“Good place for an overnight stay near OR Tambo, with some reservations”
Review of Airport Inn B&B

and 1 more site!
Airport Inn B&B
Ranked #31 of 68 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Had to stay one night between my arrival at South Africa and my domestic flight. The promised shuttle to the B&B waited for me as promised. The room was as specified - twin room with shower, although pretty basic in design. A nice touch was the full set of electrical outlets at the desk - one M type, two C type and one G-type, which enabled me to connect all my devices and do some work. Breakfast was standard South African fare, and served in a nice thatch-roofed pavilion. The grounds are well maintained and relaxing, but going out on foot, although supposedly safe, is quite useless, as this is a residential area, and the nearest shop/restaurant is over 2km away.

Two minor issues: The water heater had quite a low capacity, and when the hot water ran out, it happened within 5 seconds. The front desk clerk, while answering my question, did it in a way that left some to be desired - more often than not, I could not understand his answers or directions.

Overall, for $40 US a night, this is a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AmitaiIrron

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Our room was clean, dated and small. It was hardly possible to move in the bathroom. There were coffee making facilities and a very small television set in the room. Management should consider providing hair dryers. I suppose clientele is mostly transit passengers - who often try to travel as light as possible. Our KLM flight was on time and customs and baggage collection went without a hitch. Yet, there was nobody to meet us at the allocated place (at Information) in the airport. We were roughly ten passengers who had to wait for 10 minutes for the shuttle to arrive (one of the passengers/guests phoned the B&B to remind them). Checking in went smoothly. The transfer back to the airport the following day was on time. I would suggest that management change the starting time for breakfast from 7:00 to 6:30. If it was not the good will of the lady in charge of the breakfast four guest would have missed out on a tasty breakfast. Despite my critique, I will use the B&B again in future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CoreneBloemfontein
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Obvious plus is the airport transfer, stayed twice to fly in and out OR Tambo airport. Pick up is fast, on the condition you call them and inform where they can pick you up. It only took 5 min. I would not rely on the fact you have given arrival time. Please note, if your transfer to the airport is deviating from the scheduled shuttle service, you pay extra. Booking through internet advisable, cheaper than booking directly (even for the same room, 2 days later?) Looks a nice place to get in with kids, just took a glimpse of play area and swimming pool, and surprisingly clean and well maintained. But remember your are staying almost on the airport, so the noise of the airplanes is all around, until late and very early. Shower is hot (but small). Room, bed and bar/restaurant are OK for the price

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 111HelenGo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I recently stayed overnight at this property in transit from Zimbabwe to Singapore.
When booking I advised them I required their free transfer service from airport to hotel and return--I gave them flight details and transfer was confirmed with instructions to look for driver with sign at information desk in terminal. Flight on time and after immigration etc I was at appointed spot within 30 minutes --no sign of driver---20 mins later approached info desk for assistance---pretty quickly got told to go away---I did not have a phone and requested they ring property--I had number. Phones not for public--phone boxes down other end of terminal--get lost. Had no local currency. Stood around for another 10 minutes and a very helpful young (I am 72) security guy dressed in army type camo. outfit who had witnessed all of this offered to help---he used his personal phone and rang hotel for me---another 20 mins and driver appeared---he obviously sitting at hotel. Hotel OK for what I paid, but unbelievably would not accept R100 note in payment for dinner charge as it "old note"---which still legal tender currency in RSA---I paid for chocolates with it at airport on way out

Room Tip: Room OK with me for what I paid===around R650---pay more for better. Wanted handy to airport, but th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Don M
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here 1 night for connecting flight. Breakfast is provided and also free shuttle service to nearby Gautrain station.
It is a very simple standard room with dated furnishing. I was given a 2nd level room with wooden flooring, it sometime make some noise when walk over it and I wonder if the lower level room could be affected. But do note that the room seems to have only heater and not cold air-condition. So this may not be the room you want to stay in a hot summer day. As for the heater, it has a notice saying " the heater is centrally control and will automatically trigger only at certain temperature".
The day time staff are great and helpful. I cannot say the same for the night shift staff. I had mosquitos in the room and buzzing around my ears. There are no phone in the room and therefore I had to walk to the reception to request for mosquito spray. The night shift staff did not show any interest in helping and simple answer was "we don't have one."

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hanbert
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Spent there 4 nights. The place itself is not bad. The building and furniture is quite old which sometimes give you a specific smell. The service is good, personnel is friendly. Self-catering possibilities are here, but sometimes limited (we could not find enough forks and knives). In general I would say the place is not bad, worth its money, but could be better.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We arrived at this place and were surprised to see how small it was! The pictures on the booking site are misleading and out of date. The huge glittering pool is non-existent and is actually replaced by a tiny pond-sized pool. The rooms are ground level and are small, cramped and out-of fashion! The dinner food was poor and took a long time to prepare. Breakfast was included and was average. All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: No air-conditioning in ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family