“Thank heaven for The Peech”
Review of The Peech Hotel

The Peech Hotel
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Essex
“Thank heaven for The Peech”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

We were stranded at this hotel for 9 nights as a result of the volcanic ash fiasco in Europe. Thanks heaven our travel agent found us this place! The attentive nature of the ever so helpful staff (everyone) turned nightmare into, in more normal circumstances, a pleasure. The hotel is clean, safe and comfortable and is convenient for Sandton, Rosebank and Melrose Arch amenities and in season the Wanderers Cricket ground. The in house bistro was of a high quality and reasonably priced and nothing was too much trouble for the team there. We were befriended by the hotel cat (Peeches) and had we stayed any longer I think we would have been given staff badges Thanks to everyone there and congrats to owner, James Peech, who runs a hotel which is deservedly a nominee for best boutique hotel in SA - it's got our vote!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to write about us and am glad you had a good stay (and finally got home ok!) Kind regards, James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Sadly after reading such glowing reports of the hotel we were encouraged to stay at the hotel in mid April for one night whilst passing through Jo'burg on our honeymoon. We wish we hadn't for it left a very bad impression after staying at so many other hotels in Southern African that were so friendly and the staff welcoming.

Whilst the room was beautiful and the overal look of the hotel very appealing, the service was less so. Why did we receive such a cold response from when we arrived to when we left? We didn't know what we had done to receive such rude service to the point that when we left we said "Goodbye" and didn't even get a response. It was 6.30am so it wasn't like there were other guests to distract the front of house team.

Trying to rationalise what we did wrong here perhaps it was because the night before I asked the front desk staff to book us a taxi to the airport the next morning. Thought this was all clear until the next morning when we went to catch the 'taxi' that I found out they had booked their own transport that would have cost 450 rand (versus the 310 rand taxi trip it cost us during peak travel time the day prior). I explained I asked for a taxi and not transport and I received much huffing and sighing from the staff member. After a thousand apologies from me for causing confusion from me, I was left wondering was it really all my fault that this confusion had happened? they made me feel very very very bad for this.

Otherwise perhaps was it because we took up the discounted rate - dinner included package (we were offered by the hotel) that we received such rude service? No one was friendly when we arrived - it was a silent transaction through to trying to claim our free dinner at night.

Sorry nice hotel and lovely eco credentials, but you made us feel very unwelcome. You ruined an otherwise flawless level of service at the other Sth African hotels we stayed at.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AW00dward
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
Dear Amy, I am absolutely horrified that you had such a bad experience here at the hotel. Please accept my biggest apologies.
You were totally within your right to order your own cab and I apologise for the confusion there - I was not aware that cabs from the street cost R310 but we will certainly look into who we use for our hotel transfers as they charge us the rate of R450.
I am much more disturbed to read about your experience of our service as the mistake around the cab was a mis-understanding but the way it was handled was totally unacceptable. We pride ourselves on our service and normally fare very well (from the previous five star reviews). I have watched what happened that morning and know who was involved and we will deal with it appropriately and put some (much needed) additional training in for the two staff members involved.
Please accept our apologies and I will email you separately to discuss some compensation.
Kind regards, James Peech
Whitby, ON
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Stayed at this hotel during an overnight in Joburg at the tail end of my trip. One of the best hotelling experiences I have had anywhere, let alone South Africa. Any traveller will appreciate their personal approach to service satisfaction. The hotel staff were extremely accommodating to my needs, no matter what the request. I also loved the ambiance of the hotel, and the rooms were well appointed.

Congratulations Peech! I will be telling everyone I know to make a point of dropping in on their travels through Johanessburg.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and will make sure all the team know. Kind regards, James Peech
Bothell, WA, USA
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We traveled to South Africa and Namiba last summer to see our son off as he embarked upon a lengthy study abroad program. From the moment we arrived (with a horrifying amount of baggage that would be needed for the extended study program stay) we were treated as if we were treasured guests. The staff and owner knew what we needed before we did, assisted us in finding just the right activities to enjoy Johannesburg with limited time, and even provided us with tools when our son's wheelchair required some TLC.

The food was wonderful and the staff friendly and extremely helpful. While we ate meals away from the hotel, we soon found that we preferred to eat on site in the relaxing and inviting dining room and patio. We also enjoyed the kitty in the lobby - again making us feel like we were at home in a foreign land. While Africa was a true adventure and we had many memorable experiences, we fondly think of the Peech as a highlight right up there with the other sights, sounds, culture and wildlife.

The Stones

• Stayed August 2009
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Thank you so much for your review. The team here will be delighted you had such a good stay and I will be sure to let them all know. Kind regards, James Peech
Normandy, France
Reviewed 13 March 2010

After a long flight from Europe and before taking off for an extended holiday we were looking for a place that eased us into Africa - this was it! A well managed hotel. We arrived before the normal check-in time (I had mentioned this when booking) and there was a room ready for us. The Bistro was in the process of being remodelled so we ate lunch by the pool - no hardship there!

When booking we had asked the hotel to arrange for an afternoon tour of Soweto with a guide. This worked well - the driver was very good and knowledgeable about the area.

The room was spacious and well designed. There were all the ameneties including Ipod docking station, tea & coffee faciliities and good quality toiletries. The staff were excellent and very happy to help. We will certainlly use the hotel again when using Jo'burg airport.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2010
Thank you for your comments. I will pass them on to the team who will be delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards, James Peech
Watamu, Kenya
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I travel to Joburg a lot and I have stayed in many different hotels and the Peech is one of my favourites. Its small enough so the service is great. Having breakfast in the garden on a sunny day is a real treat and the rooms are stylish and large and best of all free WIFI at good connection speeds.

I am also very impressed with the hotel's restaurant - very good menu and we've entertained clients here who have been impressed. Overall the Peech offers a stylish stay at very good value. Well done James and the team!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thank you so much for your feed-back. The team here will be thrilled to know you enjoy the hotel (as am I!). Kind regards, James
paris
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I wanted to stay in a ecological hotel. That's true, the Peech try to be a green example. Solar thermal Energy on the roof, some compact fluorescent lamp (CFL), no fridge in the room, no plastic bottle for spring water, no lift... but do those ecomical and ecological are enough ?
I notced electrical heating in my bathroom, the airconditonner is still here but most of time it is not necessary.
Execpt my question about the green status. I enjoyed. The place is quiet, peaceful. Only few customers and 16 rooms. Don't expect to swing in the pool; it's only for picture (around 12 square feet)
The team is very refined and sweet. The Peech is a little bit expensive for a green experience in South Africa and rate are close to European levels.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philippev
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2010
Thank you for your review and comments. We take all comments to heart and always aim to improve with the feedback from our guests.