“Old, but great anyways!”

Shoestrings Airport Lodge
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We loved staying here. This is not a 5 star hotel, it's more like hanging out at your eclectic uncle's house. The house is outdated, the furniture is a bit old, but from the moment you walk into the front door you are made to feel at home. There are several sitting areas, and I think 3 large tables (including a sunny backyard to sit in) to eat at, a full kitchen. Breakfast is basic (cereal, toast, coffee, tea), but pleasant.

Rob is absolutely fantastic. He is friendly and knowledgable and willing to help out if you have any questions.

We can't wait to stay again in a few weeks when we fly out of OR Tambo.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here for a layover between Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi. I'm not from South Africa, and I don't have a cell phone. I was told to call the lodge when I arrived in Joburg, and somebody would come get me. I then had to go to the information desk to ask to use the phone because I had no coins on me, and received a lecture from the woman working on how unprofessional it was for a hotel to require me to call when I landed. Could the owner not track my flight online and simply arrange a place ahead of time?

The actual dorm was pretty gross as well. There was a rotton banana sitting on the only "table", the owner didn't know if my sheets were clean or not so he pulled a pillow off of a different bed, and my top bed bunk didn't have a ladder. This required me to step on the guy beneath me in order to get down in the morning. Overall, just not a nice experience. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were recommended Shoestrings for an overnight stop in Jo'burg for our 15- year old daughter and her cousin - they just needed pick-up from OR Tambo, overnight sleep, light breakfast and return journey to the airport (on time!) for an onward flight. Everything went perfectly and Rob even calmed our fears by emailing us to say he'd picked them up and they were settled. The price for all this was approx £20 for the two of them. Superb service at a bargain price, we would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our 8th trip to Africa as budget travelers, and Shoestrings has made a number of those trips start and end with a big smile. Rob and Family are always welcoming and helpful. We usually stay one or two nights at the beginning or end of our trips, sometimes more, if we are visiting another country but coming back to SA for flight home. However we have a friend from the US who stayed here for a month last year and explored the JNB area from Shoestrings! We often take advantage of the kitchen and fix our own meals, but this trip we decided to go out for dinner at the nearby Protea OR Tambo. The place is well done but afterward we were very glad to come back to our familiar home-style budget room at Shoestrings. Rob has been in the Africa travel and hospitality business for years, and can advise you on the various car or camper rental/hire options available nearby. He has even been known to lead some newbies up onto the motorway in the Shoestrings comfortable van to get you going in the proper direction! BIRDER ALERT: While working off your jetlag birders might like spending a little time in the front or rear gardens. Quite a nice parade of birds come through during the course of a day. Red-billed Wood Hoopoes were our favorite at Shoestrings during this stay. All in all, we continue to like this as one of the best budget options in the pricey airport area!

Room Tip: There is a dorm available, or private rooms. We like the outside room for repacking after our month...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

You know what you’re getting in the name: Shoestrings. And it’s neither more, nor less. The right place for the right price. It’s a no-brainer overnight place to stay when you need to catch a flight (and, Kruger Park transfer bus companies and the BazBus do pick-up and drop-offs here). Close to the airport, its room-rates include airport pick-up and drop-off – perfect! Breakfast also included: basic cereal and coffee. Stayed private room, which was huge with plenty of hot-water in the taps! Admittedly, the place has seen better days, but it’s very clean. Rob, who runs the Lodge, as others have said, is a fabulous guy, ready to help. There are no lunch, dinner or drink options, so bring your own if you’re planning on using the kitchen. Rob kindly picked me up a bottle of wine on one of his airport transfers but, otherwise, there’s a hotel across the road where you can dine and drink. My boots blew out ahead of a 4-day Tanzanian hike and Rob kindly chauffeured me to-and-from a nearby shopping centre to have them fixed. This is not a backpacker haven, but rather a traveller-stop (mostly overnight for convenience to the airport I am guessing) and to that end, there are all kinds of different and interesting people to meet; but more in a rather quiet, knock-into-each-other kind of way. There’s no real central communal area at Shoestrings, but in Summer I’m guessing the back-lawn gets a good workout. Shoestrings ticks the right boxes: clean and convenient location for the right price. Stayed overnight on two separate occasions transiting in and out of JoBurg and would again, but if staying longer, would book somewhere else.

Room Tip: If it's available there is a private room with access astride the main house rather than in it
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SoozSolo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I highly recommend 'Shoestring' hostel to everyone who's looking for one night or more stay over in Jo'burg. It's a best place to stay if you are heading off to any destination via Jo'burg. It has free airport transfer, breakfast included and the owner, Rob is really nice and helpful.

Room Tip: "I stayed in a single room, which was good"
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hostel is close to the airport and has free airport transfer. You expect it to be all day, but it is only until 10 in the morning. It is still convenient though.

The standard is pretty good, and the staff is very helpfull. We had booked one bed in a female and one bed in a male dorm. Since she was the only girl, they transfered me to the female dorm so we could stay together.

Last thing to mention is the breakfast which was amazing! It was a full hotel buffet! It had toast, cereal, fried tomatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages. It even had fruits and muffins for desserts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple