“Comfortable hotel, good service and food”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Cumbria
“Comfortable hotel, good service and food”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

After arriving following a long flight from Manchester via Amsterdam we were met by welcoming staff and a quick check in. The room was lovely and comfortable and despite its proximity to the airport quiet so you could get a good night's sleep. The buffet breakfast was excellent, with a great choice including hot options. As a diabetic I was pleased to see they had a selection of sugar free preserves.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CumbriaChevalier
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear CumbriaChevalier

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your recent visit to our hotel.

Our Chef work hard to ensure that we serve an excellent buffet and that we cater for all our GUEST, I am happy we accomplished this for you.

I am sure we will see again and we wish you safe travels.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

A very convenient and stylish airport hotel. The room was comfortable and quiet as the windows appeared to be soundproof. It was hard to believe that the hotel abuts a freeway and is across from the airport as our room (overlooking the parking lot) was extremely quiet other than hall noise from fellow guests. The outdoor space with pool, and sitting areas is very inviting and a great place to recover from jet lag. The restaurant serves a varied menu for dinner which we enjoyed and we thought the food quality was very good. The breakfast buffet was not included in our room rate but well worth it, as it offers an impressive array of choices and selection. Would definitely consider this hotel again should we require a hotel at the Tambo OR Airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flymeaway2
Dear flymeaway2

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

It seems that you had an all-round wonderful time at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. We also have an incredible TEAM, who do their best to pay attention to every detail, from preparing delicious meals to ensuring that the rooms are fresh.

Your recommendation is appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Glasgow
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business so didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel. It is separated from the airport airside boundary by a duel carriage motorway so until you get used to the noise of the planes taking off it is very noisy. But to be fair, by the end of the second day you stop noticing the noise.

Staff were very friendly and the prices in the bar / restaurant were reasonable. Good range of food options both on the a la carte menu and at the buffet. It is a buffet breakfast with a wide range to choose from.

There is free coffee within the reception area and despite it frequently running out, staff were always happy to top it up. Free marshmallows as well at reception.

Rooms are a good size and well decorated. Beds are big and comfortable. TV had a fair range of channels and there was a TV guide in each room which meant you at least knew what the TV schedule was going to be.

There is a small outside pool with seating & garden area - however it is on the side of the airport and motorway. There are plenty of sun loungers and comfy seats to choose from.

There is also a small gym in the basement which had a reasonable amount of equipment.

Two small faults: not convinced that having the shower or wash hand basin as part of the main room really worked. Also the wifi was hit and miss and for the last two days of the stay I was unable to connect.

Also beware of the taxis - despite fixing the price before we got into the taxi we found that we were having to negotiate once again when we were inside the car to actually go anywhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BusydeeGlasgow
Dear BusydeeGlasgow

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such favourable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Friendly and helpful is definitely words I like to hear when GUESTS are referring to our STAFF. Our search for excellence is on-going and your feedback will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards

I have noticed you talk about the taxis, our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times, we also have a Travel
Desk to assist with any other transportation needs beside transfers to and from the Airport, please be sure to try this on your next visit..

Thank you so much for the review and be sure to visit us again when next in Johannesburg.

Cocoa Beach
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The only negative I could give this hotel is the fact that they do not take Visa (debit/credit) cards from the USA, but this seems to be a ubiquitous, South African issue, so I cannot particularly blame the hotel itself.
I'm not a big fan of the open, modern bathrooms, but they were very clean and functional. The beds (as well as that of the Intercontinental, at which I stayed days before) were extremely comfortable and the best part of the stay. I was reticent at first to stay here, as other TA reports indicated that there were no full restaurants at this hotel, which is approx. 0.5 miles from the main terminals. However, upon my arrival (Apr 4th), I found this not to be true: The hotel has a full restaurant with a plethora of choices. I was happy when customer service at the restaurant fixed me a special plate of fish for the buffet when I told them I couldn't eat the meat that was present at the buffet for that dinner meal. The buffet was cost-effective compared to the other menu items, so I ate (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) exclusively from the buffets (some repeats, but some new items for each meal).
I had booked 2 nights, as I had a late flight to the USA on the 2nd day. The receptionist suggested & changed my booking so that I only paid a late-checkout fee for the 2nd day & not a full night. That saved me approximately $170 - $200USD. I appreciated her efforts.
I stayed on the 4th floor, facing the airport tarmac (which I liked); unlike the Intercontinental, the windows were not sound-proofed, so if this bothers you, ask for another room that does not face the airport directly.
I was a bit dissapointed that the shuttle bus to/from the airport only operated every 30 mins. And, I had asked TA before my USA departure if I'd have any issues w getting on the shuttles. The answer was yes (due to others w massive amounts of luggage; I just had a carryon), so I missed a couple shuttles. Ensure plenty of time to walk to the bus station & for that of potentially missing a shuttle due to large #s of people/luggage.

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by the airport noise, ask for a room that does not face the tarmac.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Birder1CocoaBeach_FL

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Restaurant and all it has to offer, our kitchen STAFF work hard every day to ensure that they serve the best quality food.

Our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times, however I am disappointed to hear that this was not the case for you.

Our Hotel has many facilities that we offer and we are glad you enjoyed most of them.

I have sat down with my TEAM to discuss the issues you have brought to our attention and I trust we will be able to sort this out very soon.

Your recommendations are appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

i have stayed at the OR Tambo Protea Hotel on 5 different occasions, and it is situated close to the OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg.

The Hotel lobby is quite nice and has a industrial motif to it which is very different. The rooms are cleans, but small and functional, and the hotel over is in good state of repair.

The staff and service at check in is slow to say the least, and the interaction with the guests just acceptable, but the hotel serves its purpose well, which for me is an overnight stay en route to a game lodge in Namibia or Sabi Sand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gavin S
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear gslabbert5119

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

I have sat down with my TEAM to discuss the situation regarding check in that takes longer than necessary but am glad that they show the Hospitality that we are so proud of.

I am sure we will see again and we wish you safe travels.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I facilitated a day long conference at the hotel and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel decor is quite unusual and the conference venue is superb. Nothing was a problem for the conference staff. Refreshments were superb and different to the usual conference fare e.g. little boxes of popcorn for the afternoon session. The lunch buffet was extensive and the staff go out of their way to accommodate all tastes. I would definitely go back or suggest this venue to other clients looking for training or meeting venues. Just a word of caution. While the hotel is close to the airport and the Gautrain stop, it is not easy to get to but well worth the effort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Wendy K
Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your stay with us. Consistency is the name of the game and I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts.

We are firm believers in getting the basics right and reading your comments will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards.

Complimentary transfers are available to and from the Rhodesfield Gautrain Station, be sure to ask reception to arrange this for you on your next visit to us.

We look forward to hosting your again in the near future.

Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was in transit, so the location of the hotel and free shuffle were very conveniente. The hotel decoration is beautiful with air theme. Check in and check out were quick and efficient. The rooms are practical and confortable. My only problem was with the internet that did not work in the rooms and my sheets that were not well cleaned, but I was too tired to complain. In conclusion I would stay in Protea Hotel OR Tambo again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GabrielaGSilva
Dear GabrielaGSilva

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor

The designers were very creative with the décor and truly wanted to capture the essence of what an Airport Hotel could be. Be sure to try out the flight simulator next time you stay with us.

I apologise for sheets as well as the internet, I will look into this matter immediately to ensure that we sort out this problem so that this does not occur again.

Thank you once again for the feedback and I hope to host you again in the near future.