“Perfect”

Ranked #12 of 64 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We liked everything, the rooms were clean and comfortable, they had the room available on are very early morning arrival. The gardens are very pleasant and a peaceful place to get over a long flight. It was nice that they have a honesty bar which is well stocked. All the Staff were lovely and we had a superb at a unbelievably low price dinner at and a fantastic breakfast to set us up for the rest of our trip. The perfect place is you are flying though Joburg we will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Macbully

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at the Avant Garde Lodge for a few days before going on Safari. It was my first time in South Africa, and I had no idea what to expect. We were picked up at the airport and welcomed by Armand; Armand owns and runs the Avant Garde. The room was immaculate and Armand was always available if anything was needed. The dining room is lovely and the entire staff was friendly and provided outstanding customer service. The food is made to order and it was delicious. There was not one request that was not fulfilled. I was sad to say goodbye when it was time to leave; little did I know that I would see Armand again.
I flew back into Johannesburg to connect with my flight back to New York. My flight was oversold and it was the last flight back to the US. I didn't get on. I was tired, hungry, and had no place to go. I was looking in my purse and found Armand's card. I called at 9pm and explained my situation. Armand told me not to worry and that he would be at the airport in 15 minutes. I was so relieved to see him pull up! I got a wonderful night of sleep and enjoyed a relaxing day until it was time to back to the airport.
I cannot say enough about the lodge, the staff, Armand and his lovely wife. They are truly wonderful people. I plan to go back to South Africa next year - I'm looking forward to starting and ending my trip back at the Avant Garde Lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stacy G
UK/Netherlands
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Perfect location close to the airport, very nice garden and area to relax, honesty bar and great home cooked food too at reasonable prices and smiling service.
There are unfortunately some minor points :
1. The rooms in front of the reception area are large enough as is the bathroom, however there is no privacy when using the toilet, a simple Venetian or other retractable blind would fix that.
2, Seeing dog droppings on the lawn is a major turn off even if you love dogs like we do.
3, If you stay as a couple there should be no problem getting your final bill settled but if you are with a group as we were it was a mess and took forever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AC-Crew
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Found quite by chance on an internet search, this was the second visit to Avant Garde in 2014. The place is set in beautiful gardens with outdoor seating and sun loungers where you can relax watching the abundant birdlife. The honesty bar is set up so that drinks and snacks can easily be obtained at very reasonable prices. Evening meals are delicious and cooked by the always smiling and lovely Joy. Prices are very affordable and quality is excellent. All staff are friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms by the garden are quieter. Room 15 has noise from the dining room and room 14 has noise from...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul D
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Let me say - this place is run by truly wonderful people. Armand's father is a larger than life character who stole our hearts - the perfect example of shining South African hospitality! Also, the chef Labio is a fabulous home cook and a delight to speak to - such a shining little star. It is for the people that I think this place is worth staying in. Aside from that, I would never again stay there. The reason is because the place seriously needs a revamp. It is NOT a 4 star but rather a 3 star. It feels damp, smells of smoke, has an antique cupboard and ladder in the bathroom (random) and a big hole in the wall between the bathroom and bedroom (random). And they charged through the nose for the Internet which always bugs me! But please know that the people really make up for the awful accommodation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Run by young Armand, the family-run guest house/ small hotel is very convenient to JNB. Armand himself will pick you up & drop you at airport (for an extra fee). Breakfast included and dinner is available, which is great if you are simply overnighting at JNB, as I suspect most guests are. Internet is a hassle pay in advance for a code which allows you a set number of MB. Honor bar poolside & lovely garden. They are expanding this year, adding 4 more rooms.

Room Tip: Inconvenience – if Avant Garde is overbooked, you will stay at African Sky guesthouse next door, whi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

If you need a place to stay close to Johannesburg airport, don't look anywhere else. Avant Garde is a tranquil haven with the most amazing hospitality. It would be difficult to fault the rooms, service or the food. After having accidentally left our travel docs in the room, Armand very kindly drove to the airport with them for us. Can't imagine anywhere else doing the same. Can highly recommend this Lodge without reservation.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple