“A quality service oriented boutique hotel”
Review of The Peech Hotel

The Peech Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Sydney
“A quality service oriented boutique hotel”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We stayed at the Peech on 2 occasions in February 2009.

The hotel is a well presented boutique hotel in a secure residential neighbourhood. Quite close to the Wanderers Stadium and the commercial district of Melrose Arch (with a range of excellent restaurants) - both about 500 metres away. It is about 30 minutes to the airport (off peak) - add another 30 minutes in the peak hour.

As an aside, Johannesburg Airport between 6.00pm and 9pm is a nightmare - expect lengthy (disorganised) queues and too few staff. We encountered this on 2 occasions. We arrived almost 3 hours before departure and arrived at the gate within minutes of boarding.

We were impressed by the personal care and attention at the Peech - nothing was ever a problem and requests were met cheerfully and with genuine care and attention. They were able to provide detailed information to help our touring, including arranging a car and a driver. I gained sufficient confidence to drive myself around J'berg on the return trip.

The rooms are large and spacious with every amenity you would expect - they are in blocks of 2 - we preferred the upstairs rooms with views over the gardens and the pool. There is a small restaurant, overlooking the garden, which serves meals - breakfasts were excellent. Other meals were fine if you wanted to stay in. However, the restaurant atmosphere and food whilst acceptable remained a "hotel bistro". We found the restaurants in the neighbourhood provided a better all round experience (and very reasonably priced). The hotel seemed busy during the day with small conferences but returned to be a quite haven at night and at weekends.

We felt the experience to be closer to the personalised experience you receive in a B&B rather than a boutique hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend the Peech as a quality alternative to the bigger "chain" hotels. The hotel isn't the cheapest option in the neighbourhood, but you do receive value for money.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
hong kong
Reviewed 2 February 2009

How fitting I feel that the first review I write for trip advisor is for the Peech, because it is the only hotel I have ever been to where I felt like I wasn't treating myself - but being treated, cared for, while away from home.

From check-in on, the Peech's professional staff treated me like I mattered. Yes, the room was beautiful, modern, clean and the hotel was excellent value for money, as some reviewers here have noted.

But most importantly to me, the Peech provided me with the decadence of duty of care when unexpectedly - and in the middle of the night no less - I became quite sick. When I was better and home from the hospital, the staff had put fresh flowers in my room, fed me, and even offered to house me longer if needed.

I can't thank them enough, though with this review I'd like to try.

• Liked — fantastic staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 25 January 2009

This has got to be the most luxurious hotel that I have ever stayed in -- and for such an incredible price (it would cost twice as much if it had been in the US)! The hotel features well-furnished modern rooms with i-Pod docking stations and a huge bathroom with a bath and separate shower. The staff is also very friendly and helpful (thanks Julian!) and the hotel cat (named Peech, of course) is friendly and adorable. There is a day spa/gym literally next door which the Peech staff kindly arranged for us to visit. After traveling quite a bit we checked in for one night and then checked out early the next morning before breakfast to go on safari and the hotel packed us breakfast to go. When we returned three days later for a longer stay in Johannesburg we were welcomed back as if we had never left. The Peech is a boutique hotel that would be an excellent choice for anyone staying in Johannesburg as it is near the Rosebank Mall and not too far from the airport.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank miknam
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Following our wedding in Johannesburg, I booked to stay at The Peech for 2 nights prior to us leaving to go on honeymoon. We therefore stayed for a Saturday and a Sunday night.

The hotel itself is amazing and is a welcome change from the large hotel groups around Johannesburg.

The staff are friendly and the rooms are certainly larger and more comfortable than those of other hotel chains.

My only complaint is that even after speaking to the staff when making the booking and specifically requesting a quiet room, away from the dining room, etc, we were given the noisiest room in the hotel, directly above the reception area and dining room. This mean that we were woken up at 05H30 on the Sunday morning by staff preparing breakfast and by guests wanting an early start to their days. Had we been given another room for the duration of our stay, this would not have been a problem, however my advice is do not stay in rooms 1 or 2.

• Liked — It wasn't a large, impersonal hotel chain
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 28 November 2008

The Peech is a really fantastic choice in Johannesburg. It has the feel of a large house with the rooms around a centeral courtyard and pool area. The entire premises is protected by barbed wire, security cameras - I guess it makes you feel safe but also a little fenced in.
The rooms are modern with really high quality furnishings. The bathroom has a huge bath and separate shower. Id try request an upper floor room. The balcony is nicer than the small enclosed garden that the rooms on the first floor have.
Because of security you may want to eat in the hotel after dark. The restaurant is pretty good for a hotel restaurant - though I imagine there are better eats in Johannesburg if you dare to try.
There is also a huge gym literally next door. The hotel has its own entrance. There is a fee for using the gym.
It takes about 20 minutes from the airport and the hotel can arrange collection and drop off. It is a much more pleasant choice than the large chain hotels at the airport.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Delft, Netherlands
Reviewed 17 November 2008

After a terrible and too long stay at a large chain hotel in Sandton, I decided to change hotel. Following the great reviews on TripAdvisor, I selected The Peech. In the end I spent most of the period between July and early November 2009 at this lovely hotel. I was staffed on a project in Johannesburg.

This funky hotel has only 16 rooms. The rooms are spread across four houses surrounded by a lush garden with a swimming pool. This awesome hotel is an oasis of tranquility.

The rooms are spacious and have a lot of light (there are many windows). The interior design is modern (it is not easy to find a design hotel in South Africa) with a an African twist. Try to get one of the rooms on the upper floors as these have higher ceilings and have even more light. The rooms even include an audio system for your iPod. Unfortunately, there is no fridge (the hotel does provide a bottle of water every day) and the choice of TV channels is very limited.

The restaurant of the hotel is known for its outstanding kitchen. I especially liked the choice for breakfast (everything is freshly made).

The hotel is well located. It is close to Melrose Arch (with an excellent choice of restaurants, such as The MeatCo, Orient and Moya). Rosebank Mall is also nearby.

During the 4 months I stayed at this hotel I really felt at home. The staff was very friendly and made me feel part of the 'family'. Gosh, I already miss it!

After having spent almost 10 months in Johannesburg, I am sure this is the very best hotel in town.

• Liked — The tranquility of a design hotel
  • Disliked — The limited choice of TV channels
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Camas, Washington
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Comfortable, well-equipped rooms that feel like the lap of design-forward luxury. I loved the iPod dock and daily in-room French-press, gourmet breakfasts and attentive staff. We had two stays separated by a week-long tour and everyone remembered our names. Warm, friendly smiled made us literally feel at home.

The one downside is that it is really a taxi ride from any commercial center in town except Melrose Arch itself.

BY the way there is a nice park and bird sanctuary across the street for those who would venture on foot.

• Liked — The rooms and their design
  • Disliked — Too quiet residential area, not so close to activities
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple