“Great decor ”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Great decor ”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Really liked the aviation decor.
The staff was very friendly and enthusiastic when we arrived. Room was great. Not the normal hotel room. It had a feature shower as a room divider.

Great value for the area so close to the airport. Loved the view if the apron.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Chris 5630,

We don’t want to be a boring hotel and the designers were very creative with the décor. The tires and crates definitely create that aviation feel. Be sure to try out the flight simulator next time you stay with us.

Enthusiastic is definitely a word I like to hear when GUESTS are referring to
our STAFF. Our search for excellence is ongoing and your feedback will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards.

Thank you for your review.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very convenient to airport. Less than 10 minute shuttle. Overall the hotel was a good choice for a rest between flights. The intercontinental is definitely closer, shorter to walk to that hotel then to the shuttle for this hotel, but at the time of our booking the intercontinental was quite more expensive. This hotel also looked a little more relaxing and less business then the intercontinental. There is also another Protea hotel in the transit area of the airport. Dont mix up the two.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. Good sized bathroom. My big test for a hotel is the bed, and this one passed as I found it comfortable and I got a reasonably good nights sleep (given my body clock was still off.) However, i did find the hallways a bit dingy, narrow and in need of refurbishment. Our room was one of the deluxe rooms and cost about $200.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurant was good and reasonably priced, Breakfast buffet (dont think they offered a la carte) ran about $15 and was very well supplied with almost anything you would want. Dinner ran us about $12 -15 per person. The shuttle from the airport picks up where the buses load. Had I not asked ahead of time it would have been difficult to figure it out as its a long walk from the baggage claim. They should add a note to their website about where to get the shuttle (they do have a sign once you get to the bus area). The shuttle comes and goes every half hour (as I recall on the hour and half hour from the airport and on the 15 and 45 to the airport). It takes less than 10 minutes. Despite some reviews saying they could hear the airplanes, I disagree. I never heard a plane, not even sitting in the bar area where they had the doors open to the pool. What I think those people might have heard was the roadway that is on one side of the hotel, but my room faced the parking area away from the airport and road. The bar/lounge area was very comfortable and a good place to meet and talk to people coming and going from their safaris and other travels. Overall, a good choice and if I were in the area again in need of a hotel during my layover, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Note access to shuttle as described in my summary. Also, try to get a room facing the parking lot n...
Dear Greg B,

Reading your review reminds me of why I love doing what I do. Thank you for all of your feedback regarding your stay.

Your title certainly sums up our offering and we are so happy that you found your stay to be convenient and comfortable.

Your recommendation is appreciated and I hope you had a safe trip home.

Durbanville, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This Protea Hotel is conveniently situated close to the OR Tambo Airport and overlooks the airport aiprons. However there is a noisy highway between the hotel and the airport and it takes some detor to get to the hotel. The rooms are adequate, nothing out of teh ordinarry and are sort of sound proof. The inerior decorating is interesting with its warehouse theme. The restaurant is plain and simple, as is the menu. The food is nothing to write home about nor to return to. The pool side is inviting albeit noisy from the traffic passing by.

This is a convenient place to stay for a one night pre- or post long haul flight stand over but not for a relaxing vacation or holiday in Gauteng.

Room Tip: I would prefer a room from the even numbers as they face away from the highway. But if you want to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Douw W,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

The hotel is synonymous with the aviation theme given the close proximity to the airport. I am truly sorry that you had a room facing the noisy highway.

I must say that I was really disappointed when reading your comment about the food been plain and simple. I have addressed this with the chef and his TEAM as all concerns are taken seriously.

I look forward to hosting you once again and ensuring that you have a pleasant stay.

Toronto, ON
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice, one night each time, bookending our trip to Botswana. We booked it to catch up on sleep and re-pack before going on safari / heading home, but I still expected a little more out of it than we got.

Finding the shuttle at OR Tambo isn't terribly easy, and they only come every 30 minutes, so if you're at the end of a long flight expect to add ~30-45 minutes to your trip to reach the hotel.

The rooms are tiny. TINY. I guess this isn't a big deal if you're just walking in to pass out between flights, but if there are two of you and you're killing half a day, or re-packing as we were, it gets cramped fast. We spent a lot of time in the bar. Especially when the satellite TV kept dropping out.

Oh, and the bathroom door might as well be a sheet of paper, so you'd better be very comfortable with whoever shares your room.

