“Overrated - Manager's touch needed”

Shumba Valley Lodge
Ranked #52 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at Shumba Valley Lodge this past weekend with a friend. We attended Joburg Day at the Crocodile Creek Polo Club nearby. When seeing the lodge from the main road it looks quite dodge. We arrived at the lodge at around 11:00 am even though check in time is from 14:00 pm. The receptionist checked if our room was ready and allowed us an early check in. Thumbs up. You can easily see that the rooms were recently upgraded. The room was clean and the beds and pillows were comfortable. A few negative remarks: No glasses in the bathroom or room. Only one sweetener, two white sugars, two brown sugars, two coffee tubes. No bottled water. Doubt that this will be sufficient for a room accommodating two people. The towels are small and have seen better days. No shower head in the bath/shower. Had to Google instructions for the universal tv and aircon remotes. The overall dining experience was below average. Staff seemed rude and lacked some basic training. Dinner was just okay - that is it. Was bland but edible - nothing special. Couldn't help but notice the staff reclining on the lounge chairs watching a soccer match (while other guests were still occupying the dining room) Breakfast was boring, lacked some variety and Shumba definitely needs to find a different method of keeping their breakfast foods warm (cold bacon, cold sausage) Would definitely say Shumba doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. Maybe 3 star.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have stayed there actually a few times from 2009 until 2012. It is an ok hotel with very friendly and helpful manager (Andy Jones). Conveniently located to the sites the area has to offer like the lion park, Montecasino etc. The rooms/bungalows are sufficiently equipped and clean.The hotel is also a very well known hang out for the folks working at the airport or within the aviation industry in general. I have met quite a few interesting characters. However staying there for longer than 2 nights, a car rental is compulsory. Taxis are rare in this part of Jo'burg and public transport is not available.

They also offer a great BBQ every Sunday which attracts many people living in the area.

Room Tip: The hotel consist out of bungalows spread throughout a sort of park. The closer to the reception, wh...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2013

A client of ours booked us into Shumba for 2 nights.   I have stayed there in the past but this is the first trip in recent history.   On initial arrival it looks like the place has been given a fresh coat of paint and a bit of a revamp.  The reception was luke warm and directions were given to the rooms, no porters or guidance offered.  The rooms have also been revamped and are clean and comfortable.   There was a wifi available by the rooms but we both had problems connecting, I eventually gave that up and used a 3G connection, also very week!
I thought the dinners were very average, food was nice but certainly not spectacular, breakfasts were sufficient.
The receptionist gave us a hard time because there was some misunderstanding in the reservation. I don't have a problem being queried but she made out it was our problem.
Generally I would stay here again.   In the African context this may be 4 Stars but not in an international context.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Keith P
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I travelled for business and was a bit disappointed on my arrival. I arrived at 22:30 and was greeted by ‘n receptionist behind a desk, keys was handed over and I singed the “rules” of the Lodge.
As it was dark, it took me 15min to try and find my room, no one even offered to take me to my room. When arrived at the room, no lights on in the room, I needed to find my way in the dark to find the light switch.
The TV in the room was old and noisy sounds level. The right side of the screen turn green after a while.
The next morning I have discovered to my shock that there was no toilet paper in the toilets. I would have love to bring this to the attention to a manager but did not see one and as I needed to leave early after an average breakfast there was no time for complaints.
I just think that the owners of this property has gone the extra mile with the setting that is stunning, the interior well planned but management clearly does not up keep these standards.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ters312659
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We spent a weekend at Shumba Valley Lodge and it was great but not to my expectation for a 4 star hotel. The reception at the Lodge by the front desk officers not perfect, as we arrived no one came to meet us outside as we were usinga big bus at least to find a parking space for us. No one bothered to show us the rooms until we asked for directions to our rooms. The rooms are are quite spacious but were not well cleaned except for the bathroom. The TV was not clear. The food is great and the staff at the kitchen and the bar are exceptional in their service. We did not provide all the information for the diets but they managed to cater those people who needed special diets. Overall the Lodge has the potential to improve their services and cleaniless of the rooms because they used thatched grass. Oh I nearly forgot to mention that the beds are comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is in front towards the reception area or facing the reception area
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I flew into Johannesburg this weekend en-route to Mosambique and my office deided that rather travel all the way into town to have to drive out again to Lanseria Airport in the early hours of Monday that they would put me into the Shumba Valley Lodge which is just 5 mins drive from Lanseria.
Upon arriving at Johannesburg OR Tambo International I was met by one of the Emirates Airlines drivers who I had met previously and he assured me that I would like this place very much.
My arrival was mid morning on a Sunday so the place was pretty well deserted and it was a little cool in the Southern Hemisphere for sitting out in the sun. However my first impressions where very positive the place was like a very tranqil walled in village with around 70 thatched roof chalets and Rondavels plus various conference facilities and a Resturant and Bar area.
My accomadation was chalet number 92 and while it was quite small it was more than adequate the room was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom. All the bedding was ultra white and crisp and the towels large and fluffy.
The chalet had Tea & Coffee making facilities , free internet,Telephone,Colour Flat screen television with a selection of DSTV channels plus air con and heating.
I had an excellent buffet lunch and later a really good fillet steak for dinner and I couldn't fault either meal other than at dinner time they served me my starter and main course at the same time.
I hope to use this facility the next time I am traveling to Beira via Joburg highly recommended.

Room Tip: They clain that Internet is available in the rooms its a little iffy to say the least however it is...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mudengineer
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We recently spent a night at the Shumba Valley Lodge near Lanseria Airport. We have been wanting to go there for a while now as we have heard alot about it. I wasn't blown away by the lodge but we did enjoy our stay and will return again. The food was really great but I did find on the Saturday night they didn't cater correctly as there was a conference there and when we arrived for dinner all the buffet trays were empty so better planning is required on that side. So we decided to order a la Carte and we were very impressed with the food, well done! Also, the service was great, everything was done with a smile and were never unsatisfied in terms of service. One thing is we decided to lie by the pool for a bit and the loungers were very dirty and not comfortable at all, I think maybe better (new) loungers should be bought for the pool area. But besides this the staff and the food were excellent and the rooms were also clean and good.

Room Tip: Rooms furhter from the gate are best as you don't hear much noise from the road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Lanseria Country Estate
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Melleney's Exclusive Guest House
Melleney's Exclusive Guest House
#48 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to Shumba Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!