“A homely place”

and 1 more site!
Airport Inn B&B
Ranked #31 of 68 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is a small and homely hotel providing value for money. We stayed here for a night. Sleep wuality was excellent but had problem with hot water in the bathroom. It ran for sometime and stopped.
We had breakfast here. It was quite wholesome and tasty. The dining area is also quite open and roomy.
There is a small swimming pool and a garden area. Nothing much to expect but the hotel delivers what it promises.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The Airport Inn, while quite pricey for a dorm (nearly $30!) was a perfect stay over for this weary traveler en route to Dar es Salaam. I had an overnight and had the dorm to myself so in many ways it was like having an enormous room, but had it been crowded the $30 price tag would have been a lot. However this very nicely appointed facility very close to the airport, which included pickup service, was perfect for a restful stay. They offer reasonable dinners and free breakfast, and while the eggs were well done by the time I made it, there was a good variety and it's nice to have yogurt and fruit on the menu. The grounds are lovely in that brilliant African sun, the pools nicely kept and the staff so very eager to please. They also offered adapter plugs- THAT was uber helpful since I only brought one for Tanzania- and there was coffee and tea and creamer in the dorm room. Showers were very toasty and we can all celebrate a good hot shower after 20 hours in a cold airplane. The dorm is bright and sunny in the morning. Special wonderful note- you get TWO big fat pillows, and for my money, that was a nice detail to help sleep off the jet lag. I woke up very well rested and read to head off for Dar es Salaam energized to the max.

For what this little place is intended for, it is perfect. I felt safe, cossetted, warm, well fed. The shuttle driver waited for me while I shopped at the airport Woolworth's to pick up my own goodies, a courtesy I really appreciated, and little things like this really matter when you have eating idiosyncrasies like I do.

Travelers- always remember small things like tipping the bathroom staff at the airport (a dollar means a lot) the man who puts your luggage in the car (ditto) jobs are scarce and small tips like this are terribly important, and graciously received. By the same token locks on all luggage are recommended- TSA friendly so they don't get broken- and you'll be glad for them.

Room Tip: Use the dorm if you're solo, and it's empty. Otherwise spring the extra 20 bucks for a priva...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2013

It is close to the airport cheap for a taxi or they will pick you up. It is a simple, clean place that is safe and pleasant. I suspect that the majority of guests are just on over nights for airport connections. Front dest staff were very helpful. We used the airport shuttle service several times as we had to collect others arriving later than us. Breakfast was full English much more Than I was expecting. The price was approx £30 uk so cheap when you consider you are half a mile from a international airport. Only downside we had was wifi was rubbish to non existent which is ok if you are on a holiday but for those working it is now and essential service. This is only reason I have not graded excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I was in transit without visa and I googled online for hotels within the airport and Airport inn popped up and I ignorantly booked the hotel. On getting to OR Tambo, I found out that the hotel was not within the Airport but outside. Even though in my form I indicated that I did not have an SA Visa, the hotel still went ahead to charge my Credit Card. I slept in the cold at the Airport lounge, yet the hotel billed me. This is Pure Fraud and Deception.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mean G
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed here less than 12 hours on a short layover at OR Tambo. The price was right and we just needed a bed. That's all we got. The airport transfer we set up was 20 minutes late which was very strange considering the hotel is only 10 minutes away and we had called them when they weren't there on our arrival. The whole being stuck on the street in Joburg in the middle of the night really put a sour taste in our mouths and we'll probably just cough up the money to stay at the hotel connected to the airport next time. The bed was comfortable, but any horizontal sleep feels great after 12 hours on an airplane. There was no hot water, and when we mentioned this to reception they didn't seem surprised or concerned. The complimentary breakfast was barely existent and we chose to skip it because it didn't look or smell all that appetizing. I got the sleep I was looking for for a pretty cheap price, but I wouldn't recommend staying here for any extended period of time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked a large deluxe room a few days ago at a cost of 750 Rands, The whole place is shabby and a bit skanky, the pool was unusable unless you wanted an infection. The room was large but old and shabby looking, small tv with about 3 crap English channels (no DSTV). For some reason it had central heating but no air con or ceiling fan. A small noisy portable fan was available from reception but drowned out the tv which was then in turn ocasioanaly drowned out by planes taking off/landing (it's very close to the airport). Wifi did not stretch to the room but was available in the restraunt but still slow. The free breakfast was ok but not great, I asked for omelette and was told only fried eggs, then the next bloke ordered scrambled eggs no problem. The free shuttle to the airport stops at 10 am. Not far away there is a huge complex with casino, shops, restraunts, cinema and hotels, the Las Vegas of South Africa, rooms online were cheaper there. I almost cried when I realised later on. Airport inn you have to be back inside by 10.30pm as the security gates are locked for the night, not that there's anywhere to go anyway as its a dodgy area that you defo can't go walking about in.
I think it's also a backpackers with dorm rooms and it is more suited to them. Defo not worth the money and I wouldn't recommend it!

Room Tip: Stay at the casino?
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank IanJmofo
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Kind of shabby cottages/rooms, though clean. An undertaking was going on when I was there so in the end it be upgraded. The breakfast was ok but served in the area near the reception which has a very poor standard.

They did not serve lunch or dinner, but the positive is that by entering their backgate you are 50 meters from the Premier Hotel and they serve delicious food and great wines in a nice environment at a real valualbe cost.

Overall, value for the money on a short overnight stay between flights.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the reception so you do not get one in the back where you're window is to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo