“Excellent Transit Location for Travellers of OR International”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I managed to pick up an executive style room off a discount website for one night. When I arrived the staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful, the transit to and from the airport (whilst on Africa time) was regular and easily available, the service within the restaurant was good, the food was good and the room was excellent. The facade of the hotel is cool, new industrial and the open plan communal area is a fantastic place to while away the time. For the cost of the room, I was exceedingly happy here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear YasminaGK

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your stay with us. Consistency is the name of the game and I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts

The designers were very creative with the décor and the tires and crates definitely create that aviation feel.

Thank you once again for the feedback and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

2 thumbs up for whoever (or the company) did the interior design. Using old type red bricks, scraped parts of aircrafts, metal , bolts and nuts...That's why I say it's a heaven for aircraft lovers like me.
Rooms stylish and clean, bed matress very comfortable.front desk not so responsive. Downstairs in bar, enjoy the nice South African draft beer. ( I loved it) and then in restaurant, enjoy the juicy T-bone steak.

Cons: far from city center ( roughly 40 minutes- around 20 $ taxi one way)
The most important down side is that due to being neighbor with airport , they should have used double layer windows which they don't and on any take off or landing , you are awake.
This is the only place for improvement (Attention , Hotel management).
Can't say enough good about cool interior design of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear AliRast

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

The designers were very creative with the décor and truly wanted to capture the essence of what an Airport Hotel could be. Be sure to try out the flight simulator next time you stay with us.

I apologise for noise from the airport, I will look into this matter immediately to ensure that we sort out the double glazing in this specific room.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to show you true Protea Hospitality.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

From its location this hotel is clearly used as a stopover for connecting flights in and out of Johannesburg. You can see the hotel at the side of the airport as you fly into Johannesburg - but to get to it requires a shuttle bus (which runs every half hour) which takes about fifteen minutes. Because of this, once you get to the hotel you more or lass are stuck there. Food service took a long time to arrive and the entire hotel (inside and outside) was "bathed" in loud Musak! The room was strangely appointed with the shower and washbasin open to the bedroom albeit there was a curtain that could be drawn. Our room faced the airport and was quite noisy - certainly not soundproofed. There are other hotels much more amenable for the airport but they do cost more - so I guess it is a balance of cost versus amenability. We had been booked stay about ten days later on our return from the Cape but decided to cancel the booking and opted to stay at the better hotel (better in quality and better in location - literally two minutes from the airport).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Cfab

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor

Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologise for the disappointment you encountered on your recent visit due to noise. Your feedback is very valuable to us as it provides us with a true reflection of our service delivery and by no means echoes the high standard that The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport is usually proud to offer.

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here a night coming from Upington in Northern Cape to catch my flight back to Europe on the following day. The hotel has a free shuttle bus each 30 min to take you to/from the ariport.

Staff was really friendly and helpful, they have a booth inside to organize day or half day tours so you can get to see few places in town before you depart.

The room was clean and comfortable and despite it is right in front of the airport the air traffic does not disturb your sleep. Reccommended if you are staying few hours in Joburg between plane and plane.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear dbdk

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such favourable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times.

Friendly is definitely a word I like to hear when GUESTS are referring to our STAFF. Our search for excellence is on-going and your feedback will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards.

We look forward to hosting your again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Home away from home. Food is great, the rooms are average. A very busy hotel. This facility is becoming very worn and tired. For a transit hotel it is great. The staff try their level best but do drop the ball on customer service. For excellent service ask for Lucy, Cindy, Charles or Ashley they really are the gems that keep me from coming back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear chrishelle,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor

The STAFF are a joy to work with and I will share your positive comments with them.

I look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I travel frequently for business and pleasure and stay in hotels an average of around 60 nights a year, ranging from business to luxury to budget in the Americas and Europe to the Middle East and Asia. Naturally I have many stories good and bad, but I have never been so disappointed with a hotel as the Protea.

I booked the Protea for an early stopover flight out of Johannesburg, and arrived there around 7:00pm exhausted after a long day of traveling through several small airports and 100°F heat. All I wanted to do was get a fast dinner, take a shower and collapse into bed. I had pre-paid for my room several months ago, and it was in fact my second stay at this hotel on this trip.

After having dinner I signed for the bill with the expectation of paying for my incidentals when I checked out - like you do at any other hotel. As soon as I got back to my room and was about to get in the shower, the phone rang. It was the front desk, insisting I come down straight way a put down a deposit for incidentals, or pay for the dinner. I told them I would pay when I checked out, and that I was not coming down. As soon as I got out of the shower, the phone was ringing again and they insisted on summoning me downstairs right away to pay, as if I was a criminal who would skip out. I went to the desk quite upset, and asked to speak to the manager straight away. She was apologetic that I was upset, but she basically hid behind 'its our policy' and kept emphasising that the staff should have explained their rules better rather than acknowledging that this was an unacceptable way to treat a guest.

Basically this hotel has thrown away a lifetime customer and all the people I can possibly discourage from staying there because they did not trust a repeat customer who prepaid for their room to be honest and pay around a $20 dinner bill when they checked out.

The rooms were clean and the beds OK but not great, they attempt to distract you with a bunch of fancy pillows from the fact that the mattress itself is not very comfortable. My room was also noisy as it faced the bar and restaurant. The food at the hotel was very average, a buffet with limited variety and especially not a lot of healthy choices. The hotel has wifi but annoyingly it constantly logs you out so you have to keep checking back in.

The hotel staff are friendly and some thought went into the hotel decor, but unfortunately all of these efforts are pointless if they are going to treat guests the way I was treated. There are several other hotels near the airport that offer equally convenient shuttle buses and of similar cost.

Room Tip: request a room facing the front of the hotel, not the pool, otherwise you will have late, loud music...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank photoguyZurich

Dear photoguyZurich,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay.

It is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience and please accept my sincere apologies; this is certainly not the standard of service we are usually so proud to offer.

I would like to assure you that I have sat with the entire TEAM to discuss your comments and we will be liaising with all relevant parties to ensure that this does not occur again.

Your feedback is valuable and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. You can contact me directly at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Arrived at the hotel after an internal flight from Port Elizabeth.

The free hotel transfer was very efficient. There is even a timetable at the bus stop for the hotel.

Check-in was very efficient and the room very clean and precisely what we expected. The bed was comfortable (and huge).

There was a wide choice of breakfast fare and it was very spectacular BUT we felt the price was excessive. It cost us more for this breakfast than any other meal.

There was a misunderstanding with our safari pick-up (nothing to do with the hotel) but the receptionist was extremely helpful and very quickly sorted it for us.

In summary very good for an overnight stop.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sturmey,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are firm believers in getting the basics right and reading your comments about the receptionist been extremely helpful is testament to that.

Thank you so much for the review and be sure to visit us again when next in Johannesburg.