“The worst accomodation we ever came across” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers

Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers
Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“The worst accomodation we ever came across”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

Dear Fellow Travellers
Please take this seriously!!!
We are currently trying to get the R7000 we paid for this accommodation. We had paid for 12 days in total for 5 people. On arrival, the beds weren’t made, there was no electricity, the house was extremely filthy. About 8 drunk men in the premises(friends of the owner).We did nt stay there and we feared for our health and safety. The owner avoided us when we called him on several occasions and we paid an announced visit eventually. He is a large, very racist and aggressive Afrikaans man who pushed us off his premises and wanted to crush my phone when i tried to take pictures of the place- and refused blatantly to refund us. Needless to say he has received the sum of R7000 free of charge. Please please please do not book this accommodation.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Tumi26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

While the location is pretty nice for Johannesburg (within walking distance of the mall, Gautrain station, and bus), the backpackers itself is pretty dismal. There was no heat and the windows didn't close all the way, leading to nights sleeping under 5 duvets and still freezing! The rooms and bathrooms weren't filthy, but I wouldn't call them clean either. Kitchen was a mess, and I always felt very nervous using the crockery and utensils. The owner was constantly drunk and screaming, acting like a disgusting idiot. I was incredibly turned off the my number of long-term residents, mostly local men working in construction and the like, that were living in the hostel. As a young female travelling alone, I was made to feel very uncomfortable and occasionally feared for my safety

Room Tip: Spurge on the double rooms. It is the same price as a lot of dorms accommodation in CPT.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank knrose29

Travellers are raving about these Johannesburg hotels

Wokingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

My daughter and her friend from London booked this dosshouse on a recent visit to SA. My husband and I were staying elsewhere and when we came to drop them off I was appalled and refused to allow them to stay. The showers were mouldy, the beds looked like several previous occupants had slept in them and they had not been changed and the place was generally a mess. The owner was not there at the time and, despite several phone calls, was always too busy to speak to me. He never called me back and, as a result, we never received a refund. Unfortunately my daughter had paid for 2 nights in full so she lost more than her deposit. I am South African so know what to expect there and this place is just awful. DON'T GO HERE - I wouldn't recommend it to an aardvark!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank GoJosi
Copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2010

I've booked and paid a deposit with my credit card in order to stay at Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers in June 2010. That was months ago now. However, it was a mistake and I lost the deposit. That's all fine and part of the conditions.

But so is this: "In the event of a no show, your card will be charged for the first nights accommodation total"

Therefore I have on six separate occasions now, no less, (I know, d'oh...six times? Do you think they are going to reply the fith or sixth time? ;) cancelled the booking and asked for a confirmation. Which I haven't received. In fact they haven't even bothered to reply. Event though I've emailed both them and even their webmaster.

I know, if they do charge for the first day, I can complain to VISA and get the money back. But still, it'll be a hassle.

So I guess, judging from my experience, I would say be sure you want to stay there before you book.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Finndk
Zoo L, Owner at Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Well Finndk, Do you know what rip off means. Please detail exactly what was ripped off.( IN YOUR CASE NOTHING.) I find your review the kind of knee jerk reaction that a little spoilt child will make when he does not get his way.

Firstly, you never booked directly with the lodge but with Hostelworld. You paid Hostelworld a deposit which is their 10% commission for facilitating the booking. You have neither paid Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers nor directly made the booking with the lodge. You cancelled with Hostelworld and they sent you a cancellation notice confirming the cancellation of your booking. End of story

But, you are obviously very insecure and very tight fisted because you then read a condition from Hostelworld: - "In the event of a no show, your card will be charged for the first nights accommodation total"
You were sent a mail detailing that you cancelled the booking with hostelworld, but still kept sending e-mails.

Your review is totally worthless and just the ramblings of a spoilt little child throwing a tantrum for the following reasons.

1) You have never stayed or even been to at Africa's Zoo Lodge Backpackers. (How can you comment on location, Service, Value, Cleanliness, Sleep quality or our rooms???)

2) You have never seen the lodge inside or out or our gardens. (How can you comment on Swimming Pool or our fitness centre?)

You would have had to give us the lowest rating for all the above mentioned categories to get a review total that you gave the lodge.

You are nothing but a vindictive spoilt brat. I will be getting in contact with your mother to wash your mouth out and give you a good spanking.
Wimbeldon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

Thank you Tim Derek and Mike for a wonderful stay at your Lodge. The Kruger walking Safari and the Delta and Vic Falls where awesome. Friday night Braai (BBQ) where the best. I found Zoo Lodge to be very centrally located with taxis and bus routes avaiable on the road outside the lodge. Thanks again and keep it up.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Bournemouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2008

Unfortunately we incurred constant problems staying at this hostel. To summarise the following happened

- We constantly waiting for the manager to give us details off our tour after arranging a time to meet him but he failed to turn up. On one instance after 1.15 hour of waiting we went to find him and found him getting drunk in the bar

- We arranged for the hostel to book us a safari tour weeks prior to our arrival. After being picked up by our tour guide we realised we were on a different tour than requested. We couldn't understand how this happened as we booked the tour weeks in advance, paid a deposit and even had to change our flights to accommodate the availability on the tour. Our tour guide informed us that we had been booked on the tour at 9pm the night before departure. We were really angry, as no one had told us of the change and this wasn't the tour we wanted to do. The hostel informed us after we returned back from the tour that it was the tour operator fault not theirs but what upset was that someone should of told us of the change as they knew it was a different tour when they told us our pick up time. We also couldn't understand why we lost our places when we had paid a 50% deposit to our hostel 2 weeks prior to our arrival.

- We booked a taxi to the airport on our last day with the hostel. The hostel failed to book a taxi so we were left waiting for 40 mins while they tried to sort out alternative transport.

-We found it very difficult to get information about the area or find the staff to even let us out of the building as there was no way of getting their attention e.g a bell.

- We found our room quite basic but the pool and garden area were nice

These issues made our stay quite stressful, although we really enjoyed our tour our first day was spoilt trying to sort out what was going on.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

After staying at Zoo Lodge in November 2005 and returning this year in March, the improvements at this backpacker are awesome!

Inside its tidy and clean and there is new bed linen in all the rooms including the dorms. The new manager is friendly, enthusiaistic and helpful and there's also a new stove, a new washing machine, a new microwave, satelitte TV has been installed and the new gym is just brilliant!

Security has also been upgraded and even though this was not a poblem before, one feels safe and one's belongings are secure.

I was also reminded how central and convenient Zoo Lodge is. Its close to all the major routes and highways and getting around is quick and easy. Public transport and mini bus taxis pass the lodge on a regular basis and there is also sufficient parking on the property if you're driving.

The suburb of Rosebank is a 10 minute walk and it offers everything you may need - inexpensive restuarants, cinemas, cafe's, pubs, a major supermaket, several banks, pharmacies and travel agents. An underground station is currently being built, so getting to and from the airport will also be a breeze in the near future.

Dont miss the Fiday night braai (barbeque) either! Ostrich, prawns, chicken, steak, boerewors, garlic bread, fresh salads and its free!

I look forward to staying at Zoo Lodge again and would recommend it to anyone visiting or passing through Johannesburg.

• Liked — Staff and convenience.
  • Disliked — Friday barbeque was oly on Fridays
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)