“Great food, wonderful reception, and comfy quarters”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Cocoa Beach
“Great food, wonderful reception, and comfy quarters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

The only negative I could give this hotel is the fact that they do not take Visa (debit/credit) cards from the USA, but this seems to be a ubiquitous, South African issue, so I cannot particularly blame the hotel itself.
I'm not a big fan of the open, modern bathrooms, but they were very clean and functional. The beds (as well as that of the Intercontinental, at which I stayed days before) were extremely comfortable and the best part of the stay. I was reticent at first to stay here, as other TA reports indicated that there were no full restaurants at this hotel, which is approx. 0.5 miles from the main terminals. However, upon my arrival (Apr 4th), I found this not to be true: The hotel has a full restaurant with a plethora of choices. I was happy when customer service at the restaurant fixed me a special plate of fish for the buffet when I told them I couldn't eat the meat that was present at the buffet for that dinner meal. The buffet was cost-effective compared to the other menu items, so I ate (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) exclusively from the buffets (some repeats, but some new items for each meal).
I had booked 2 nights, as I had a late flight to the USA on the 2nd day. The receptionist suggested & changed my booking so that I only paid a late-checkout fee for the 2nd day & not a full night. That saved me approximately $170 - $200USD. I appreciated her efforts.
I stayed on the 4th floor, facing the airport tarmac (which I liked); unlike the Intercontinental, the windows were not sound-proofed, so if this bothers you, ask for another room that does not face the airport directly.
I was a bit dissapointed that the shuttle bus to/from the airport only operated every 30 mins. And, I had asked TA before my USA departure if I'd have any issues w getting on the shuttles. The answer was yes (due to others w massive amounts of luggage; I just had a carryon), so I missed a couple shuttles. Ensure plenty of time to walk to the bus station & for that of potentially missing a shuttle due to large #s of people/luggage.

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by the airport noise, ask for a room that does not face the tarmac.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Birder1CocoaBeach_FL

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your recent visit to our hotel.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Restaurant and all it has to offer, our kitchen STAFF work hard every day to ensure that they serve the best quality food.

Our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times, however I am disappointed to hear that this was not the case for you.

Our Hotel has many facilities that we offer and we are glad you enjoyed most of them.

I have sat down with my TEAM to discuss the issues you have brought to our attention and I trust we will be able to sort this out very soon.

Your recommendations are appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

i have stayed at the OR Tambo Protea Hotel on 5 different occasions, and it is situated close to the OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg.

The Hotel lobby is quite nice and has a industrial motif to it which is very different. The rooms are cleans, but small and functional, and the hotel over is in good state of repair.

The staff and service at check in is slow to say the least, and the interaction with the guests just acceptable, but the hotel serves its purpose well, which for me is an overnight stay en route to a game lodge in Namibia or Sabi Sand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gavin S
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear gslabbert5119

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

I have sat down with my TEAM to discuss the situation regarding check in that takes longer than necessary but am glad that they show the Hospitality that we are so proud of.

I am sure we will see again and we wish you safe travels.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I facilitated a day long conference at the hotel and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel decor is quite unusual and the conference venue is superb. Nothing was a problem for the conference staff. Refreshments were superb and different to the usual conference fare e.g. little boxes of popcorn for the afternoon session. The lunch buffet was extensive and the staff go out of their way to accommodate all tastes. I would definitely go back or suggest this venue to other clients looking for training or meeting venues. Just a word of caution. While the hotel is close to the airport and the Gautrain stop, it is not easy to get to but well worth the effort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Wendy K
Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your stay with us. Consistency is the name of the game and I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts.

We are firm believers in getting the basics right and reading your comments will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards.

Complimentary transfers are available to and from the Rhodesfield Gautrain Station, be sure to ask reception to arrange this for you on your next visit to us.

We look forward to hosting your again in the near future.

Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was in transit, so the location of the hotel and free shuffle were very conveniente. The hotel decoration is beautiful with air theme. Check in and check out were quick and efficient. The rooms are practical and confortable. My only problem was with the internet that did not work in the rooms and my sheets that were not well cleaned, but I was too tired to complain. In conclusion I would stay in Protea Hotel OR Tambo again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GabrielaGSilva
Dear GabrielaGSilva

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor

The designers were very creative with the décor and truly wanted to capture the essence of what an Airport Hotel could be. Be sure to try out the flight simulator next time you stay with us.

I apologise for sheets as well as the internet, I will look into this matter immediately to ensure that we sort out this problem so that this does not occur again.

Thank you once again for the feedback and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I spent the night in this hotel in my flyback to Brazil. It is located nearby to OR International airport and has a shuttle server as complimentary.

It has a interesting style resembling to an "old facility" or "warehouse". It is pretty charming, clean and well located.

The Wi-fi free, but it is limited to 250MB per day.

The price is not that cheap (ZAR 1,805.00 without breakfast), but I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear RafaelHerthel
Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

Our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times.

Thank you so much for the review and be sure to visit us again when next in Johannesburg.

Schwenksville, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here just one night after the long flight from the US. We were exhausted and irritable. But this hotel revived us. Lovely lighting, a comfortable bed and a great shower. What more could you want? We heard no aircraft noise. The breakfast buffet was extensive and well presented and the chef doing the omelet was excellent. The decor is fun. I would stay here again most definitely! Note to the uber picky - the rooms are quite compact but are very sensibly arranged and are convenient but if you are looking for a lot of spread out space this would not be a good choice for you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merf56
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear merf56

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

It seems that you had an all-round wonderful time at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. We also have an incredible TEAM, who do their best to pay attention to every detail, from preparing delicious meals to ensuring that the rooms are fresh.

I am sure we will see again and we wish you safe travels.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is well placed right across from the airport and has a free shuttle. Rooms are good, with comfortable beds and the meals are decent. Unfortunately there seems to be only the buffet or room service, but headed back to the airport for a meal is also a good option as there are many restaurants there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GlobL
Dear GlobL

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

We are truly sorry that you were unable to experience the diverse Buffet and al la Carte Menu that we have availible and hope that with your next stay you will be able to do so as our chefs ensure the best of quality foods they have to offer.