“It suited our needs”

Ranked #10 of 65 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
East coast
“It suited our needs”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This guest house fit our needs of a cheap place close to the airport where we could crash after several long flights from the USA, before we flew out again the next day.

The free transportation to and from the airport worked for us, and there was no need to call more than once from the airport.

The food was very basic microwave meals at night, but we were so tired, that was OK with us. The room is very basic, and on the small side. There is a folding door for the bathroom.

There are two pools, with the bigger one in the back. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to try either.

There was some construction going on, with a truckload of bricks being carted around to the back. That construction was basically silent, and didn't disturb us at all.

It was summertime, so we didn't notice any lack of heat (reported by other people), and we never saw any ants (as others have reported).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
St Lucia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The staff are so friendly and welcoming. Rooms are clean and comfortable. There is a beautiful pool to relax at during the day. Definitely a great place to stay. Also the free airport shuttle is really convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

East London
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We found the Emerald Guest House to be tip top, service was good , no problem with escorting us to and from the airport on time , the breakfast was outstanding , something to remember . We will defenitly book in again if the occasion arises .

Thank You..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Cedric C
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Great place. Inexpensive, close to airport (with efficient pick-up service), clean, helpful staff. Room small, but for the price it was fine. There are no restaurants or shops within walking distance so you have to rely on the guesthouse food. Very basic (and cheap). Filled a hole, but would have been nice to have choice of something a bit fancier.

I will definitely stay here again when passing through OR Tambo.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank DaveNamibia
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to relieve my feelings !
The arrangement was that I would be picked up at the International Arrivals Tourist Info desk Terminal A at 5.30 pm on Sat March 2nd 2013.
I was there and waited and waited and .....waited . Eventually I asked a man who had a card for the Airport Lodge if he had seen anybody from Airport Inn ; he kindly phoned you and then went looking and I was duly introduced to my driver . He did not have a card with my name but drove me to your establishment . On checking in , the driver flicked through the pile of cards on the desk . There was a card with my name on it at the very bottom of the pile !!!! No apology was made . I was travelling by myself ; I had made it clear that i was not taking my cell phone with me , hence that arrangement to meet.
I had an extremely anxious half hour when I stood at OR Tambo wondering where and how I was going to spend that night .
Please review your arrangements and the personnel organising them .
Irene Parker

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Mayotte
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Good place near the airport. Rooms small but very clean. Good price and good place if you are looking for a hôtel when you are in transit in Joburg, like us. Good service (someone picks up you at the airport and bring you back if you need.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We came upon Emerald Guest House because we were looking for somewhere close to the airport. They have been RUDE, INCOMPETANT and UNHELPFUL at every turn.

First we paid upfront for one of our engineers to stay there and inspite of thier own terms and conditions not warning you, they refused to refund us and the staff taking calls REFUSED to put us through to the elusive Managers (I assume Nico & Elsie Geldenhuys) so they pretend to take a message and promise to get the 'manager/s' to call you back. After the 5th promise, the blatant lying became very disconcerting.

We gave up and accepted the credit and booked another engineer in (waste not and all that), and to explain to the new genius on the line that we had a credit took exactly 32 mins of correspondence in total. Eventually when we drew a picture he came around and then we had to extend the engineers stay at the last minute. We phoned and spoke to the new operator who was all "yes, yes, it's confirmed" to have our engineer arrive there and nothing had been arranged.
The Engineer then had to make last minute accomodation at 18h00 at night. Couple this kind of service level with the fact that he stated the place was below par, we will not be using them ever again.

Let me say then: I would only recommend Emerald Guest House to someone I deeply dislike.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business