The service was mixed. When we checked in for our second stay the front desk staff couldn't find our reservation (even when I provided a confirmation number), then wanted to book a different room and charge me again, even though I'd prepaid for a larger one. Finally she found the original reservation and got that process underway, but forgot to reset the room key, so there were a few trips up and down the elevator. Not a huge deal, but it was a headache I didn't need after six hours of travel. On the other hand one of the staff let us use her office computer to web check-in rather than run outside during a storm to the business centre. Bar service was slow, but breakfast service was good.

Breakfast selection was pretty good, but at R155 each I'm not sure we got our money's worth. Food in the bar/restaurant was okay...nothing special.

If I had it to do over again I'd probably just book the Intercontinental that's attached to the airport itself, and save myself the shuttle hassle.

Dear LtDan,

GUEST feedback is important to us and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review.

Being located near the airport, the designers used that as inspiration for the décor throughout the hotel and I am sorry that you found the rooms TINY .

I have taken note of all of your concerns regarding your check in, satellite TV that kept dropping out, room key that was not reset and the slow BAR service. It is embarrassing to hear of your experience and I will be raising this with the relevant TEAM members to discuss how it can and will be rectified.

Thank you once again for the feedback and ask that, on your return, you please pop in to my office to discuss this further. Alternatively, you can send me a mail at gm@phortambo.com.

Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am giving this an average rating because that is what it is - an average airport hotel. The location was of course very good, the rooms were small and spartan, the furnishings minimalist metal and plastic - kind of like an airport hanger I suppose. The buffet was good and the cocktails relatuively inexpensive. We stayed here for two nights before we started our two month safari. The wifi was good and the airport shuttles were convenient. The service was very good. Not a thing really wrong - on the whole very adequate. They had a decent business center also that I had to use briefly. I can recommend the hotel if you are passing through with a day or so layover.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Travel_Pin_Man,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectations and that your stay was just ‘OK’. The TEAM will definitely make a concerted effort to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that we are more than just the average airport hotel.

I would welcome the opportunity of discussing this with you further and ask you to email me your details to gm@phortambo.com so I can contact you.

Hout Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Great clean hotel close to the airport with a free shuttle every 30 minutes . Room tip . Get a room facing car park . Rooms are clean , beds comfortable and a selection of satellite tv channels . Free internet a big plus . There is also a gym if you fancy a work out before your flight . Can be very busy with groups departing into Africa so get to breakfast early .

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnFinchPhotography
Dear 666Satan,

Thank you for the ‘5 out of 5’ score and recommendation of the hotel.

Protea Hotel has a strong service culture and we aim to offer only the best. Your comments reassures me that the TEAM is committed and I will congratulate them on this.

I am glad to to hear that you made use of our fantastic complimentary in house gym, before your flight back home.

Your recommendation is appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Maun, Botswana
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I used Protea OR Tambo for a day’s layover between two flights. The place is close to the airport with complimentary shuttle. However, the day I arrived, there seemed to be a problem with the shuttle bus and I had to phone the hotel and wait quite a bit for the shuttle to arrive.
The theme of the hotel is aviation with a mix of lovely details and decorative pieces, steel, wood and a “hangar feel” to it.
The Wifi works well across, but only the first 30 minutes are free of charge. They should really consider changing that. A nice touch is that they have a couple of iPads across the lobby where guests can log on and surf.
The food at the restaurant is good, and typical for South Africa, portions are large.
Form the pool / garden area you can see part of the gates with the planes. And despite its proximity to the airport, I did not hear any big noises and could sleep well.
Breakfast could be improved. I had to leave early and they start only at 6 am. Being an airport hotel of a larger chain, I would expect breakfast to be available at 5 am latest. There should be also more options, as some people do not eat a full buffet at that early hour. The choice of having a French breakfast with coffee and pastry would have been nice, instead of having to pay for a full buffet.
The rooms are small, and I did not like that the bathroom is open, only a curtain separating from the bed. That is ok for a single person or a couple, but if you are in a group with others in a twin room, that might pose an issue.
The shower is fitted with a rain shower head; however, I think a good hotel should offer a choice with a regular shower head as with long hair I do not wash them daily which makes showering with rain shower a bit uncomfortable. A good consideration though is that the faucet was placed on the side, not under the shower head so that you can turn it on without getting a wet head.
Overall, I would say it’s ok for a short layover.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear exploringwomen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments about the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport on TripAdvisor - we appreciate the feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not manage to exceed your every expectation. I assure you that we will make work of the aspects of our operation that need attention and I certainly hope you will provide us another opportunity in future to show you that we took your comments to heart and improved as a result of them