“staff and food excellent”
Review of Browns of Rivonia

Browns of Rivonia
Ranked #120 of 1,304 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: African, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Once a rambling old farmhouse, Browns is a Johannesburg landmark. Previously situated in the heart of Rivonia, it recently moved to Lonehill in Sandton; in a more serene setup. The restaurant for last 26 years has boasted of the finest wine collection in the country, offering total tranquillity in its private gardens. We are now bigger and better in terms of space. The large, though intimate, dining area spills out onto an airy patio and garden. The patio provides fabulous views. The sunsets are spectacular. The restaurant extends to a huge lapa and swimming pool area, a perfect setting for every event that you would like to celebrate. We have two conference rooms for corporate and private functions. The food is delicious and the staff are warm and friendly. A perfect get away place for every season. Whether you are visiting Browns for an intimate dinner, a business lunch, a celebration or to entertain foreign guests, you will discover that service and quality are paramount.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Honestly, this is the only restaurant I have been in South Africa (although two evenings in a row), so it is a bit hard to compare. my excellent marko goes first and foremost because of one of the kindest and most efficient staff I have ever experienced. The food is excellent, although I would give slightly higher grade for the meat dishes than for fish dishes (although in principle I love both). Ostrich and beef is absloutely delicious. As I have no real experience with South African wines, I have listened to the staff and the choice was exactely what I desired. The location is ok.

6  Thank sergej s

Reviewed 9 February 2014

What a delightful restaurant. Everyone who works there seems to enjoy themselves and loves the place. We toured the wine cellar and came back with a great bottle of Merlot. The food was lovely -I had the venison pastry dish. It was excellent 'comfort food' ie. a hearty meal. They have a beautiful garden and enormous koi.

6  Thank Calista S
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I recently had dinner at Browns in Rivonia and really thought that it was very good. I have heard good and average reports about the place but, I can only say positive things about the place. From the service to the food, wine and setting; it was all excellent. The duck was particularly very good.

5  Thank TS J
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I eat at a few restaurants in Johannesburg and the best for me was Browns. It made me think of Cape Town with fondness. I enjoy especially the sommelier and the wine cellars tour as I see many more wines than I had the chance to in the Cape.
The food was also beautiful bistro style dishes and I like very much the venison pie.
Bien joue.

2  Thank Christy D
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had dinner at Browns over the weekend and I really enjoyed the place. I loved the whole "wine theme" and going to the cellar. I ate the roast duck for my main course and it was wonderful, crisp with a tangy sauce. For dessert I have the Ferrero Roche cake which was devine. It was a fantastic evening.

2  Thank Marisa S