a room ab...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank G C

Thank you for reviewing us and I am pleased you had a good stay. We try to minimise the noise disturbance from the reception to the main house rooms but we will redouble our efforts. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Our company has just run a full week of training courses at the Peech Hotel and it has been nothing but special. The conference room is small and intimate, well proportioned and well equipped for small groups (up to about 12 I would say). There is a calm ambiance that many people in the course remarked on. The Peech Hotel is a beautiful and lush oasis of peace.
The service was impeccable. Not pretentious but sincere genuine marvellous service! The food was also really exceptional - each day we had a new menu with a choice of starters and mains - and each day the variety was fresh and interesting. I loved it all - but a great hot was the club sandwich which was very substantial - and in one person's words 'the best club sandwich in Joburg'! The morning pastries were perfect. The mod morning smoothies - to die for, lunch was exceptional - and then to crown it all, at tea time they served us a whole freshly baked cake! We werent at the Peech to eat delicious food - but the ambiance, the quiet attentive, classy without being pretentious service, and the setting all made for a wonderful experience for everyone attending the courses.
In addition, I lost my cell phone while I was there - or at least I thought I had. I called the hotel in a panic and the whole team moved heaven and earth to find my cell phone. They even went to the effort of downloading video from security cameras to help me retrace my steps. They called me to let me know what they were doing. Finally they suggested that I check the inside of my car - where indeed it lay as it must have fallen out of my pocket. I called to let them know and the next morning when I arrived at the hotel every member of the staff asked me if I had found my phone. What impressed me was the very real and genuine concern they had for me and the attitude that they would do anything to help em find it!
Thank you all so much for a memorable and enjoyable and productive stay. We will definitely return in the new year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I am delighted you had a good conference and that your phone turned up ok in the end! Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I spent one night here - and wish it had been longer. This is a wonderful haven, run really well, with good helpful staff and beautifully appointed rooms. Everything about this little haven is delightful and restful. The only down side is that the metal stairway to the room above us was noisy and the person was up and down the stairs late at night and very early in the morning. The meals were delicious and the choice was really good. It is very obvious that there is a lot of love and care that is put into running this Hotel. We were sorry that we could not have had a couple of extra days to enjoy this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Meredith95
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your kind words - I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us... I am also interested to hear about the stairs - we've been searching for a while now for a product that will soften foot noise on them but will re-double our efforts! Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We came back again - the hotel is clean and more minimalist in design than the similar range The Residence, a lot more restful on the eye and we'd probably stay here again instead. The grounds are extensive and you walk along a path through a garden to get to your room which gives a lovely sense of peaceful space which Jo'burg doesn't always offer...

The bistro is nice, the staff are pleasant - as we noticed last time, there is a slight pressure on you to tip (last time we had two porters carrying our (very light) bags which was unecssary; the breakfast is included in the room rate, but they still print you off a slip, presumably so you can tip the watier which is fine but a bit unusual, particualrly when it's a buffet so you're getting your food yourself and most places just take your room number if you don't have to pay for breakfast). We understand it's more common in SA to tip than at home but we've been to the country a number of times and this is definitely the hotel we've noticed it the most.

We haven't ever used the pool area as it was chilly but looks very nice. It's in a good spot and you can walk to Melrose Arch Mall, and after a while in JHB you do feel like walking! A nice hotel in a nice area and the staff at the front desk were helful in arranging tours and transfers and we'd happily recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Johannesburg. Also do a tour with Kearan from Queenie Tours, he's an interesting guy!

Room Tip: See if you can get one of the upstaird Garden Rooms, they're really lovely and you get your own...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I have noted your comment about tipping and will address it promptly. We believe that tipping, whilst common in South Africa, should really be for exceptional service and not everyday tasks and I think we let you down there. I will be on the case to correct this! Kind regards, James Peech