“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #28 of 289 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Saffron is one of the best places I have ever stayed. I will always go back. Melville is full of character, and despite a lot going on in the neighborhood, Saffron itself is quiet. The grounds are lovely, the rooms are spacious, very clean, and include everything you need. The wireless worked great, and the breakfast they arrange for you at a local cafe is also wonderful. But above all, and what made Saffron so great for us, is how helpful the staff was. They were so incredibly attentive, accommodating, patient, thorough, and helpful, despite several unexpected changes we had to make during our stay. I won't ever stay anywhere else when I come to Johannesburg!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stone S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I just stayed here for a week. Ive just moved to South Africa for work and need somewhere for my first week. I wanted somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, safe and with wifi and cable tv. The Saffon ticketed all those boxes. Restaurants are on the same street and there is one next door. The breakfast is good too, its a cafe a few doors up. Plenty of bars if you want to go for a drink and as I said its a pretty safe area. Oh and its quite modern.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bryce Y
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

We spent two nights here while in Johannesburg.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were able to check in several hour early without any fuss.

The rooms are very modern and tastefully decorate.

The location is excellent with many restaurants, bars and coffee shops right there.

I am going back this November and will definitely stay there if possible

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank acekicker77
Roodepoort, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

On the 20th of August 2012 my partner was celebrating her birthday. I needed a different approach to the normal way we spend each others' birthdays. A great experience was to be had as I had us booked in at Saffron for 1 night and had a 3 course meal prepared at a local restuarant with breakfast awaiting us the following morning.

We received service with a smile, a gentleman accompanied us to the restuarant and we really enjoyed ourselves. The room was gorgeous and the layout was outstanding.

Thank you to all at Saffron who made this a night to remember!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sivuyile P
Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Where do I start...the room was wonderfully spacious & extremely comfortable with great facilities...the kitchen was a bonus for meal preparation.
The staff went out of their way to assist me at all times and did so with a very friendly attitude. I thoroughly enjoyed my brief time with them.
I thought the concept of eating breakfast in a close by restaurant was great.
I know where I'll be staying if ever I get back to Jo'burg...for sure!!

Room Tip: Maybe we could have a few more bowls in the kitchen for those of us who like to whip up our own meal...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank janiceglass
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

Very nice self catering units. A lot of space in this well decorated appartement. Really nothing to report. And this is in the middle of Melville corner which is still an animated one.
TO be 5 stars I woud have loved a bigger garden as we have children with us and the garden is not so big (but this is not a big deal)
So you can go there without any doubt

Room Tip: WE stayed unit number 4 (don't know how the others look alike)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank David S
Dakar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

very neat decoration, excellent sleeping (too many pillows actually ;), the service is perfect, the heating good, and the area supersafe. my trip was for business and the elegance / space of the rooms also allow to receive contacts for work meetings. although the venue seems more thought of for love weekends.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice, #2 also but smaller and closer to street, may be noisy on weekend nights as this...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business