“Total lack of Hotel Management”

Gooderson Fabz Garden Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #37 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Dunkeld
“Total lack of Hotel Management”
Reviewed 2 March 2008

On arival to the hotel I was impressed with the staff and their willingness to help. That is unfortunately where it ends. There is a deck overlooking the lake on the property that is not in good condition. Next to the lake is a half built building that does not seem to be under current construction and the general upkeep of the hotel is in dire straights. There are management presence, but they seem to be using the hotel as a home with out regards for the guests. What a pity that a product of this nature is so badly managed!

• Liked — staff trying to help
  • Disliked — maintainance of hotel
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank silverstar_8
PATVDV, Owner at Gooderson Fabz Garden Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 3 March 2008
With Chris van Tonder having left the company, things have been on the down side of life and we are experiencing a few problems. We are trying to rectify the problems as we are now an entire new team and is still learning the ropes of the hospitality industry.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
jhb
Reviewed 13 February 2008

I did not stay in the hotel but had suggested having an important romantic dinner with my partner at the time.
The disappointment was grand! The atmosphere cold, and the service lacked training. They had changed ownership and the menu we were expecting to be shown was changed with one lacking variety. We left without eating after the disappointment and I cannot give any accurate review on the food being served. I much rather eat food at a local restaurant than pay twice as much and receive the terrible service I received at Fabz.

Stayed August 2007
Johannesburg
Reviewed 4 February 2008

We were fortunate enough to win a weekend at a Golf Day. My husband sent two emails requesting to book the accommodation, but had no response, I eventually phoned, during the booking I advised that it was our 1st wedding anniversary and the reservation staff I spoke to mentioned that she would make a note of this and see if they could upgrade us.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, the staff (Waiters, waitresses, reception) were very professional and helpful. When I saw the room, I was incredibly disappointed. The descriptions are a luxury hotel with rates of R 780 single. We were put in a twin room, with a shower and toilet that both leaked. While the linen was fresh and crisp, the balance of the room was bland and had no character or effort. Neither of the lights worked outside the room in the passage, and attention to detail was desparately lacking.

We fell asleep that night only to be woken by very inconsiderate guests, who hooted, shouted, dragged furniture around above us, all at 01:00 in the morning. Apparently the hotel was very quiet with only us and these three younger couples, who were above us. The following morning these same individuals had breakfast with an older couple I can only presume are Management. While the lady greeted us as we arrived, they were both dressed very casually (Shorts, Flip Flops), it was the man who barked instructions infront of the us while we sat eating breakfast at the staff, that lead me to believe he was "Management".

True to form we were woken on the saturday evening by the same group of individual, this time, a rather intoxicated man knocked on the door, while the others tried to stop him. I was lead to believe that these guests were infact guests of management.

I worked in travel for 8 years until 2 years ago, one of my clients regularly used Fabz, we were so looking forward to staying and planned a romantic weekend. You can imagine how disappointed we were.

Your venue has such potential, its such a shame to see it not getting the attention needed. If the rooms were given a bit more attention, colour (Not white) and repairs (TV Plug not fed through the unit even though there was a provision, hanging untidily our the side) The small things that need attention are blatant, but all add up.

To top it all when we checked out, we were double charged for our meal, and on request to how our stay was I responded "not great" the staff ignored my statement.

What I would like to add though, is that I was blown away by the meal I had in your restaurant. The springbok was absolutely superb, tender and cooked to perfection.

Please understand that I don't usually send such negative feedback, but if it was my business, I'd appreciate knowing about this, my general feeling was that there was a distinct lack of management and maintenance.

Marie Locker

Stayed February 2008
Jhb
Reviewed 1 October 2007

A lady manager by the name of Emma and her boss Luke are the most rude unhelpful people I've come across. Their service manarism is degrading to any human being. simple enquiries send them realing into a zone where they feel they are doing you a favour by you giving them your money. They make promises they cannot live up to and lie about it. They have no idea what the business actually entails of and cannot advise you in any way. They make you feel like a burden.I planned to have my wedding there and stay at this hotel but after the disgusting treatment I got I took my money and ran. Don't go there, ul regret it!!!!

Especially if you are none white.

• Stayed March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
chrisvt, Owner at Gooderson Fabz Garden Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 November 2007
Fabz Estate is now under new and professional management. It is with regret to hear about the complaint. As the new owners we like to appologise for any inconvenience caused. We are professional hotelliers and would not tolerate any of these inexcusable behaviours. We are in the process of upgrading Fabz Estate and will provide for any type of function and conference and any person that comes to Fabz will be regarded as our family.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Riverbend Country House
#45 of 68 in Johannesburg
Melleney's Exclusive Guest House
Melleney's Exclusive Guest House
#50 of 68 in Johannesburg

Been to Gooderson Fabz Garden Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!