“Convenience at a price”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This Protea Hotel is conveniently situated close to the OR Tambo Airport and overlooks the airport aiprons. However there is a noisy highway between the hotel and the airport and it takes some detor to get to the hotel. The rooms are adequate, nothing out of teh ordinarry and are sort of sound proof. The inerior decorating is interesting with its warehouse theme. The restaurant is plain and simple, as is the menu. The food is nothing to write home about nor to return to. The pool side is inviting albeit noisy from the traffic passing by.

This is a convenient place to stay for a one night pre- or post long haul flight stand over but not for a relaxing vacation or holiday in Gauteng.

Room Tip: I would prefer a room from the even numbers as they face away from the highway. But if you want to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Douw W,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

The hotel is synonymous with the aviation theme given the close proximity to the airport. I am truly sorry that you had a room facing the noisy highway.

I must say that I was really disappointed when reading your comment about the food been plain and simple. I have addressed this with the chef and his TEAM as all concerns are taken seriously.

I look forward to hosting you once again and ensuring that you have a pleasant stay.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice, one night each time, bookending our trip to Botswana. We booked it to catch up on sleep and re-pack before going on safari / heading home, but I still expected a little more out of it than we got.

Finding the shuttle at OR Tambo isn't terribly easy, and they only come every 30 minutes, so if you're at the end of a long flight expect to add ~30-45 minutes to your trip to reach the hotel.

The rooms are tiny. TINY. I guess this isn't a big deal if you're just walking in to pass out between flights, but if there are two of you and you're killing half a day, or re-packing as we were, it gets cramped fast. We spent a lot of time in the bar. Especially when the satellite TV kept dropping out.

Oh, and the bathroom door might as well be a sheet of paper, so you'd better be very comfortable with whoever shares your room.

The service was mixed. When we checked in for our second stay the front desk staff couldn't find our reservation (even when I provided a confirmation number), then wanted to book a different room and charge me again, even though I'd prepaid for a larger one. Finally she found the original reservation and got that process underway, but forgot to reset the room key, so there were a few trips up and down the elevator. Not a huge deal, but it was a headache I didn't need after six hours of travel. On the other hand one of the staff let us use her office computer to web check-in rather than run outside during a storm to the business centre. Bar service was slow, but breakfast service was good.

Breakfast selection was pretty good, but at R155 each I'm not sure we got our money's worth. Food in the bar/restaurant was okay...nothing special.

If I had it to do over again I'd probably just book the Intercontinental that's attached to the airport itself, and save myself the shuttle hassle.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LtDan,

GUEST feedback is important to us and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review.

Being located near the airport, the designers used that as inspiration for the décor throughout the hotel and I am sorry that you found the rooms TINY .

I have taken note of all of your concerns regarding your check in, satellite TV that kept dropping out, room key that was not reset and the slow BAR service. It is embarrassing to hear of your experience and I will be raising this with the relevant TEAM members to discuss how it can and will be rectified.

Thank you once again for the feedback and ask that, on your return, you please pop in to my office to discuss this further. Alternatively, you can send me a mail at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am giving this an average rating because that is what it is - an average airport hotel. The location was of course very good, the rooms were small and spartan, the furnishings minimalist metal and plastic - kind of like an airport hanger I suppose. The buffet was good and the cocktails relatuively inexpensive. We stayed here for two nights before we started our two month safari. The wifi was good and the airport shuttles were convenient. The service was very good. Not a thing really wrong - on the whole very adequate. They had a decent business center also that I had to use briefly. I can recommend the hotel if you are passing through with a day or so layover.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Travel_Pin_Man,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectations and that your stay was just ‘OK’. The TEAM will definitely make a concerted effort to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that we are more than just the average airport hotel.

I would welcome the opportunity of discussing this with you further and ask you to email me your details to gm@phortambo.com so I can contact you.

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Great clean hotel close to the airport with a free shuttle every 30 minutes . Room tip . Get a room facing car park . Rooms are clean , beds comfortable and a selection of satellite tv channels . Free internet a big plus . There is also a gym if you fancy a work out before your flight . Can be very busy with groups departing into Africa so get to breakfast early .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnFinchPhotography

Dear 666Satan,

Thank you for the ‘5 out of 5’ score and recommendation of the hotel.

Protea Hotel has a strong service culture and we aim to offer only the best. Your comments reassures me that the TEAM is committed and I will congratulate them on this.

I am glad to to hear that you made use of our fantastic complimentary in house gym, before your flight back home.

Your recommendation is appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I used Protea OR Tambo for a day’s layover between two flights. The place is close to the airport with complimentary shuttle. However, the day I arrived, there seemed to be a problem with the shuttle bus and I had to phone the hotel and wait quite a bit for the shuttle to arrive.
The theme of the hotel is aviation with a mix of lovely details and decorative pieces, steel, wood and a “hangar feel” to it.
The Wifi works well across, but only the first 30 minutes are free of charge. They should really consider changing that. A nice touch is that they have a couple of iPads across the lobby where guests can log on and surf.
The food at the restaurant is good, and typical for South Africa, portions are large.
Form the pool / garden area you can see part of the gates with the planes. And despite its proximity to the airport, I did not hear any big noises and could sleep well.
Breakfast could be improved. I had to leave early and they start only at 6 am. Being an airport hotel of a larger chain, I would expect breakfast to be available at 5 am latest. There should be also more options, as some people do not eat a full buffet at that early hour. The choice of having a French breakfast with coffee and pastry would have been nice, instead of having to pay for a full buffet.
The rooms are small, and I did not like that the bathroom is open, only a curtain separating from the bed. That is ok for a single person or a couple, but if you are in a group with others in a twin room, that might pose an issue.
The shower is fitted with a rain shower head; however, I think a good hotel should offer a choice with a regular shower head as with long hair I do not wash them daily which makes showering with rain shower a bit uncomfortable. A good consideration though is that the faucet was placed on the side, not under the shower head so that you can turn it on without getting a wet head.
Overall, I would say it’s ok for a short layover.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear exploringwomen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments about the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport on TripAdvisor - we appreciate the feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not manage to exceed your every expectation. I assure you that we will make work of the aspects of our operation that need attention and I certainly hope you will provide us another opportunity in future to show you that we took your comments to heart and improved as a result of them

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel. We had just arrived in Johannesburg and had a 15 hour delay until our next flight. The hotel shuttle is located in the "Bus Transportation" area of the airport and the shuttle comes about every 20minutes. The hotel is located 10 minutes from the airport. The staff were extremely friendly and you'll find a hotel bar and restaurant onsite. Bed was comfortable and hair dryer was included in the room. The shuttle began running at 6am the next morning and we arrived at the airport with plenty of time to catch our next flight. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Rachel C

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

It seems that you had an all-round wonderful time at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We slept here for a few hours. Free pickup from airport which took 5-10 minutes, clean and modern rooms. Rooms were a little small with shower stalls visible to anyone in room but nor an issue since we were there for such a short amount of time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear BillyMays

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

It seems that you had an all-round wonderful time at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. We also have an incredible TEAM, who do their best to pay attention to every detail, from preparing delicious meals to ensuring that the rooms are fresh.