“Brilliant overnight stay!”

Ranked #52 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Cape Town, South Africa
“Brilliant overnight stay!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had the pleasure of spending a night at this venue for a conference and and get together. I was super impressed with all aspects of the venue. Staff were pretty exceptional and the food was great! Bottom line is we (our company) had a really great time. Rooms were well appointed, albeit that not much sleep was had! A special mention must go to Natalie, who personally ran me to the airport at no cost, after finding myself a tad stranded, with my colleagues still snoring their heads off! I highly recommend, especially for the conference type venue, corporates, etc... Thank You!

Room Tip: The property is quite expansive, so if a little stroll is not your cup of tea, I suggest that you as...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pretoria
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was at Shumba last week for a conference with my bank. We really enjoyed everything. Food is good and staff is very friendly. I will be back again and next time I want to take my family because it is also the perfect weekend get away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Venue & Location : Easy to find (via road), and accommodating in terms of group size.
Staff : So helpful and very friendly.
Meals : Food was good and even did a braai for the group and they cater for all dietary requirements.
Conference : Very accommodating and assist with all our requirements (even on short notice)
Grounds : Very clean and neat
Rooms : Impressed with the size and equipped with all the necessities
Already had 2 conferences at Shumba Valley this year (2014) and planning our next conference with them.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Shumba is a gem not far from JHB and also very much in range of Pretoria. I took my family there for a weekend and we really had a good time. Friendly staff, good food and nice spacious rooms. Everything was well arranged and with conference facilities on site I will really consider using them for our next conference. Well done to everybody at Shumba.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Locust Grove, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent 2 nights at this venue and the phone never worked. Was supposed to get wake up calls but never did. Reported it but issue never got resolved. The shower glass was not sealed with no warning signs. Luckily, I happened to touch it, lightly, before I got in the shower and realized that it was not sealed, an accident waiting to happen. Water always flooded the floor. Air conditioner worked sometimes. Front desk staff was not very friendly, need more training. Not enough variety in the food. Some food items appeared to be leftovers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SVL2013, General Manager at Shumba Valley Lodge, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Vera J

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate the feedback that you have sent to us and will be working on rectifying and training the staff to alleviate these problems from happening again.

The Shumba Valley Team
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Quite a nice venue, Jerry in particular was most helpful.
We were there for 3 days, the food was recycled too often with little change in the menu. The food ran out at the dinner buffet. Breakfast can't be guaranteed as that also ran out more than once.
The bar was not well stocked, 3 nights in a row, ran out of all the beers despite out requests and recommendations as to what the group favoured. One would expect better value and product for the prices one paid at the bar and restaurant.
Very disappointed, we shall not be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SVL2013, General Manager at Shumba Valley Lodge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Dorian ZZ

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us.

My sincere apologies for your stay not being what you expected. I am most perturbed by the problems that you experienced and will take these matters up with my respective management HOD's.

Your review is appreciated and thank you for letting us know where we can improve our service to our clients.

Your in hospitality
Paulo and the Shumba Staff

Travellers are raving about these Johannesburg hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Just came back from a stay at Shumba Lodge. I was very impressed with the level of service, the hospitality and the room. We stayed in one of the private suites with private pool and it was beautiful, so serene and quite, it was amazing! It was incredible that it was so quite, we were thoroughly relaxed. All the staff from the reservations team( especially Patricia & Thembi) to the waiters in the restaurant were all friendly and really efficient, true African hospitality at it's best! The private suite was lovely, we felt really spoilt! It was really good value for money and I will definitely go back anytime I need a break away.

Room Tip: Choose the private suite with private pool, really worth it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SVL2013, General Manager at Shumba Valley Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Lee-Ann

Thank you for your wonderful response.

It is always a pleasure getting positive feedback and that you have highlighted Patricia, Thembi and the restaurant staff as being exceptional in preforming their duties.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Paulo and the Shumba Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Zulu Nyala Country Manor
#3 of 3 in Hartbeespoort
Kassaboera Lodge
Kassaboera Lodge
#1 of 1 in Schoemansville

Been to Shumba Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!